What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silverback discussion about Mould.

G

Thank you Phrank, Im going to look for yours as well and thank you farmaz2. Thanx tropical, I wish I had a dry season and i wish it would come in september! Glad you guys are here and I enjoy the converse.

Farmaz2, I think im going to look into the amistar and see what I come up with. The delay in flowering is troubling however.

Im not opposed to chemicals if they are not harmful and are effective. Ive grown up using them in farming and view them in a positive light as opposed to most growers. Having said that, i do believe caution should be the first rule when using chemicals. I try to do the homework and know for sure what Im squirting on them.

Tropical, Im only opposed to topping some plants, those that will mold easily and when the topping will result in increased lower density and decreased air flow. Its only those that I don't top. There are a couple of strains that I grow regularly that must be topped to get any yeild and I top those as a regular practice.

Thanx again for your 2cents.

Last edited:

gunnaknow

silverback said:
Farmaz2, I think im going to look into the amistar and see what I come up with. The delay in flowering is troubling however.

I don't think that it delays flowering, it just delays leaf senescence.

G

Your right Gunna, it wouldnt delay flowering at all, I see no point in using it untill it starts flowering, so you would know what sex they are. Alot of senescence in plants is speeded up by fungal infections, rusts, septorias, blotchs, mildew. Its no coincidence as these strike when the plants resistance is at its lowest, if you like its mindset is more focussed on seed/flower formation, than on maintaining leaf growth. Spraying on leaves lower down the plant, the strobulins work upwards to growing tips & buds systemically, innoculating the buds from infection. Hope that helps Silverback, if you have a friend in the trade, ask him what he thinks, I'd like to hear more.
cheers.

G

Oh boy Wally,do i know catapillars......

Have had thousands on my crops shitting in the bud
and molding the hell out of them,ofcorse in a FIELD
it is harder then you think sometimes......here i have
from 60% humidity to 90% year round,it NEVER dries??
Here is a key for you folks to remember.....in all MJ plants
mold can really only attack the plants when they are into flower
period with about a month to a few weeks away from done!
Thats when the plants natural defences start to slow down....
So even with a field,i try and place the more done plants in or near
my sheds for protection and i do well enuff that way!!!!!!
Mold is also different each year,some years being worst than others???
The product sounds good though!!
Good topic,and if you dont get mold outdoors YOUR LUCKY!
Keep it green but keep it clean..........good luck folks..

hey gunnaknow.. I think the reason why your early flowering plants molded but the later ones didn't.. is the early ones were indica while the longer flowering plants were sativa.

It probably seems to obvious but that's the reason why some were molding but some weren't.. sativa's in general have a more open bud structure that allows them to handle worse conditions..

silverback.. I like what I'm hearing,, I think everyone has some issues of mold.. so this is a great convo.. What are th products that you used ??

I too believe that some of the steps your taking aren't proper fixes for your problem.

I think keeping an open plant structure for light and air a the most important.. but like was said.. not topping.. will definetly let less light and air to the middle of your buds.... that's where your problem probaly starts.

I know that tying over a plant will definetly increase yield in some cases.. but again.. closer to the ground.. definetly more frost and dew, less sun, more of a chance for mold.

also not trying to get to touchy close.. but where are you growing?? is it in a valley , hills, low lying fields? or everywhere and you still get it? just wondering if its climate or possibly a small micro-climate that you could avoid.

I do not know why, but a friend i know tried the greencure, and for the first time in the four years I have worked with him, he had so much mold that he lost half the crop.

I used it on a plant I referred to as my houseplant, cause I kept it home. That plant developed powdery mildew when it was in the last days if bloom and it was wide spread. That one became tincture.

Now, I am wondering about whether it can be used in my climate. As I said in a previous reply, I had almost no problems this year with mold. We never lost 1/2 the crop. I just use the neem/garlic oil and it works fine. I use it it early and regular during veg. I also look for early harvest.

G

Hi all, good conversation

Hey GG, I'm using the greencure from megagrow. com. Ive used it for several years and it has always worked perfectly for me. Ive never used it and then went on to get serious mould with one exception I'll talk about in a minute. You're correct in that keeping the air flowing, keep the other weeds off your plants, those are really the deterents to mould.

I grow in varied locations and I try to match the strain to that location. For example, I have 2 grow sites that are next to creeks. That means they are likely to be wet due to the fog that can emminate from water warmer than the air in fall. Because the location is down in the valley so to speak, air circulation is reduced and hampered even more because these sites have deep rich soil and the native weeds grow to 10' or 3 meters. Because the area is low lying, cold air collects there as well. I only grow the most mould resistant strains in these areas. They can lay wet with dew until noon. No big bud here.

I have 6 other sites that are higher ground and are more agreeable to less vigorous and resistant strains. My humidity is high in summer regaurdless of location. Lots of sticky days.

Hi Hippie, I just cant imagine what has happened with you and your friend. Last year, I grew one of the worst plants for mould I have ever grown = It was NL5 X Skunk. It started moulding on the 4th week of flower. When the bud structure was pulled apart, the small inner leaves were snow white from no photosynthesis. The buds were so dense and leafy. I went and sprayed the Greencure on it and the mould would slough off, but 2 weeks later it was back. BY the end of the season, the plant looked like a poodle who had escaped the groomer half way through the trimming process. I lost half the plant to mould. After using these products for seven or more years, this was the one and only instance where it failed me somewhat. I won't be growing that strain again.

I do know my friend was growing new strains which may not have been as mold resistant as his usuall. My house plant, cause I just had to have one plant close, grew in my very shady courtyard. Just before 1st frost, I moved it to a more secure location. Then after the frost I moved it into the greenhouse. I probably should have just harvested then. Within days the plant was covered in white mold. Such a shame, because it was doing so well, considering.

I guess, I am just a hobby grower who grows own medicine. I can afford to play in the garden and try new things. This is not a money crop for me.

G

if it makes anyone feel better i lost 8+ pounds of serious ak47 to mold this year... actually it was probably more like 10 but.. i lie to myself to ease the depression....... on a real sad note i was in the hydro store one day and some guy came in and i overheard him say he lost around 45 .... as soon as i heard that i felt like a million bucks... btw dude if you read this im so so sorry for your loss.

G

Thats reason for serious depression ESCOB, I feel sorry for both of you guys.

Its really the reason I started this discussion. I know for a fact that if you had known they were starting to mould, you could have gone out and sprayed 3$ worth of this stuff on them and been good to go. You would have saved what was left of the crop. If you had made a visit a week or so earlier, it would have prevented the mould altogether. The grower can easily and safely prevent and cure mould in a personal marijuana grow and in my view its unecessary to loose a grow to mould anymore.

skin

good thread silverback , very interesting reading !
i have recently moved to another country and am getting every sort of mould, mildew and creepy crawley going , i just got to find a supplier in europe now and hopefully that will be the mould under controll :)
thanks again

silverback you are awesome thx 4 directing me to this thread and thx for the info on the buckets also. i have a feeling your gonna recieve alot of thanx from the outdoor growers at the end of the season. u rock buddy stick around here we need more outdoor growers like urself. :headbange

D

dafunkyjunkie

Thanks Silverback, I use megagro products but I have never thought to use the greencure. The mychorrizal fungi, soil syrup, and aquarock (with the vacationing watering kit) is a must have but I had a different question. Have you used any of the other products like the megagro spray on any of your crops Silverback? I was wondering because the person who grew the world's largest pumpkin used megagro products. I was skeptical to use it, cuz it is a weak form of gibberic acid. But I also heard that very small doses of gibberic acid helps with growth. I was wondering if you had any feedback on this product

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Mold is what we refer to unknown mycelium stage fungus as lol, at least I do.

I just got a product called "infuse" made by bonide, says it is a "systemic disease controll" compound absorbed into plant tissue and keeps mold at bay for up to 4 weeks which sounds perfect for the end of the season when it gets dank and wet here in many many parts of NE..

Active ingredient is 1.55% Propiconazole

tokinjoe

Excellent thread bro!! I've had mold problems over the last few years, especially after I started planting in a particular bottom area. Not only does the morning dew collect heavier there but the soil is very sandy and the soil holds a shitload of moisture. I dig down 6" and the water starts filling the hole I dug. For this reason I have to grow in 20 gallon storage totes. It's a lot of work but this area receives a lot of sun from about 11am to 6pm or so. From what I can tell the mold is coming from caterpillars that eat into my buds and their excrement is the catalyst in creating the mold. Dipel has solved my caterpillar problem but I still get mold from rain and I guess, dew. I'm glad to know there are products out there that we can use. Again, thanks for the thread my friend. I'm going to put this info to good use and hopefully save some yield this year. Peace. :canabis:

tokinjoe

By the way, I grow from all Fem seeds. I see The Church strain says very mold resistant. What experiences, if any, have you guys had with mold resistant strains? I grew several Grapefruit year before last and they seemed to be prone to mold. Needless to say I'm a commercial grower and quality AND quantity are important.

G

Hey tokinjoe, I have a couple of spots I plant in just as the one you described. Great location, just wet. Greencure, applied 2-3 weeks into flowering will do it for most strains, ( its really better used as a preventitive measure. For a strain that gets it bad like the grapefruit you mention, Ill apply another application about 5-6 weeks in. Works every time. You can grow big bud in the shower with the stuff.
Just in the last year I have started going with femmed seeds as well so Im in a learning curve on them myself. My first observation is that there arent many good femmed outdoor strains of the indica persuasion, which is me.

Deft, Im a big believer in helpful chemicals and your product sounds interesting. I would use some caution with any product labeled as "systemic" as it is absorbed and replicated in the plant tissue. That can be harmless but it can also be deadly. Be careful man.

Hey daffy, I havent tried their other products and honestly havent' looked. Maybe I should! I grew up on a farm and we used the green cure for tobacco seedlings and blackberry plants so I was familiar with it.

D

dafunkyjunkie

Oops, I spelled gibberellic acid wrong earlier.... sorry. Silverback, I take it that you highly recommend the green cure... SOLD...but I have a question. Do you think the Green Cure would kill the mychorrizal fungi inoculates in the soil?

D

dafunkyjunkie

Yeah, do you think that Green Cure would kill the Mychorrizal Fungi? I know green cure sounds great and all, but the mychorrizal works wonders also. Has anyone tried the 2 together?

Latest posts

Latest posts