What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Heavy Marijuana Users Earn Less

Ganja baba

Veteran
zbenjii, an empirical approach to study the effects of cannabis use will always be flawed from the start. why? because an empirical approach uses a mind-set that cannot quantify nor qualify the experience of cannabis use.

the experience of cannabis use is outside the realm of empirical inquiry, and to truly tackle it down, you need the tools of introspection and contemplation.

cannabis use is an art, not a science, to put it in other words.

truly intelligent people understand this; while pseudo-scientists unable to differentiate science from scientism do not.

be good

well said mate ,

Skip

Veteran
I guess they didn't bother to poll all the millionaires, excuse me, I mean Billionaires who smoke pot...

We could easily make a list...

BTW, what is their definition of "heavy" marijuana use?

Oh, and why not do a study that compares the lives of heavy cannabis smokers vs heavy drinkers vs heavy tobacco smokers.

Let's see who lives longer and has more productive lives and happier families.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps it has something to do with the LAW?

Marijuana users are PERSECUTED and REVILED in our society.

With them arresting 900,000 marijuana users a year, that goes on their record and will affect their job prospects.

So it's not necessarily marijuana use per se that is causing lower incomes, but the social and legal effects of being a marijuana user causing their earning power to diminish.

In other words it ain't the WEED that's the problem, it's the LAW that is...
Not to mention that the vast majority of employers align themselves with un-consitutional government mandates that prohibits companies to hire cannabis users, and is always coming up with more and more accurate and sophisticated technology to ensure that cannabis users have a hard time finding any job. And further more if a well educated, well spoken, highly qualified, and "highly" motivated individual is applying for a good well paying job or even say gets the job they must choose between being themselves and making their own decisions or working for corporations and being "successful".

sso

Veteran
maybe heavy cannabis users just don´t want to be the guy that "produces at a maximum potential".

what does that entail ?

usually, being somebodies bitch 24/7 for a limited wealth and benefits.

kissing ass (making social connections)

behaving a certain way and fitting the mold (complete loss of personal freedom, you golf because you are supposed to, you have this car because you are supposed to, you have this sort of wife, cause you are supposed to)

and going your own way (legally) well,,thats a lot of hardwork for a lottery´s chances at success including a heavy chance of a heart attack before 50.

i could go on, but really, this does not seem worth the "wealth" and "prestige" this brings..

you dont really need that much to have a good life..

and the less time you spend reaching for gold, could be spent having some of the real wealth in the world.

good times. :)

Responsible Cannabis Use is Real

Responsible Cannabis Use is Real

Bullshit I prove this study wrong everyday and I am a legal med patient. I have a high paying job, went to school own a house. There is such thing as responsible cannabis use

praisehim.

Veteran
money grows on trees. I've yet to of found any in a pint of brew :( but always do in my curing room :)

guess ill keep on smokin !

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At the same time they were gathering those results, they should have also considered who was more stressed. Give me peace of mind. Fuck trying to make the paper.

zbenjii

Bullshit I prove this study wrong everyday and I am a legal med patient. I have a high paying job, went to school own a house. There is such thing as responsible cannabis use

This study shows there is a higher chance of earning a lower income when ingesting marijuana. It also shows that people that ingest more marijuana are more likely to earn a lower wage.

This does not mean every marijuana smoker will earn a lower wage than every non smoker. It just means marijuana smokers are a certain percent more likely to earn a lower wage and heavier smokers tend to make even less.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your quote from your study you brought here- As you can see, the estimated decrease in income at the age of 23 for each day of marijuana use as a teen and each day of cigarette use as a teen are $70.38 and $90.16 respectively, while each day of alcohol use as a 16 year old is estimated to increase future earnings by an average of $233.69. The coefficients for the level of alcohol consumption and the level of cigarette consumption are both significantly different from zero at a 99% confidence level, while the coefficient for the number of days of marijuana use is only found to be significant at a 90% confidence level. Still, this regression is consistent with the previous results in this paper that suggested alcohol use as a teen was expected to increase future income, while both marijuana and cigarette use as a 16 year old was found to decrease earnings in young adults.
Wow! I'm really Impressed LOL hahahaaha! this shit is really some of the funniest shit I've seen in a long while.
who the hell are you? this is straight up propaganda aimed at the youth. its telling high school kids that for each day they get drunk they'll end up making that much more money as an adult and by smoking they will end up being poor. I think this is funny but stupid kids are gonna think its real because, it came from a study ooh ooh...

or do you just work for the alcohol industry?

Although this may be the case, i believe heavy marijuana users make less money because marijuana inhibits motivation and encourages anti-social behavior.

Humans are social animals and as a result, our most highly valued individuals are those that can communicate effectively.

what i find disturbing, and partly disgusting is your coming here championing this. this is typical prohibition rhetoric.

cannabis is the remover of illusions, so if an individual smokers choose to close themselves off from "society" as it is from your standpoint. maybe they see through the illusion that were supposed to live in close, confined area's with hundreds of people literally within a stones throw. the interaction between individuals in society nowadays has become so un human anyways to the point where society really doesn't serve humans social needs as much as it does the needs of corporations to have human resources to work for them so they can make profit off of said human resources. thats why most of the time when your in public with people. no one gives a fuck about you or whats going on. everyones doing there own thing, meeting some deadline of some sort or another that was un naturally placed upon them but they feel is necessary for society to continue. Maybe those "antisocial" smokers are more exclusively social they may not feel the need to be surrounded by un sincere people all the time and prefers to choose with who and when they socialize.

not everyone on earth could be like you.

and to the moral... what role does the amount one earns in a monetary sense play in determining the overall success of a human life?

peace,
Infi

whodare

Veteran
When they normalize the values to account for the loss of income due to criminal record, it's likely results would change...

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This study shows there is a higher chance of earning a lower income when ingesting marijuana. It also shows that people that ingest more marijuana are more likely to earn a lower wage.
It just means marijuana smokers are a certain percent more likely to earn a lower wage and heavier smokers tend to make even less.

Not to mention that the vast majority of employers align themselves with un-consitutional government mandates that prohibits companies to hire cannabis users, and is always coming up with more and more accurate and sophisticated technology to ensure that cannabis users have a hard time finding any job. .
dude don't you think this could be a large part of the cause and not just the mj smoke itself?

not to mention those that could get a better job and make more but would rather smoke cannabis have an easier job with less stress

zbenjii

Wow! I'm really Impressed LOL hahahaaha! this shit is really some of the funniest shit I've seen in a long while.
who the hell are you? this is straight up propaganda aimed at the youth. its telling high school kids that for each day they get drunk they'll end up making that much more money as an adult and by smoking they will end up being poor. I think this is funny but stupid kids are gonna think its real because, it came from a study ooh ooh...

or do you just work for the alcohol industry?

what i find disturbing, and partly disgusting is your coming here championing this. this is typical prohibition rhetoric.

cannabis is the remover of illusions, so if an individual smokers choose to close themselves off from "society" as it is from your standpoint. maybe they see through the illusion that were supposed to live in close, confined area's with hundreds of people literally within a stones throw. the interaction between individuals in society nowadays has become so un human anyways to the point where society really doesn't serve humans social needs as much as it does the needs of corporations to have human resources to work for them so they can make profit off of said human resources. thats why most of the time when your in public with people. no one gives a fuck about you or whats going on. everyones doing there own thing, meeting some deadline of some sort or another that was un naturally placed upon them but they feel is necessary for society to continue. Maybe those "antisocial" smokers are more exclusively social they may not feel the need to be surrounded by un sincere people all the time and prefers to choose with who and when they socialize.

not everyone on earth could be like you.

and to the moral... what role does the amount one earns in a monetary sense play in determining the overall success of a human life?

peace,
Infi

I make money off of marijuana. I have used marijuana more than once a day for a couple of years. I have friends that are all across the spectrum of marijuana use. I hate alcohol because i tend to feel sick after drinking.. like literally sick.

i have a bit of experience smoking pot.. but I'm disillusioned. Yeah bud is awesome and it feels great to be high. I've realized that there are costs to this feeling. Everyone should be aware that these costs exist and should take them into consideration.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I make money off of marijuana. I have used marijuana more than once a day for a couple of years. I have friends that are all across the spectrum of marijuana use. I hate alcohol because i tend to feel sick after drinking.. like literally sick.

i have a bit of experience smoking pot.. but I'm disillusioned. Yeah bud is awesome and it feels great to be high. I've realized that there are costs to this feeling. Everyone should be aware that these costs exist and should take them into consideration.

whats costs exactly? financially? because thats a social pressure not a side affect from the herb

abellguy

It sounds to me like you are finding out that smoking marijuana isn't for you. There is nothing at all wrong with that, not everybody needs the same thing, just like there are many people that don't drink or smoke. They are just as prone to job limitations due to our current economy as anybody is. Lazy before starting to smoke is only gonna amount into more laziness, not because of the herb but because of the person who is ingesting the herb.

That is one of the beautiful things about marijuana is that you can decide things like, this is not for me, or the opposite that it is good for you. With other drugs that marijuana is classified the same as, you would have lost your home, job, possessions all your friends and family before you might start to have thoughts that maybe this isn't for me :rasta:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Like it or not, we are part of an intricate system of buyers and sellers. There is one end goal: reproduction. Our legacy, the only thing we leave after we die, is our offspring.

In this global economy, the winners are those that reproduce. With inflation, increasing population, and limited employment, reproduction is limited by resources. People make contributions to the economy, and the economy values these contributions in terms of money.

This is a confused mishmash of economics, Social Darwinism, and Natural Selection.

Personally, my life goals do not include being a slave to my genes and doing whatever I can at whatever cost to others around me to leave the most offspring containing copies of my genes behind after I'm gone. One overriding prerogative in my life has been that my work should contribute to making this world a better place. I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping other people. It matters more to me than money. Our culture is going down the tubes because of the illusion that everything of value can be measured in money. A society doesn't have to be predatory to survive and flourish.

Read up on the Myers-Briggs personality types. You can go through the list of types and pick out who'd be likely to smoke pot and who wouldn't. I've seen some personality type descriptions that even mention in the profile whether a person is likely to favor cannabis legalization or not.

There's a lot of different kinds of people in this world. And it takes all of us to create and run a functioning society. Some people are best at getting in someone's face and negotiating a deal. Some can motivate and lead others. Some people are best at contemplating a problem and coming up with creative solutions. Some people have a gift of helping others to heal. It takes all of us to make it work. Through time there have been periods, when those having authoritarian tendencies and a fear of others who are different, have taken it upon themselves to eliminate the artistic boundary pushing types. It's happening now.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I saw gonna say something, but then Skip, Crusader Rabbit and bombadil said it for me.

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
seems like zbenjii is broke and depressed, and is trying to project that onto all smokers like it's the herbs fault and we all need to be aware of the dangers of the mexican loco weed

I'm just about done with these threads as there is absolutely nothing of any benefit to the community here just a bunch of nonsense

peace,
Infi

zbenjii

seems like zbenjii is broke and depressed, and is trying to project that onto all smokers like it's the herbs fault and we all need to be aware of the dangers of the mexican loco weed

I'm just about done with these threads as there is absolutely nothing of any benefit to the community here just a bunch of nonsense

peace,
Infi

the risks of marijuana should be laid out on the table. there is no benefit to the community in sweeping it under the rug

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
That study sucks.

Peee tests are the reason that wad of tp has skid marks on both sides.

Exclusive: Why Cant You Smoke Pot
Because Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off Of The War On Drugs

By Lee Fang posted Mar 7th 2012 at 11:00AM

John Lovell is a lobbyist who makes a lot of money from making sure you can’t smoke a joint. That’s his job. He’s a lobbyist for the police unions in Sacramento, and he is a driving force behind grabbing Federal dollars to shut down the California marijuana industry. I’ll get to the evidence on this important story in a bit, but first, some context.

At some point in the distant past, the war on drugs might have been popular. But not anymore — the polling is clear, but beyond that, the last three Presidents have used illegal drugs. So why do we still put hundreds of thousands of people in steel cages for pot-related offenses? Well, there are many reasons, but one of them is, of course, money in politics. Corruption. Whatever you want to call it, it’s why you can’t smoke a joint without committing a crime, though of course you can ingest any number of pills or drinks completely within the law.

Some of the groups who want to keep the drug illegal are police unions that want more members to pay more dues. One of the primary sources for cash for more policing activities are Federal grants for penalizing illegal drug use, which help pay for overtime, additional police officers, and equipment for the force. That’s what Lovell does, he gets those grants. He also fights against democratic mechanisms to legalize drugs.

In 2010, California considered Prop 19, a measure to legalize marijuana and tax it as alcohol. The proposition gained more votes than Meg Whitman, the former eBay executive and Republican gubernatorial nominee that year, but failed to pass. Opponents of the initiative ran ads, organized rallies, and spread conspiracy theories about billionaire George Soros to confuse voters.

Lovell managed the opposition campaign against Prop 19. He told Time Magazine that he was pushing against the initiative because, “the last thing we need is yet another mind-altering substance to be legalized.”

But Republic Report reviewed lobbying contracts during the Prop 19 fight, and found that Lovell’s firm was paid over $386,350 from a wide array of police unions, including the California Police Chiefs Association.

While Lovell may contend that he sincerely opposes the idea of marijuana legalization, he has constructed an entire business model predicated on pot prohibition.

Shortly after President Obama’s stimulus program passed, Lovell went to work channeling the taxpayer money for California into drug war programs. According to documents Republic Report obtained from the Police Chiefs Association, Lovell helped local departments apply for drug war money from the Federal government. Here’s a copy of one letter sent to a police department in Lassen County, California:
THERE ARE A NUMBER OF IMPORTANT OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE TO POLICE AGENCIES ARISING OUT OF THE RECENTLY ADOPTED AMERICAN RECOVERY AND REINVESTMENT ACT OF 2009. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS BULLETIN FROM THE US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE OFFICE OF JUSTICE PROGRAMS. JOHN LOVELL WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE FOLLOWUP INFORMATION. HIS PHONE NUMBER IS 916-447-3820
There is big money in marijuana prohibition. Lovell represented a police union in a bid to steer some $2.2 million dollars into a “Marijuana Suppression Program.” In 2009 and 2010, California police unions sought a $7,537,389 chunk of Federal money for police to conduct a “Campaign Against Marijuana Planting” program.

The anti-marijuana money went directly into the paychecks of many officers. For example, police departments in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Tehama Counties formed a “North California Eradication Team” to receive $550,000 in grants that helped pay for overtime, a new officer, and flight operations:
The total amount awarded was $550,000, to be split between Shasta, Siskiyou and Tehama counties, which make up the Northern California Marijuana Eradication Team (NorCal-MET). Broken down in the agenda worksheet, the sheriff’s office is expecting to spend $20,000 on flight operations, $94,895 for the full-time deputy’s salary and benefits, $16,788 for the administration assistant salary and benefits and $29,983 to cover up to 666.29 hours of overtime.​
The Federal anti-marijuana honeypot might have dried up if Prop 19 had passed. Legalizing marijuana would have generated billions in tax revenue for the state of California, while also reducing victimless crime prosecutions. But for lobbyists like Lovell, legalization was a direct assault on hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fees for helping to solicit taxpayer money for his clients.

Police unions also contributed about $100,500 to a campaign account used to coordinate opposition to Prop 19. Of the $386,350 in fees paid by police unions to Lovell through 2009 and 2010, status update reports reviewed by Republic Report reveal that Lovell worked on a number of issues, from advocacy against Prop 19 to channeling grants and monitoring legislation.

Of course, police unions aren’t the only interest group with a stake in maintaining broken drug laws. The beer industry, alcohol corporations, and prison guard unions also contributed money to help Lovell stop Prop 19. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now helps push for legalization as a citizen advocate, told Republic Report that drug company lobbyists also fight to keep marijuana illegal because they view pot as a low-cost form of competition.

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/...sts-are-getting-rich-off-of-the-war-on-drugs/
Of course, police unions aren’t the only interest group with a stake in maintaining broken drug laws. The beer industry, alcohol corporations, and prison guard unions also contributed money to help Lovell stop Prop 19. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now helps push for legalization as a citizen advocate, told Republic Report that drug company lobbyists also fight to keep marijuana illegal because they view pot as a low-cost form of competition.

They left out the drug testing industry. Florida's governor owned drug testing facilities and had to sell em off before mandating testing for assistance recipients.

Didn't he 'sell' his interests to his wife? :chin:

More weed stories than time to read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/marijuana/