What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pre heat oven or nah?

Gtir

So I have been having a terrible time getting waxy/crumble nucleation points whenever I purge my concentrate. Today I heated the oven up slowly after putting the concentrate in and had a much better result.l than preheating. I started at 80 and every few hours notched it up 10 degrees until 115. Does anyone one else turn the heat up slowly?

I use solvent chilled to -40, fresh dried material, a molecular seive and pull a full vaccum before scraping solid chunks from my closed loop and still keep ending up w this after purging and it's driving me mad!

snJp0yZ.jpg

BigJohnny

Everybody says scraping.... but I scrape my oil out of the pot, and I haven't seen any correlation between scraping and wax. I've produced tons of oil that's been scrapped out of the pot and stays crystal clear.

blastfrompast

Veteran
hard scrape, add heat and pull a hard vac to quick seems to cause waxing for me....

scrape...add heat wait a bit and then pull a vac seems to be ok (will eventually autobudder if left in a 75-80 room)...

it is like the scraping almost "seeds" it... but if you let the oil puddle up nice before pulling that first vac it seems to turn out fine......

But im just an amateur

pusbag

Cold purge

Cold purge

Maybe you should try the cotton candy cold purge technique. Works well at creating a low ppm tasty extract.

jswick93

I scrape what wont come out of the pot on its own and have gotten autobuddering at times, but not always. If i scrape it quickly and into globs I dont generally see issues, it thins itself out nice and stays clear unless i leave it under vacuum for too long. Scraping to the point where it gets very foamy and thicker seems to be where the buddering starts.

killa12345

i purge from -10 to -20 inhg in my collection tank before i scrape and have never once produced anything that autobudders or waxes up..

Just straight clear shatter every single time....I scrape every thing out. I dont pour a thing. I use a large stainless spacula and get most out quick then a razor for all the remaining.

I preheat for at least an hour to spread the slab evenly and get the temps threw out the slab consistant.

Ive never seen any oil that looks like the picture from the OP. I wonder if that is some kinda pesticide or chemicals extracting out. How many filters are you using. What mesh screen are you using as a fail safe?

Gtir

i purge from -10 to -20 inhg in my collection tank before i scrape and have never once produced anything that autobudders or waxes up..

Just straight clear shatter every single time....I scrape every thing out. I dont pour a thing. I use a large stainless spacula and get most out quick then a razor for all the remaining.

I preheat for at least an hour to spread the slab evenly and get the temps threw out the slab consistant.

Ive never seen any oil that looks like the picture from the OP. I wonder if that is some kinda pesticide or chemicals extracting out. How many filters are you using. What mesh screen are you using as a fail safe?

It's nothing to do w pesticide because this happens to me w many diff batches of trim. Before his I was just packing coffee filters in the bottom of my unit but now I ordered a filter stack. I think the concentrate wasn't even going through the coffee filters but around the edges.

killa12345

It's nothing to do w pesticide because this happens to me w many diff batches of trim. Before his I was just packing coffee filters in the bottom of my unit but now I ordered a filter stack. I think the concentrate wasn't even going through the coffee filters but around the edges.

What size mesh are you using for your gasket screen? Maybe it wasnt going threw your coffee filters because the gasket screen is too fine of mesh.

i see a lot of these extractors coming with a finer mesh then what grey wolf used in his lil terp design. I see he used a 20 mesh screen in his lil terp design which is a wider screen then i see in all these extractor kits usually 150 mesh. Ive bought both and my 20 mesh drain much faster and with the 150 mesh my extraction took 3x the time.

Personally i use 3 coffee filters on top of the 20 mesh screen gasket and i know for a fact that the solvent is going threw my filters cause its pretty obvious when looking at them. This drains extremely fast as well. Im only using 2.6-2.8 lbs of butane but i can dump my tank in less than five minutes passively.

I really dont know how to help other than maybe consider a different sized gasket screen.

BigJohnny

Everybody says scraping.... but I scrape my oil out of the pot, and I haven't seen any correlation between scraping and wax. I've produced tons of oil that's been scrapped out of the pot and stays crystal clear.

I should clarify this a little (pun intended) since I was in a hurry when I posted it.

I've been processing a significant quantity of moldy buds, and filtering it through a 5 micron screen on either end of my column.
I routinely scrape and abuse this shit, at one point I had a minor leak that sucked a ton of water into my pot and I had to scrape the oil off the top of a 1/2" puddle of water.

This stuff is clear and completely stable, it'll sit around for weeks and show now signs of auto buttering, and I haven't had any issues with it while purging either.

It basically turns out perfect every time.

I just processed some fine Mango Kush, and took every precaution making sure everything as clean, used brand new PTFE sheets, purged it nice and low, but still scraped it out of the pot.

I had one slab out of 5 start to wax up bad enough to justify winterizing it.

The rest were crystal clear, and they sat in the oven for a bit just for storage, no heat or anything, because it's dust free in there...

I had one other slab start to auto butter that will need to be winterized. The rest got wrapped up in parchment, vacuum sealed in food saver bags and stored in the freezer.

I'm left wondering what will happen to them now.

Long story short, waxing up is some bullshit and seems to happen randomly, or based on something that's in particular strains maybe?

gumby420

I have an Edwards 30 and an across int 3.2

ive always been scared of going with those huge pumps like the 30. i think that one is like .75 micron or maybe a little less. that just seems like too deep of a vacuum to me. total speculation though. i have a 15 micron pump for my 1.9 oven and a 3.75 micron pump for my 3.2. once i dialed in my temps i get stable shatter 98% of the time with no autobuddering

corky1968

Veteran
I really don't think you need to preheat an oven when dealing with very volatile compounds like solvents.

It will take very little time to be a the right heat anyways.

Gtir

I think my problem was filtering, I packed too many coffee filters in and the solvent was squeezing around the filters and not going through them, I finally noticed that it was only yellow around the edges of the filter. Since I have gotten proper filter stacks the problem has vanished. Only took me 3 months of pain to figure this out. ��������

Latest posts

Latest posts