What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolutly Beginner - DWC - 100wLed - Some problems.

OrsoMarsicano

Hello guys,

I'm an absolute beginner of hydroponics.
Excuse me so much if I write badly but I'm Italian.

I grow my plant (bubble kush CBD) in a 42 liter (11gal) DWC tank. I use a 100w Cob led Migro brand and my growbox is 90x50x160. (35x20x62in)

I use Osmotic water and Grow, Bloom and Micro Ducth Formula of Advanced Nutrients.

In Italy there is an anomalous heat, in grow box i have 25°(77F)min 31°(87F)max. Umidity 60/70%)
Temp. water 25/26 (77F)
Too much hot, i know... but autumn is coming

OrsoMarsicano

I selected only the strongest plant.

Unfortunately, I had problems setting my ec tester and the plant had some nutrient problems (EC too low, 250ppm in O/W)

09/10 situation:

OrsoMarsicano

Yesterday 09/17 (first LST two days ago)

The old leaves are deficient but the new leaves seem healthy since I raised the ec to 600/650.

I hope fresh air arrives soon because the plant is very hot for these abnormal temperatures.

what do you think? is it a complete disaster?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!! :)
You're in the right place for the information you need.

The temps are going to be your biggest issue. Unless the solution temp is below 70F, any roots sitting in it will begin to rot. If you have access to cold air, put your airpumps where they can pump the cold air through your nutrient solution.

Sounds like you're off to a decent start. Keep reading the stickies in all the different forums. :D

OrsoMarsicano

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately at the moment I can not do anything about the water temperature.

Every two days I use a sanitizing product to avoid damage to the roots. I hope the temperaure will come down soon.

See you soon!

Douglas.Curtis

600-650 is about what I run most of my systems/plants at. I cringe when it gets close to 750 with all but the hungriest plants. The quality difference is amazing. :)

Switching to a roots-out type hydro system will work in the temps you currently have. I understand you already have a system, and it should work well during the cooler season. If possible, start reading up on Ebb and Flow hydro, or drip through media based hydro systems. You'll be able to run it all year round. :)

By the time heat hits next year, you should be ready for it with a second system. :)

OrsoMarsicano

Hi Douglas.Curtis, thanks for your kindness!!!

I found this scheme on internet for my hanna instrument:

PPM for Hanna Chart PPM

Seedlings, Early Sprouts 100 to 250

Early Vegging 300 to 400

Full Vegetation 450 to 700

Early Blooming 750 to 950

Full Mature Blooms 1000 to 1600

Note: EC Calculations are different, here's a conversion chart :

Do you think ppm are too high?

thanks in advanced

Douglas.Curtis

Sorry, no help on that one. I read my plants, not charts. ;) I definitely don't see myself exceeding 750ppm without a perfect environment, CO2 and mass lighting.

Nutrient strength has a lot of variables, so I look for light to medium green plants. Dark green means you're killing quality fast, so shoot for underfeeding if anything. ;) I've personally sprouted seeds, then adapted them to full strength Lucas in 6 days with zero burning. Cannabis is quite adaptable. ;)

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
The temps are going to be your biggest issue. Unless the solution temp is below 70F, any roots sitting in it will begin to rot. If you have access to cold air, put your airpumps where they can pump the cold air through your nutrient solution.

Sounds like you're off to a decent start. Keep reading the stickies in all the different forums. :D

Water temps below 70f are NOT always needed! The environmental conditions where you are growing will affect if you need to lower your nutrient solution.

I have never had to lower my waters temp in a hydroponic system.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I selected only the strongest plant.

Unfortunately, I had problems setting my ec tester and the plant had some nutrient problems (EC too low, 250ppm in O/W)

09/10 situation:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77966&pictureid=1882617&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77966&pictureid=1882618&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77966&pictureid=1882619&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

That looks healthy despite the lower ppm level that your nutrients where at.

you can also clip the tips of the roots like how people top the grow shoots to make the plant bush out. This helps to make a larger root system for the plant.

You mentioned about selecting the strongest plant out of the three. Are you growing feminized seeds? If not, by only growing out only one seed you have the chance of it being a male instead of a female.

OrsoMarsicano

Hi Ganoderma,

there is a lot of confusion about the water temperatures.
I have watched many videos of dwc systems and many people say that the water temperature
should not exceed 20°C (68F). Other people do not care about temperatures.
It would be nice to do a test with clones to see the differences. The seeds are feminized! (Dinafem Bubba Kush CBD)

I hope my English is understandable, if it is not, I apologize. :tiphat:

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
From what I've seen over the years, is that when people where running large undercurrent systems they where the ones that started talking about water temps. They wouldn't use air pump/air stones in any of the buckets. Those are the folks that started the whole water temp thing. Then you have newer folks who come along and just think thats how it must always be done.

Douglas.Curtis

Water temps below 70f are NOT always needed! The environmental conditions where you are growing will affect if you need to lower your nutrient solution.

I have never had to lower my waters temp in a hydroponic system.
You need to differentiate between roots-in hydro, and roots-out hydro temps. Roots-in systems are much more sensitive to temperature than roots-out. It's advised to keep your res at 79F and below, so you stay out of the potential danger zone.

Roots-out systems can tolerate much higher temps, as previously mentioned in the thread. The OP is using a roots-in system, so without going sterile res, it's advised to keep the temps low.

I've been running non-sterile, roots-in DWC for 15+ years, and I assure you I know exactly what I'm talking about. lol
:tiphat:

Hydro8

I do about the same as Douglas.Curtis I keep my ppm about 700-800 in bloom and 400-600 in veg.

1000-1600 seems very high to me, every time I have run 1000+ my plants don't like it.

Douglas.Curtis

I do about the same as Douglas.Curtis I keep my ppm about 700-800 in bloom and 400-600 in veg.

1000-1600 seems very high to me, every time I have run 1000+ my plants don't like it.
The most commonly overlooked factor in hydro is transpiration rates. I'm betting your transpiration rate is up there with mine. I've been writing a tutorial on res management for a proper pH swing, and I'm unable to write it without including transpiration.

(Within reason) The higher the transpiration rate, the lower strength feed you need to get the job done. You go through more nutrient solution, but the end result is a much cleaner product. In my opinion anyway. :)

OrsoMarsicano

Hy guy!!

weekly update:

last week was like that:

Saturday I installed the chiller and finally the water temperature is fresh (21°C-70°F).

The plant seems to have much appreciated, yesterday the plant was like that:

PH 5.8 - EC 490/500 (last week was 600)

The plant is very compact even with the LED at 40% of the power (40w)

OrsoMarsicano

I'm continuing LST and I cut a few leaves to make space in the center of the plant.

What do you think? Next week I would like to switch to 12/12

Do you have any suggestions?

thank you a lot