What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized turned male??

Packer420

I have veg for over a month topped and lst'ed only to see them have yellow new growth and now what seems to be balls when I flipped them to flower.

Any reason why these things happen?

:tiphat:

seeded

I'm no Chimera or any other reputable breeder but from what I've seen male and female flowers are basically two sides of the same coin. Well it's not really a coin but more of a double cone shape where hermies are the norm and the extreme points at either end are the male and female flowers as we know them. So when we breed our least hermie plants we're basically breeding an extreme trait in the plants that goes against it's nature and more than that it's true nature will never truly go away. There will always be some stressful experience whether natural like being rootbound or some kind of manmade stress like being sprayed with STS that will make a plant reverse what we believe is their gender.

Now some will disagree with me and all the world to them but I believe that if a plant can reverse it's gender that the blueprint for both genders must be in the DNA of every plant. That being the case every plant is a hermie but has had the trait for sexual separation bred into it. I believe it's impossible to breed to it entirely though as it's a survival trait to reverse gender. Pot too small, light cycle fucked with, chemical spraying, etc. it doesn't matter. Once the plant believes it's been fucked with life finds a way.

Now all that said is it possible a feminized seed believes it's been fucked with and is merely trying to find a method of survival? I'd wager yes.

Packer420

The balls came in first, no pistils yet. This would be a hermie right not a male? I have plucked the balls last night and hope I can still save the plant as a female.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no Chimera or any other reputable breeder but from what I've seen male and female flowers are basically two sides of the same coin. Well it's not really a coin but more of a double cone shape where hermies are the norm and the extreme points at either end are the male and female flowers as we know them. So when we breed our least hermie plants we're basically breeding an extreme trait in the plants that goes against it's nature and more than that it's true nature will never truly go away. There will always be some stressful experience whether natural like being rootbound or some kind of manmade stress like being sprayed with STS that will make a plant reverse what we believe is their gender.

Now some will disagree with me and all the world to them but I believe that if a plant can reverse it's gender that the blueprint for both genders must be in the DNA of every plant. That being the case every plant is a hermie but has had the trait for sexual separation bred into it. I believe it's impossible to breed to it entirely though as it's a survival trait to reverse gender. Pot too small, light cycle fucked with, chemical spraying, etc. it doesn't matter. Once the plant believes it's been fucked with life finds a way.

Now all that said is it possible a feminized seed believes it's been fucked with and is merely trying to find a method of survival? I'd wager yes.

You might consider heading over to Chimeras forum and seeing if you can find some info concerning plant gender expression.
Nothing you've written above is correct and this has been studied for decades.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The balls came in first, no pistils yet. This would be a hermie right not a male? I have plucked the balls last night and hope I can still save the plant as a female.

A true hermaphrodite fully expresses both sexes.
Balls & Bracts (clayxes).

A plant that only shows nanners is "intersex".

Both are genetically female!

The reason WHY females show intersex and hermaphrodite traits is because they are stressed some how. Stress causes the plants to produce ethylene which in turn creates male parts that can potentially pollinate your crop.

Sometime plucking the balls is all that is required to mitigate the intersex/herm from pollinating your crop. If the balls come back, you might just be S.O.O.L.

There is a bit of info in Chimeras forum if you care to search for it.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
It's not impossible that it's a male, it's been known to happen. Even with reputable breeders, as it's not an exact science. Females Seeds, for example, who make fem seeds exclusively had a label on their seed packs that said something like "These seeds will produce 99,9% females". I grew a lot of fems in my indoor days years ago, and I got one male during my 4-5 years of fem seed growing/testing. It's rare, but it does happen. You also mention LST and topping, which in theory could stress the plant. I'm not an expert on how fems react to stress, and you didn't mention what strain u'r rocking, so that doesn't help either.. But if it starts out with balls, that's not good. I'd say keep it for a while, if it keeps pumping out nanners, toss it. If it starts throwing out female hairs, maybe it's ok.. I'd still keep an eye out for trouble for the rest of the flowering period. Most likely I'd just toss it and start a new.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
The reason WHY females show intersex and hermaphrodite traits is because they are stressed some how. Stress causes the plants to produce ethylene which in turn creates male parts that can potentially pollinate your crop.

Isn't STS blocking the ethylene and this way creating male parts?

packerfan79

Veteran
I would say its probably the .01 percent that will inevitably be male. I don't think you can completely 100% breed out males. Nature has a strange way of making the impossible, possible.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Too much jurrasic park, not enough darwin .
A male chromosome has too many differences to leap forth from a mutating female chromosome, fully intact. It can be the case that a fucked up female can look male, but don't buy into the gender dysmorphia crowds p.r. a female is still a female, even when she acquires some balls. Just don't breed them.

Packer420

I eventually chopped it after letting it go for a few days.it was still producing many balls after i initially plucked so i let go. I was thinking light leak more than stress or genetics. Now i have placed another one on its place on the flower tent so lets see whats gonna happen.

I will fix the minor light leak coming through the duct from the veg tent as well.

I will also feed more if this is another factor. This will be my last vegged plant hopefully turns to be a female as i bought fems from nirvana.

Latest posts

Latest posts