What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG means ... ?

Malato

OG never made it out of so cal !
thats funny

if you dont like the effects than you are a sucker that didnt smoke the real thing??

you are :wtf:

not everyone likes the same weed.

I like herb that makes me feel stimulated and irie.

OG never does that for me

Yeah OG definetly is stoned, sleepy, eat a bunch of junk type high.

But OG stands for Overweight Grandma let's get this shit straight.

Booyah!

I've never seen a good sample outside SoCal. I'm sure it exists, but the likelyhood of getting a good batch outside of SoCal is extremely rare. Just like good country singers come from Nashville. The best OG still comes from SoCal. I'd rather have local weed in other states. At least it will be unique and locals will know the strain well enough to keep the quality in check.

There's a lot of crap OG here too, but the best of the best is pretty amazing, not sleepy at all. But definitely stoney at the same time. I can't stand sleepytime dumpy weed. This is not that.

I've seen OG offered in other states or even NorCal and it just doesn't have any amazing qualities to it. Like upper mids. Might even have a slight fuel smell, but OG should be dripping with Terpines to the point where you have to smell it multiple times to get your head around it. If it's not like that, I'd rather pass. Good enough just isn't good enough for me.

The best clones are still very hard to find even if you live here. And I really doubt the holders of those cuts are going out of their way to shoot copies Nationwide when they don't even share them locally. I can get basic OG cuts all day long, but the top Tier is still very hard to get.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but outside of SoCal the likely hood of lining up an outstanding batch is slim to none. I quit trying.

Malato

I've never seen a good sample outside SoCal. I'm sure it exists, but the likelyhood of getting a good batch outside of SoCal is extremely rare. Just like good country singers come from Nashville. The best OG still comes from SoCal. I'd rather have local weed in other states. At least it will be unique and locals will know the strain well enough to keep the quality in check.

There's a lot of crap OG here too, but the best of the best is pretty amazing, not sleepy at all. But definitely stoney at the same time. I can't stand sleepytime dumpy weed. This is not that.

I've seen OG offered in other states or even NorCal and it just doesn't have any amazing qualities to it. Like upper mids. Might even have a slight fuel smell, but OG should be dripping with Terpines to the point where you have to smell it multiple times to get your head around it. If it's not like that, I'd rather pass. Good enough just isn't good enough for me.

The best clones are still very hard to find even if you live here. And I really doubt the holders of those cuts are going out of their way to shoot copies Nationwide when they don't even share them locally. I can get basic OG cuts all day long, but the top Tier is still very hard to get.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but outside of SoCal the likely hood of lining up an outstanding batch is slim to none. I quit trying.

You think some of these good OGs offered by some of the breeders really doing it right are "upper mids"? Not tryna be confrontational at all, just actually curious lol

Or do you not consider those true OG?

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The best clones are still very hard to find even if you live here....I can get basic OG cuts all day long, but the top Tier is still very hard to get.

This is EXACTLY the truth right here. It's not that OG in various forms of it's likeness isn't on the market and being grown by everyone, because it is. It's like rescuing a nag trail pony from a glue factory death instead of going to Kentucky and getting a sired bloodline thoroughbred race horse - yet still having the same expectations of the animal.

It's an absurd notion.

Even among those I trust and don't question what cuts they are growing, I am skeptical about OG cuts. I know of 3 very good cuts - all accepted as the real deal SFV - that circulate in different circles. Each of the holders would swear their life on it being the real. Not one of those 3 are the same cut I personally accept and believe to be the REAL one. If I were to grow SFV, there is only ONE source for it that I would feel comfortable enough to say with certainty I have the legitimate clone.

It's hard to get a REAL cut of any of the old, legit cuts, if your point is, to verify without any doubt 100% authenticity.

TK, Ghost, SFV, BTY, F-Cut, Legend, Valley, "Josh D" - that's the core group, in my opinion.

I have no idea what the Faceoff OG story is or why thadocta chose it to work with, other than other "breeders" had not done so. I don't know what the HA OG story is either for that matter, but I do know the origins of the OG work that Karma did. I do know why he chose to work with HA over the other cuts. (unique calyxes) So, I'm not attempting to discredit their work in any regard, because Karma Biker Kush line would be my first stop if looking for a representation of what is regarded as classic OG in a commercially available seed line.

Fact is though, you really have to grow and smoke the cuts, to even have a clue what to look for in the seeds.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Damn, I hand out bty to anyone I know that wants it. I had may own reasons.

I have gotten the respect returned 10x over and never had to ask. Shit, one guy I hadn't seen in 10 years didn't think I gave him the real cut back when shit was 500 an ounce. He took us tuna fishing next time we met. Caught 3 bluefin right off Dana point. I don't know the came that far north.

Would have had a Dorado too some asshole touched my drag. I should've thrown him overboard. Had it been a trophy buck and he touched my rifle, I would've shot him instead..

Malato

Damn, I hand out bty to anyone I know that wants it. I had may own reasons.

I have gotten the respect returned 10x over and never had to ask. Shit, one guy I hadn't seen in 10 years didn't think I gave him the real cut back when shit was 500 an ounce. He took us tuna fishing next time we met. Caught 3 bluefin right off Dana point. I don't know the came that far north.

Would have had a Dorado too some asshole touched my drag. I should've thrown him overboard. Had it been a trophy buck and he touched my rifle, I would've shot him instead..

Respect on being generous with your cuts man, if not for people like you strains will die out with the folks who hoard them.

As far as the buck goes I agree, you gotta pull a Dick Chaney in that instance.

Booyah!

Totally agree Frank. Probably one of the best posts I've read regarding OG.

@ Malato, Frank pretty much laid it out for you.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
OG stands for ordinary grade....... Just a easy abbreviation to write on a plant label instead of mids.

Wendull C.

Veteran
No. They are different. From what I remember ha og was Larry og. I could be wrong on this. Never had the Larry cut, just flowers.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

JetLife175

Veteran
No. They are different. From what I remember ha og was Larry og. I could be wrong on this. Never had the Larry cut, just flowers.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

so from what I know Wick650 brought the Larry and the HA out to the scene. They are supposed to be different cuts that came out of the same room in Orange County. I always thought they were a little different.

Gaslit

Hello ... I 've only been involved with Cannabis for a short while and wonder just exactly what does OG mean? Thanks in anticipication!

Original Gangster. It's a term here in SoCal.

What it is big OG?

It was an "OG" plant hence OG...means the originalOG was old and had been around a while prolly been on a plane. Hope this helps

LostTribe

Premium user
so from what I know Wick650 brought the Larry and the HA out to the scene. They are supposed to be different cuts that came out of the same room in Orange County. I always thought they were a little different.

Agreed. Story was both the Larry and the HA came out of the same room in OC. Both different varietals.

LostTribe

Premium user
Original Gangster. It's a term here in SoCal.

What it is big OG?

It was an "OG" plant hence OG...means the originalOG was old and had been around a while prolly been on a plane. Hope this helps

I am pretty sure Josh D claimed they used to call it Kush. Then others were coming out with other kush varieties so they started calling it OG for Original. I don't have all day to watch Adam Dunn though....Its on youtube the 3 shows about the history of OG.

Sorta seems like not as many people on IC are growing OG's recently. Also wonder if Archive ever plans to re release any of their OG work. The Doc moved on with Dosi recently and haven't heard anything about the OG's.

Karm had a set back or two from what I hear and is trying to get back up. He did say that the Kamarado, Biker v2 and Josh D were still available for the time being.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Josh D is in the video i linked, saying it stands for Original.... Then people turned it into OG and Oger.....

Brother Nature

Jetlife's explanation on the origins seems the most legit really. I certainly wans't there, but I'd also say it doens't really matter the origins now as seems to have just become a label in the same way everything good was just called skunk after skunk came out. Where I live the most commonly used term for good weed is White Rhino (don't know why, I've never loved that strain) though people are starting to call their good stuff kush as well. On the black market most people don't have a clue where their stuff is coming from, so they call it whatever will sell. Hopefully with legalization taking hold a lot of the rumors will stop and we'll get actual information on the origins of strains.

As a weed nerd I love hearing these stories though, looking forward to the thread on OG's origins and all the arguments there after. Makes for an interesting and entertaining read.

W

Water-

that Josh D kid is talking out of his ass.

he says knowbody had anything called Kush before his OG. so thats why they put the name original on it.
so people knew the difference!?

that is dumb

herb from the Hindu Kush had been around since the 60's and the term Kush was also.