What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are some cool businesses to set up?!?

norcal_sourD

However good espresso bars make major cash.

As a former owner of one such said venture, gotta disagree strongly..The IRS, State BoEqualization, sales tax, EMPLOYEE COSTS ie workers comp, insurance, etc combined with rising, unpredictable costs make this idea a NO GO in the great state o California! And, we formed an llc which we're STILL dealing with the financial fallout from, not to mention that YEARS after closing the doors, the state, Feds, and local B of Equalization are STILL calling!! Fuck red tape, f bureaucracy, and f Jerry B! {Rant off} Love the handyman, service professional ideas. Have done that for years. Can only do jobs under 500$ with labor AND materials tho...w/o contractor's lic tho. There is no Handyman lic.(at least in Cali..)Tree jobs can pay well too. Tough work tho. But whatever you do....DON't open a coffeshop buddy! Unless you wanna buy some used equip from me of course hahaha!! Still got the ice maker machine, espresso machine and a shit ton of asst grinders, espresso grinders, etc etc cluttering up the place. :tiphat:

hotrodlincoln

Buy and sell car parts. Pick a market and stick to it, for the most part anyway. There's a lot of money to be made dealing in JDM parts, Porsche engines, air cooled VWs, BMW computers, American V8's and speed parts.

Learn a toy market, whether it's Hot Wheels, Barbie, pokemon/magic cards, video games, GI Joe, or old tin toys.

You can buy at antique stores or on CL with cash and sell on eBay, then have the money deposited into your bank from paypal for all of those items. It also wouldn't hurt to buy on eBay occasionally.

Collect and sell limited release beers. Some people pay ridiculous amounts of money for limited release beers, think End of History, although you'd better actually own that one since the history of every bottle is easy to verify. better options would be a case of Samichlaus, Guinness 250th or cases of last years Sam Adam's special.

Game console mods, (you want led underflow on your PS3?) and releases. (Oh yeah, I bought an XBox 720 andsold it for 5x retail.) There's a lot of money (or more importantly, the illusion of a lot Of money) in that market :p

7 Willows

"But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!"

George Carlin

S

spiritual uk

set up a donkey sanctuary charity,or make a new religion.My body is a temple ,therefore i'm tax exempt.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
I'd say start a business that is similar to what you do, so you can deduct equipment that you actually use. (tractor, greenhouse, irrigation, etc) You could plant fruit trees, perennials, take cuttings of plants and sell them. I'm starting up a worm farm composting. I compost next to my greenhouse, which keeps it warm, and also live near a lake, so I'm selling the worms, and also they poop alot and reproduce faster than rabbbits, so can package and sell the worm poop, and worm tea which also allows me to grow 12 foot tall monsters.

this :dance013:

Double F

Nice thread

Just saying caus i ran in to my old guitar teacher hes charging like 80 an hour now. $40 for half an hour. A friend of mine has also started doing night tutoring . Hes like close to $200 an hour cash.

Some that i have come up with are hypnotherapist for quitting smoking. Pros its a loosely organized field of folks who can, and folks who con. The local quit smoking dude to me is $500 an hour for a guaranteed for life quit tobacco treatment. He is quite busy, young and has a nice house. Who qualifies him, tests him etc i dont know, however it seems the system is rife for abuse. Sure a shit load of folks may pay on credit but there is ways around this that make your business better.

i like this idea, are there licenses needed for tutoring or other personal services like that?

i do NOT want a business that actually requires running at the moment, im already extremely busy just doing the cannabusiness, so things like coffee shops, oil changes, making art out of metal, that stuff doesnt work for me because i dont have time to do all of that, i would have to hire and manage inventory and all this other stuff that i dont have time to.

something that i can just make appear out of thin air like "im a computer gaming tutor i teach nerds how to play competitive RTS and FPS games for 100 an hour" lol...just an example, i like the piano idea because my GF plays, we have a few old pianos lying around and tons of books and stuff.

Terroir

tutoring here. no.

but mostly school teachers and uni students do it. The uni tutoring pays more.

Music lessons. no. You can either teach or not. Prob have to make a book (real names of trusted folks who for a small amount of bud a year will say if questioned yeh i get piano lessons from such and such if questioned)

hypnotherapy, life coaching, personal fitness, massage, garden design, private surf lessons, bush walking guide , private ski instructor for back country trips , fishing guide (on someone else s boat or fresh water river guide due to drug testing etc)

a good flyfishing guide charge alot. get paid in cash. live near a river make a website, maybee few small ads in a local paper and a dedicated mobile phone that wrings through to a message service. Call em back , say your fully booked and cant recommend a guide as there all crap.

supermanlives

Veteran
buy better cars an flip them. classics rule any thing with no smog. so ya can do whatever you want without visiting a referee at the smog place.lol

gwubba

liar,bullshit

liar,bullshit

i've been working as a self employed tile setter/remodeler for years.
lots of write offs.

as a side business, i buy and sell high end musical equipment.
not at all uncommon to spend or make $5k+ on pro quality studio monitors or vintage gibson les pauls.

selling stuff on ebay requires no store front, and $$$ is handled thru paypal, then transferred to my bank acct.
you say you're long term sick and on unemployment benefit on 420,fair enough sell stuff on ebay but work as self employed tiler.which is it arnie too ill to work for years or self-employed?either way you're a LIAR or were you trying to gain sympathy

gwubba

none of my business

none of my business

you say you're long term sick and on unemployment benefit on 420,fair enough sell stuff on ebay but work as self employed tiler.which is it arnie too ill to work for years or self-employed?either way you're a LIAR or were you trying to gain sympathy

sorry about above post,it's none of my business how arnie or anyone else makes their money.calling arnie a liar is a bit strong.moral of the story,don't post when you have been drinking alcohol.you may live to regret it.atb,gwub

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
If you live in a Rec state you can start a limousine business for weed tours at some of the dispensaries and edible factories. I know it is weed related but the whole idea just fascinates me

TheOutlawTree

A "pet lodge" type animal kennel / dog sitter place that caters to high end customers. You only need a couple employees and some land and let the dogs run around all day. A harder business to run but a lot of potential for real income.

Pizza shop would do well in Cali because the pizza out here is garbage

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Just declare it as "Gambling Earnings".

Cause it's definitely a gamble ! :woohoo:

One year I paid taxes on my grow, but didn't call it a grow.

It was only about $11K.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
wouldn't you like to keep ALL of your money, if you would then you have to think like a REAL criminal, and look at the church

Gold....my step father was a pastor at a large church here in LA Walt aint kidding about a church... I almost spit horchata all over my laptop.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts