What's new

Tips on extraction ratios

sleepylion

Some experience but averaging 7-8% from quality bud, currently using 600ml per oz.
I blow for about 15 sec on 5 off until done
What are your tips and techniques and resulting yields?

Thanks

w3rds

Only suggestions, blow one entire 300ml can in your tube, holding the can against the tube until the last drop of tane/oil drips out. After you scrape oil and put it in the vacuum, empty extraction tube on a clean table, spread it to dry and then repack the tube. Spray your second can just like you did the first and then water bath, scrape, and add to other half in vacuum

FishmanK

Sleepylion, I got called in another thread for saying things without having done extraction...
so Im starting with "I havent" :)

But its my impression that with closed loop systems a standard return is about 20%
if this is so, and adding the cost of solvent, if you do this enough to keep track and know it well, it might be time to think about getting a closed loop for better returns and control and safety and less cost actually in the long run...

pusbag

More solvent more oil

More solvent more oil

The material isn't being washed with enough solvent to get all of the yeilds that are present in the material. Just yielded 22% on trim 2 days ago, have yielded over 25% with good quality bud.

gumby420

after you run your can through wait until the stream is slowing up and stick your finger around it, if all the oil has been extracted it will just be butane and wont be sticky and will be completely clear, if its still sticky then theres probably more resin to extract.
600 ml an oz seems like quite a bit, i only run about 200-300ml an oz and i get a huge variation. its all material dependent. but anywhere from 8%-25%

T

TreehouseJ

Sleepylion, I got called in another thread for saying things without having done extraction...

But its my impression that with closed loop systems a standard return is about 20%
if this is so, and adding the cost of solvent, if you do this enough to keep track and know it well, it might be time to think about getting a closed loop for better returns and control and safety and less cost actually in the long run...

I get 5.5-7 per ounce open blasting into a "frozen" glass extractor on nug runs, 4-5g per ounce with good trim/popcorn, 3-4 with bad trim/popcorn, 2-3 with commercial grade bs, like clockwork. This isn't including the extra little bit I get from a second blast. I don't think a cls is going to double your returns, but it would make the entire process a lot safer. Not enough solvent, or your starting material es no bueno. At 600 ml per ounce though, we can eliminate the possibility that you arent using enough solvent. Source better material, keep everything in the freezer before you blast.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some experience but averaging 7-8% from quality bud, currently using 600ml per oz.
I blow for about 15 sec on 5 off until done
What are your tips and techniques and resulting yields?

Thanks

Using butane or ethanol, we typically yield between 20 and 25% on prime bud, about half that on good trim.

Both of our high CBD strains are closer to 18%.

Our lowest to date was 5.7% on a high CBD strain bud and trim mix.

28.1% was the best and was on manicured buds supplied by the patient.

sleepylion

tane amounts?

tane amounts?

Thanks guys, after several runs I've increased my yield drastically but now am seeing my shatter autobutter for the first time
Why could this be happening?
How much tane do you use?

Thanks again

TNEx

I'd say 20% as a "standard return " is a bit high unless youre running some pretty stellar material . You'd be hard pressed to achieve that with even super nice sugar trim . IMO it would have to be frosty nugs to take you to and over 20%....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys, after several runs I've increased my yield drastically but now am seeing my shatter autobutter for the first time
Why could this be happening?
How much tane do you use?

Thanks again

You may be picking up more plant waxes.

About three column volumes.