What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has your light mover ever fell off the ceiling?

!PeAcE!

did you ever have a problem with motorized light movers? Have they ever fallen off the track onto the floor? trying to see just how safe they are to use.

!PeAcE!

ok just wanted to make sure they were pretty much fall proof before purchasing one. thanks for your input!

Cush

They are as secure as you make them. I wouldn't just screw the track into your ceiling. I always go overboard and build something solid from 2 x 4s and brackets which are cheap enough.

G

good drown

the track fell off someone i know. it was up like 6 months before it happened. luckily he was home, and smelt burning. had he not of been home, who knows. it did not break anything, killed a plant or 2
it was not in studs in the ceiling. i cant believe it took so long to fall, the reflector was a very heavy 1000w, im guessing 50lbs.
always hang anything using studs. i then use hooks and chain or whatever rated at least double the weight i intend to use, usually rated 3x the weight. better safe than sorry

!PeAcE!

yea im drilling the rail right into the beam support for the house so I am pretty sure she shall hold but ill hang a 40lb weight by the motor (since what i actually will be hanging will only be around 15lbs.

BORNaSMOKER

I have hung 4 600 w reflectors on one motor with a home made extension bar with no problems. I have also hung the rail on chains in situations where the roof is too high.

One has fallen with a friend of mine too but this again as someone said earlier, was due to a cowboy rigging job in the first place.

DeoXy

Guess anything not properly secured would be prone to falling off.. I use retractable pulleys as I'm only rocking out 1 600watt HPS in my tent, those motorized tracks for the lights have always intrested me... How beneficial are they compared to just rotating plants by hand for even light distribution?