What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Apollo 11 f3 and discussion

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
I'm starting off this thread to share with the community my long-time breeding efforts with Apollo 11 as well as to open up discussion about this great strain and provide an a place for all A11 lovers like myself :)

BACKGROUND:
I started with 3 packs of original Brother's Grimm Apollo 11. Since then I have been selecting the plants I like. The original cross was made with all plants (30) within the population. Second fillial generation selection was performed on 75 plants over the course of several years. Basically I don't have room to grow the number of plants I want to so I grow multiple "sets" of the same generation of plants and clone/keep pollen of the desirable parents. This has been a long-term project for me and at times has gone for more than a year with no action (growth). My main goal is to stabilize (or fix) the traits I desire while eliminating the multiple traits that are undesirable to me.

My selection criteria are:
strong lemon smell/taste
"thinking" high

As an academic I immediately fell in love with the high of Apollo 11. It has helped open my mind on numerous occasions and is invaluable in helping unlock problems. These pictures are from the third generation and I would say I'm about 75% to my goal. There are still a lot of Cinderella genes within my population which show themselves as higher yielders, less branchy and less smell/taste. Currently in the f3 generation all plants are showing the 'Genius' branchiness but there is variation in the smell/taste as well as the high. Here I present some plants which have fulfilled my selection criteria and will be used in the next generation of breeding.

These pics are at 42 days flowering. The yield on my selections absolutely suck, weak stems and small popcorn buds, but the smell, taste and high more than make up for it. This is not a commercial strain and I have no need for such things.

picture.php

These start frosting up at week 4 and will be done by week 8.
picture.php

picture.php

I hope you enjoy these pics, and please ask any questions or share your own experience with Apollo!

Looking good! I love me some Apollo 11. I picked up a cut last year that is also lemon smelling, low yielding and has a nice head high. I can't to see what your finishes like!

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
kerlito: best of luck with your Apollo's! What generation/breeder are you growing with?

smokesalot420: Please feel free to post your pics. The apollo 11 doesn't really yield well but, well the high is more than enough to make up for that.

ICETOKER
: Thanks!

Here are some more pics at week 7 (49 days 12/12) of one of the mothers I am keeping for the F4. Like I said in my original post, I do several grows of the same generation to select the parents for the next gen. I have 25 more seedlings going and that will be the final selection grow for the F4 generation.

BTW I couldn't help but hit up some of these ladies with some SWT#4 pollen that I also have going. Keep an eye for these as freebies on the 'bay.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I am working on my camera skills :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MyGreenToe

Glad to see someone mucking about with one of my all time favorite smokes! Kudos to you for taking your time and going through as many as you can at each generation. Have you turned up any strange and wonderful keepers in your searches so far?

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Totally inspiring! :)

I really love your breeding goals.

I hope Highlighter chimes in as he's a big A11 fan. I am yet to smoke this strain.

Looks good, great resin production. But im not getting that apollo vibe from it. I see cindy in there. I have been messing around with apollo for over 5 years now, and the best phenos of apollo are super branchy, with that crazy zigzaging going on basically the genius pheno.
And the genus pheno puts out tons of super tight, fat stinky buds, that reek of lemony citrus.

Well reading back you said you have some genius phenos going so lets seem those pics. Because those pics are not really reminding me of genius at all.

Here is a pic of what im talkin about:

18091105.JPG

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
Dropdeadagain: well brother the one's I showed are branchy as can be too, I just didn't show the whole plant. I'm not starting a pissing war here, but can you tell me what about my pics says Cindy?

Quite frankly I'm breeding for my own sake, I could care less whether you think it is "genius" or not but quite frankly that picture of yours looks quite Cindy to me. I've grown both and Cindy has a very obvious structure and most importantly a smoke and high. I have been selecting these plants for taste and high, like I said. Thanks for stopping by.

ibjamming

Veteran
My only Apollo11 Girl didn't look anything like yours... And I was very disappointed with the...IMO...weak smoke. It looked gorgeous...but it had nothing to back it up.

What DO you guys mean by "clear" anyway? My opinion was "clearly not high".

The thing is...I was so impressed by how good the A11 looked that I made seeds with one of the better looking A11 males crossed with everything I was growing. I sure hope I didn't make a mistake. My next grow will have some A11xLSD and A11x(C99xHaze). I've got my fingers crossed...

Good luck with your breeding project. Yours looks WAY different than what I grew. It looks very nice. My LSD was VERY lemony. Smelled like a "sour lemon ball candy", and tasted like lemon laundry detergent. It's actually better than is sounds. I had 2 phenos of the CindyHaze...one indica looking and one more cindy looking...like your picture. Maybe that crossed with the A11 will give me something good.

Maybe I need to look into some more seeds...everyone loves it...but IS it too weak for me? Or, did I just get a bad one?

Good luck...

Joey Weed, Apollo11 at 90 days. 400W vert. A long 2 week flush.

picture.php

Here is the CindyHaze I bred with Apollo11...

picture.php

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
CherChezLaGhost: Thanks for stopping by brother!

ibjamming: Sorry you had a bad experience with the apollo. I can completely see how that would happen, especially with an F2. Did you grow out the original or an F2? The originals seemed pretty uniformly good as far as I saw but there were a few phenotypes. The F2's I grew were all over the place and that's where I can see some not so impressive phenotypes coming out.

Like I was trying to get through in my post to dropdeadagain, after the first generation there is a lot of selection to be done. As with any other strain, the breeder (and in part chance) plays a critical role in what the progeny will become. This F3 generation shows what I have selected for, specifically the pictures I have posted. Other's may have selected for something completely different or we could be dealing with different generations all together.

In short, the "clear" high should absolutely not mean clearly not high. As a matter of fact aside from sweet tooth this is my hands down favorite smoke. The clearness is more representative of the fact that you can still function but everything is perceived differently. When smoking my best apollo's I can work absolutely perfectly, hell I've even done work with no probelm, yet reality is perceived differently and problems looked at differently.

Hope that stoned response helps a bit.

Thanks all for stopping by!

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
peacenotgreed:Thanks for stopping by! I never had the pleasure of growing the G4, so I can't comment on that. I would love to hear more about your experience growing it for five years though. I've made my own selections over the years and no doubt they are different than those made for the G4 but it's always great to hear about the apollo and the different pheno's. Any info or pics would help me greatly. Thanks!

b8man

Veteran
I've got some Apollo 11 f2s from Spice Brothers down for my next selection grow. Going to be hunting for that elusive genius pheno, but i'm a huge c99 fan so will be fine with pretty much whatever comes out. Just wanna dodge that paranoia trait.

Glad other people are fans of that functional stone - a lot of stoners just don't get how useful a good daytime strain is. Waking and baking with a coffee and thc jump-start to the brain is the best way to wake up.

So to the A11 growers, what are the preferred colours of the trichs when everyone cuts? And how many days u guys flower em for?

Suomi-Prkl

Veteran
your pics look a lot like the apollo11 we got circulating in my country. it's very branchy, stretches like crazy, yields a bit below average and gives the most exotic lemony tasting buds. it takes 9 weeks to flower.

my experience with these both strains are limited but i've grown both and crosses. yours (and the a11 i had) sure doesnt grow, taste or smoke like the cindys i've experienced.

the a11 i had was too much of a hassle to grow cause of the stretch and weak limbs so i crossed her to sweet tooth #3 male and let her go. she's around a lot and can always be found.

anyways, sounds like you've found your thing, pics looks very delicious, thanks for sharing!

Dropdeadagain: well brother the one's I showed are branchy as can be too, I just didn't show the whole plant. I'm not starting a pissing war here, but can you tell me what about my pics says Cindy?

Quite frankly I'm breeding for my own sake, I could care less whether you think it is "genius" or not but quite frankly that picture of yours looks quite Cindy to me. I've grown both and Cindy has a very obvious structure and most importantly a smoke and high. I have been selecting these plants for taste and high, like I said. Thanks for stopping by.

Dont worry, I will stay out of your thread considering you can handle a simple question. Way to go, where in post did I come off like a jerk. Were is this "pissing" contest coming from. Because I said I dont see genius at all? Guess what i dont!
Someone cant take a little constructive criticism huh?
And why your at it look up some pics of genius dummy and you will see my cut is dead on. So go blow smoke up someone else ass that doesnt know any better.
In the long run c99, and apollo 11 is just reworked jack herer period. Thanks for being so humble.

Darwin

Cannanaut
ICMag Donor
Dropdeadagain: Thanks for stopping by. I don't think I have to elaborate any further why I said I didn't want to start a pissing match ;) There is absolutely no need for calling names or anything else. You stated your opinion, I said I disagreed and didn't feel the need to argue about it. I'm not sure why you are getting so upset about it. I have not disrespected you and all I ask is the same.

I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's ass. I clearly stated what I was breeding for and the only time I even mentioned genius was when I said genius branchiness. In my experience with Apollo and C99 the C99 phenotypes typically have less branching. That was all I was saying. If I wanted to get something that was just like genius I would have taken other routes. I'm not trying to get a clone of genius, I'm trying to stabilize the traits I like.

I've never grown or smoked the Genius cut and in no way am saying this is Genius. This is Apollo 11 F3 selected for the characteristics I listed in my first post. I think I've been pretty obvious about that.

dropdeadagain said:
In the long run c99, and apollo 11 is just reworked jack herer period.
Yes it is true the story goes that the plants came from seed found in a bag of jack herer. But have you ever grown and smoked jack herer? They are very different plants. That's a circular argument because under this argument everything is a reworked version of everything else.

b8man: Good luck in your search. Are the spice brothers still around? I remember Fet from back in the CW and Overgrow days but I haven't heard of them since. Even the C99 pheno's of the apollo I've smoked had a more happy high instead of that edgy high you tend to get from pure Cindy.

Suomi-Prkl: Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear more about the SWT cross because I have some developing as we speak.