What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Place your fresh quality ganja inside the bamboo and seal it with honey from both sides.

Honey makes vacuum
After 2 weeks drying on a sunny roof, it is ready for smoking.
And as happens with most decent ganjas and hash, the longer you cure it, the better it is.

I hope it helps
Nice one too my friend going to have to try this for sure.

carnalrekt

Hey Funkyhorse
Would you like to share which part of the world you stumbled upon this technique?
I thought about trying something similar but with beeswax instead. Are you certain it was honey used? I would imagine it would melt off in the heat...

carnalrekt

Hey Tangwena,
Have you tried cobbing and vaccuming it just one time and never opening it again till a few months later like in the bamboo cure?

funkyhorse

When I say honey I mean the pure honey that crystallizes at temperatures below 25C.

I am not an expert on honey, I use it only when sick but if your honey doesnt crystallize below 25C, then it is not real honey. In many third world countries pure/real honey is kept in houses as medicine, same as propolis

There isnt much difference in the melting temperatures of honey wax and pure honey, pure honey should be cheaper, any of them is perfect for sealing the bamboo, whatever is available in your area is good. I have seen it done with outdoors plants and they are done at the end of the season after harvest which is usually between second half of autumm and beginning of winter when day temperatures dont exceed 25-28C and nights are colder.

carnalrekt

a couple more questions Funkyhorse....

Is the bamboo usually fresh or dry/cured? I ask as i have had bamboo split on me if I worked on It when it was still fresh, though the picture in the link shows green bamboo.

can you confirm that the pic is more or less how you have seen it done??
W9rJadf

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tangwena,
Have you tried cobbing and vaccuming it just one time and never opening it again till a few months later like in the bamboo cure?
Yes my friend and it works well also.
The sweating just excelerates the process and deepens the cure and effects.
The unsweated sealed long term vacuum packed buds dont change as much depending on how dry or moist they were when they were sealed up.
I suspect the bamboo cure would be the same results depending on the moisture content of the buds when sealed up.

carnalrekt

Yes my friend and it works well also.
The sweating just excelerates the process and deepens the cure and effects.
The unsweated sealed long term vacuum packed buds dont change as much depending on how dry or moist they were when they were sealed up.
I suspect the bamboo cure would be the same results depending on the moisture content of the buds when sealed up.[/QUOTE

That is very good to know...

I saw another witeup by the author of the link I posted earlier with a few extra tidbits. ..

"Take a bamboo stem(cylinder) and make one end open and leave other end closed. Now fill that bamboo cylinder with your prepared marijuana tightly (compactly), full the cylinder. Then close the open end of the cylinder(air-tight) and leave it for some months(2+). And I think this is the part of the curing process."

"I don't know the whole scientific reason but this exists as tradition. I was also curious as you so I tried this myself a few times, with dry bamboo stem and with a green fresh bamboo stem. And concluded that putting inside fresh stem ensures better quality and flavor than the dry stem. Then I again concluded that it is the moisture absorbent property of bamboo that does the most of the work and off-course that fresh bamboo smell adds some flavor."

https://smoke.io/guide/@ganjaman/the-bamboo-method-of-marijuana-curing-and-storing-making-of-bamboo-weed

Tangwena

Veteran
Carnalrekt you are right in your assumptions the green bamboo would enable a slow drying and curing process and impart a distinct flavor.
I can think of several sativa strains that would shine with this sought of cure very nice knowledge thanks so much for sharing it.

F

Fermented

Just as there are hundreds of different varieties of cheese, who knows, maybe in 50 or 100 years time, we will see hundreds of areas from all around the world producing distinctly different cobs.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje contrasting cure and effect

Mulanje contrasting cure and effect

Here are some pics of Mulanje cobs made from the same plant harvested at the same time.
Both aged for the same amount of time just cured differently.

The first is a Honey/floral smell and the effects are fast and trippy hard to handle in their intensity.

The second pics are also very trippy narcotic and overpowering but no sleepy feelings more a passing out into a trippy dream world effect. Totally out of your mind tripped out on the floor at least for me ha ha.

The smell is peppery and fermented fruit. The white spots are resin in the light the whole cob sparkles like it is dusted with diamond dust crazy in the right light.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

carnalrekt

Looking nice Tangwena!

I know this isn't most peoples cup of tea, .... but has any one done much experimentation with cobbing cbd flower with <1% Thc or any of the high CBD low thc strains?

Another thing I was wondering is has anyone had success with sealing a ziplock under water to push out the air as an cheap alternative to a vaccum sealer like:

https://youtu.be/XrZPLF0ezw8?t=32like

I would imagine if the surface of the cob is super smooth you should be able to get away with it,....

like if you cobbed it like normal the overnight ferment, and then turned it into a canary minus the parchment on the second long ferment to minimize the possibility of trapped air...

If no one has yet, I will do a trial in a couple of weeks. My vacuum sealers broken and I don't think i can buy one anytime soon.

carnalrekt

:tiphat:I try to give a lil back

those who have no vacuum sealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5N9dOvrpHA
there are more vids...

And take my advice,
deeper water and one or two straws in the plastic bag pointing from bottom to the opening @top,
that works, air channel wise.

Or go another way chepo, will report when stuff arrives.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...ages-Kitchen-Organizer-25pcs/32610783421.html

Thanks @Tangwena again, keep on with your good work.

Some COB pics will follow, i converted.

PEACE:tiphat:

Great! it has been tested and improved!

carnalrekt

Has much experimentation been done with using this technique with alternative herbs? The average dry herb that people sometimes use in their smoking mixes tends to be dry and a pretty average smoke..at least that has been my experience with stuff like mullein and damiana. I'm sure some pretty decent smoking material could be obtained by cobbing it.

I remember a thread from the shroomery where someone had figured out a way to make a very pleasant and active smoking mix out of passionflower leaf by drying and then jar curing over a few weeks.

I hung a couple of passionflower vines to dry a couple of days ago and just finished rolling up a small cob. Ill post on the results soon

S

Sertaiz

That black one looks intense. I just found one after a while, good to lose them... ha

Tangwena

Veteran
That black one looks intense. I just found one after a while, good to lose them... ha
Haha I'm constantly loosing and finding them like a squirrel with a nut stash haha.
I found a stash the other day like winning the lottery haha.

Latest posts

Latest posts