What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

solvents to use for cannabis oil?

Jfs

I am interested in knowing which are the best solvents to use when making rso oil. I have Myeloma and would prefer not have an oil as clean as possible. I was thinking of some kind of alcohol, but am open to other ideas. I need something that can be made safely in home.

Thanks

Phagoos

I would try rosin tech and optionally use some alcohol or vegetable oil to thin it afterward.
Then it will be completely solvent-less.

Jfs

Thanks for the link. I am new to extraction and have nopt heard of this method. Do you have any other links?

I was planning on making Rick Simpson Oil extracted with alcohol or some other solvent. How would Rosin compare? I have cancer so am looking for the best product as far as medicine.

Thanks

Phagoos

This is the main thread that got me interested: New extraction technique? Rosin tech?
I have no experience with Rosin or oil myself. I mainly got interested because a relative of mine is using a diluted oil for pain relief.
The possibility of creating a solventless extract to create a diluted oil is very appealing in my opinion

I'll have to leave it to other people to tell you what the best method is. With cancer it is an entire different ball game I'm afraid.

jswick93

Rick simpson recommended using naptha, because it makes a more potent extract, but there is debate over using a harsher solvent to extract medicine. Potent extracts can also be made with butane, and can contain no residual solvent. Using 190 proof grain alcohol is the simplest method I think and will give you a safe medicine.

Miraculous Meds

I am interested in knowing which are the best solvents to use when making rso oil. I have Myeloma and would prefer not have an oil as clean as possible. I was thinking of some kind of alcohol, but am open to other ideas. I need something that can be made safely in home.

Thanks

Id love to hear others responses too. Ive been researching this a bit n heres my take. after watching the simpson vids on making rso, he uses naptha, which I know nothing about except some have said its not a great choice. idk.. then there is 99% iso, butane, etc... Ive seen rick say on a vid that it doesn't really matter which u use, just make sure its free of solvent when finished. after that its most important to heat to the correct temp till its completely decarbed and active. I believe rick says in his vid not to ever go over 370f, till the oil doesn't bubble anymore. now just making concentrate for recreation, u wouldn't go this far cause I think u r cooking off terps n some cannabinoids. but I guess for the medicinal value he does it this way. he also adds in a distillation process that makes it more effective too. but unless ur gonna build a little still, idk about that part of the process. why not I guess, if ur serious about the best meds for urself.

jswick93

I wouldn't use olive oil as your solvent for extraction if trying to cure a disease. Not to say it wouldn't be effective, but you can achieve higher concentrations with other solvents, which are clean as well. Your easiest way to a clean extract at home is going to be with 190 proof grain alcohol if you can get it. Freeze the alcohol and jar of material to 0° F before extracting. Start with dry material and keep the material soaking in the freezer during the process to avoid picking up additional water solubles.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks

I advise against using Naphtha, because the name only specifies boiling point range and may contain benzene, a known carcinogen.

We've had good success with BHO and QWET since about 2007 and have treated a number of people suffering gastric distress from concentrated chlorophyll in Isopropyl RSO.

Extracted and purged by Rick's Naphtha rice cooker method, also leaves behind Naphtha in the concentrate, which he says ties up the liver and leaves the cannabinoids in the system longer. That may be true, but we use coconut oil for that purpose in our Holy Anointing Oil or HS Oil we supply to cancer patients, and consider it more salubrious.

Last edited:

pusbag

Oil is not medicine unless it's decarbed

Oil is not medicine unless it's decarbed

Rosin tech ,bho, any oil needs to be decarboxylated to be made psychoactive and turned into medicine. I'm with grey wolf holy shit oil is best.

Jfs

Thanks everyone for the replies. The pdf on extraction was interesting (probably need to read it a few times). I didn't understand if the oil extracts all the cannabinoids as well as the thc as the solvents would, and whether it would work as well as a more concentrated oil for cancer. Does anyone know of any people who have tried it.

Also a lot will be lost from decarb, but isn't it needed to activate the cannabinoids?

If I use the alcohol and can't find the more higher % like everclear, can I concentrate something else like vodka? What would recommended?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks everyone for the replies. The pdf on extraction was interesting (probably need to read it a few times). I didn't understand if the oil extracts all the cannabinoids as well as the thc as the solvents would, and whether it would work as well as a more concentrated oil for cancer. Does anyone know of any people who have tried it.

Also a lot will be lost from decarb, but isn't it needed to activate the cannabinoids?

If I use the alcohol and can't find the more higher % like everclear, can I concentrate something else like vodka? What would recommended?

The oil makes the heads containing the cannabinoids and terpenes, disappear, as do the other solvents. The primary difference is the ability to reduce some of the other solvents, so as to further concentrate the mixture.

The oil extraction will ostensibly do the same thing, but it will take larger doses, because of its lower concentration.

You can always reflux distill lower octane alcohol to concentrate it to 190 proof. Depending on your location, you may be able to have 190 proof shipped to you.

Jfs

Can someone direct me to some recipes for making the oil. I heard of using a freezer and Gray Wolfe's oil.

Thanks

Jfs

I would probably go with alcohol. I don't know much about BHO and heard bad experiences from people who don't know what they are doing.

Jfs

Sorry I forgot to ask how strong of a percentage of alcohol is needed for extraction?

Thanks

jswick93

190 proof grain alcohol will work best. It may not be available depending on the state you live in though. You may search online for 190 proof, and there are ways of turning other alcohol into 190 proof, if you want to go through the effort.

Latest posts

Latest posts