What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using nitrogen for drying

pusbag

I use nitrogen for every run I do. I use it to test for leaks before running for the day. I use it to flood the tubes I run to remove any moisture as well. Then I use it at the end of the day to remove moisture from the entire system from molecular sieve to the recovery pump. Easy and cheap addition, all extractors should use it to there advantage.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use nitrogen for every run I do. I use it to test for leaks before running for the day. I use it to flood the tubes I run to remove any moisture as well. Then I use it at the end of the day to remove moisture from the entire system from molecular sieve to the recovery pump. Easy and cheap addition, all extractors should use it to there advantage.

We use it for the initial pressure test as well, and at the end of cycles as back fill, to render the atmosphere inert when opened.

After a 150F bake out under up to -29.5" Hg, and then backfilled with N2, followed by a second vacuum to -29.5" Hg and another back fill, the material removed from the column was no more prone to flash or burn under direct flame impingement, than starting material that had not yet seen the LPG.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does it absorb is or push it?

Both. It is pushes out humid atmospheres during purging, at the same time it absorbs moisture, because it is very dry and being warmed up by contact with the wet atmosphere, so it is no longer saturated at its temperature.

At some point it is no longer pushing, but scavenging water molecules stuck here and there, before exiting and taking them with it.

Gtir

Both. It is pushes out humid atmospheres during purging, at the same time it absorbs moisture, because it is very dry and being warmed up by contact with the wet atmosphere, so it is no longer saturated at its temperature.

At some point it is no longer pushing, but scavenging water molecules stuck here and there, before exiting and taking them with it.

Do you think this removes all of the moisture?

corky1968

Veteran
I think the main benefit of storing a product using nitrogen gas is that you reduce the amount of oxidation.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you think the longer it sits w the nitrogen the more moisture is absorbed and removes?

If you change the nitrogen when it saturates, it will continue to absorb moisture. Not much different than just plain atmosphere, which is 78% nitrogen, with about 21% oxygen.

Latest posts

Latest posts