What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best soil for Northern California outdoor grow

Jwow530

Any one try any roots organic soil and which one good for outdoor grow that won't dry too fast in Norther California up here too hot summer time let me know I been using happy frog for a while but want to try something like roots organic 707 or green field thanks

Oedipus

high noon

high noon

I'ev been looking at bulk deals with high noon soils out of colusa , the estimated cost of 4 yard delivery was 500 , they were taxing 20 dollars a yard for delivery purposes.

Jwow530

When we were doing 80 plants here we were buying soil pre mix for 215 plants from landscaping company it's ok but u still needs to add stuff to the soil I think it was like 40$ a yard

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
roots organic have bags with holes and are ready to plant, just pop your plant in. We have been using 420 blend or now called SO Co. Blend from Grab n Grow from Santa Rosa for a few years now. Last year we switched it up and got soil in Cloverdale at Soil King. Big Rootz soil, its great stuff. 140 a yard, they hooked it up with a free yard also last time

roots organic have bags with holes and are ready to plant, just pop your plant in. We have been using 420 blend or now called SO Co. Blend from Grab n Grow from Santa Rosa for a few years now. Last year we switched it up and got soil in Cloverdale at Soil King. Big Rootz soil, its great stuff. 140 a yard, they hooked it up with a free yard also last time

I got some solid bulk soil for $25/yd in Willits to fill my 300ga pots and my large planters- have been thinking about putting in a cpl cubic ft of Big Rootz per hole. Glad to hear it's good!

One big growers starts his soil with Kellogg's Patio Plus (he says he gets semi-loads which I believe) and builds his own Subcool. My sister, the master gardener (she is the only soul in Nevada County who can do proper soil testing) also recommended PP to me, and I'm very willing to take her word for it. PP alone is good enough to start in, even with clones (first-timer here, a lot of what I say is what she's told me) I have the usual amendments you'd find in a Subcool mix, but the hot soil is layered near the bottom of the plant so I don't burn my beloved Afghani on soil that's too hot, too soon.

One big grower I've spoken with starts his soil with Kellogg's Patio Plus (he says he gets semi-loads which I believe) and builds his own Subcool. My sister, the master gardener (she is the only soul in Nevada County who can do proper soil testing) also recommended PP to me, and I'm very willing to take her word for it. PP alone is good enough to start in, even with clones (first-timer here, a lot of what I say is what she's told me)for the first four to five weeks. I have the usual amendments you'd find in a Subcool mix, but the hot soil is layered near the bottom of the pot so I don't burn my beloved Afghani on soil that's too hot, too soon. If I need more amendments, I can create a topcoat.
Since I can't edit my posts (why is that?) I need to make a couple of corrections: I'll bold the changed text in the quote...