What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ocean forest vs strawberry fields

the gnome

Veteran
looks like FF has another soil instead of OF to pick from.
strawberry fields is at my local garden store now.
anyone check it out yet?
how's it compare to OF
if nothing else the bag is nice to look at :bigeye:

Floridian

Veteran
Does the bag last forever lol?My only bitch with OF is it doesn't contain enough perlite.I have never had "heat" problems with seedlings or brand new clones like others have reported.Perlite can be added easily enough but I like 1/2 OF and 1/2 roots organic which contains much more perlite,it's a killer mix IMO

M

meowmeowmeow

Saw the bag at the local grow store.....gave it a second glance, but didn't inspect.

the gnome

Veteran
Does the bag last forever lol?My only bitch with OF is it doesn't contain enough perlite.I have never had "heat" problems with seedlings or brand new clones like others have reported.Perlite can be added easily enough but I like 1/2 OF and 1/2 roots organic which contains much more perlite,it's a killer mix IMO

ive been using OF for yrs now.
never ever had seedling probs from the mix being too hot.
and ive had seedlings break the soil and
hours late be in a cup of OF.

I usually add perlite @3:1 or 4:1 mix
which is actually good imo,
perlite is cheap and if I'm doing a 3 or 4:1 ratio I'm going further on a bag by 25-30%.
i also add a couple tbs of lime per gallon.
I start getting nute lockout 3wks into bloom at times

I bought a bag of FFs strawberry fields
I'll be mixing today and check it out
I'll bet it has added P and K for bloom

Does the bag last forever lol?
damn near floridian!
I'm in the sunshine state too.
I thought of making xtra $$ in tourist season cutting out the
pic on the bag and putting a cheap frame on it like those mexi border town black velvet pics
and doing a commission with one of them guys
selling oranges and boiled Pnuts on the side of the road :D

Floridian

Veteran
Beautiful morning out there today,Damn I love Fla,Didn't even mind taking care of my last few hours of community service picking up trash for the sheriff's dept!

brown_thumb

I'm a newb so take what I write with some skepticism...

I agree with the above. What I have is a supposed 'clone' of FFOF called Victory Sea Blend. IMO, there's not nearly enough 'fluff' in this mix. I mix 50 percent VSB with 25 percent perlite plus 12.5 percent vermiculite and 12.5 percent rice hulls. I also add just a little gypsum and fossil flour. This works far better for me than VSB with no amendments.

Buddle

Veteran
Good results

Good results

I just finished my first flowering with Strawberry Fields. I am very pleased with the results. They were fed botanicare twice and at @5 wks to go I gave them a 1/4 teaspoon Riits Foundation and a 1/4 ESPN Riits Bloom. That's Roots. Damn spell correction. I will post some pics tomorrow when they get the chop. They are in their 24hr dark period now.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Ocean forest is a much hotter soil mix than strawberry fields. It has a lot more amendments in it so you don't need to fertilize at all for 3-4 weeks. Strawberry fields is a much simpler mix and its base is coco/peat/perlite.

-Funk

Nancee

You guys are so lucky to have pre mix of thay quality. If we want anything remotely close we must build the soils ourselves.

Swaziland skunk

Ocean forest is a much hotter soil mix than strawberry fields. It has a lot more amendments in it so you don't need to fertilize at all for 3-4 weeks. Strawberry fields is a much simpler mix and its base is coco/peat/perlite.

-Funk
Strawberry Fields is a pretty hot mix
Got runoffs from a fresh transplant in the 1400-2200 ppm range! This was on seed plants 10 weeks old and flushed to 300 ppm
However, the plants seem to love it. Just a trace of clawing on a Jack Herer x Full Moon Thai
Other strains just eat it up.
Switching to flower in a few days. I'll keep you updated

Vapeitall

I have used Ocean Forest and Happy Frog in a 50/50 mix for about 18 years with Guano teas and personallyi don't think there is a better combo.
I do all my starts in Happy Frog then move them to the mix to finish.
The really nice thing is I've lived in 4 states and Fox Farm has always been available.:watchplant: