What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant clone directly in large pot?

JamesEaves

I'm sure someone has asked this question before but I can't find the thread. I've found research that shows that using pots that are too small hurts plant health (depending on the plant). But I haven't found research suggesting that using pots that are too big hurts plants. I can imagine how large pots could hurt plant development if water and nutrients are not well directed to the roots, but I haven't seen a study that shows that.

My question: why not plant clones directly into the final pot so you can save time by not transplanting and potentially get to flower faster by avoiding plant shocks?

Have any of you done any experiments?

RedDemon

i usually start in small solo cups after my clones root,then i bump up to 1 gallon pots after 2 weeks and 2 weeks later jump up to 3-5 gallon.Plants generally wont grow much until they root their pot so the transplants have to be on point.You dont want to take a clone directley into a 5 gallon pot because it will take awhile for the said plant to root that pot.

hope this helps

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You will get faster growth up potting. If you have to go straight to large container make sure to just water around the plant, not the whole container.

G

ganjygav

I skipped potting up this grow and I always pot up at least 3 times. I went straight from tiny pots to 15 litre pots.

I just watered less for first couple of weeks. I can honestly say i didn't notice any slower growth. I veg until my plants are between 16 and 18 inches high.
They did this in 5 weeks even with me super cropping and doing lst and topping. So exactly the same amount of time as with potting up 3 times.

One thing I did notice though, the roots at harvest weren't as many or as thick.
Not sure if this is anything to do with going straight into big pots though.

I suspect it's something to do with my intake at bottom of tent is pulling in very cold winter
air and that's just been sitting near the bottom around the pots this whole grow.

G

ganjygav

4 or 5 weeks growth

4 or 5 weeks growth

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I go from clone to big pot. Just saves the hassle of transplanting. Maybe it wastes some nutrient.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have gone back and forth with tomato plants. Up potting thousands of plants is not a lot of fun, but the growth difference is well worth it. With tomatoes being first to market gets you paid big time.

I start in flats, go to one gallon, then 3 gallon and to ground. Plants have flowers when going to ground which in turn gets me the quickest harvestable tomatoes. For the late season varieties I go from flats to 3 gallon. The roots and plants are never as stout as the up potted ones.

Big believer in transplanting. If I need to that is. If not save myself the work.

If you need convincing a side by side is easy to do.

Vibes for your gardens!

Wendull C.

Veteran
When you plant straight into big containers, roots go straight to the container wall, then grow down to the bottom and circle. This leaves much soil in the center of the pot un used.

If you up pot, you avoid this problem.

Last edited:

2011rex87

Honestly the size of pot and quantity of media as well as type of media is dictated by how often you need to feed your plants. Let me explain...

If you have a 4 INCH tall plant in a 10 gallon pot full of 100% coco, it will take a week to dry down before waterings.. which means you will be watering once a week which means you have 1 opportunity a week to feed.

If you have a 4 FOOT tall plant in a 1 gallon pot full of 100% coco, it will take less than a day to dry down before waterings... which means you will be watering every day or even more often. This gives you multiple opportunities to feed your plant fertilizer.

General rule of thumb is, bigger the pot, bigger the root ball, bigger the plant, bigger the yield. THIS ONLY WORKS if you can dry down your media often enough to be able to feed your plant or flush your plant when needed.

I am a licensed grower in Colorado and I work with thousands of plants in COCO or Rockwool or other hybrid medias. Some large scale production grows will have very large plants growing in very small pots to enable them to feed the plants several times a day on a drip system. This continuous feeding can lead to very large yields even though the size of the root ball is UNCOMMONLY small. This came as a surprise to me when I first encountered this because normally you would never expect such a large yielding plant to grow so well in such a small pot. Again it does work as long as the media is watered properly and the plant is fed as often as needed.

So your biggest concern when putting a small seedling into a large pot is that you will saturate the pot to the point here the media is not drying down fast enough for you to feed the plant as often as the plant would like to be fed. You could adjust the total ppm of the feed up but that risks burning sensitive plants. It is best to use a media and a pot size that allows you to dry down every other day or every few days so that you have those opportunities to feed. As I've said before, plants love a feast and famine cycle of dry down, then soak, then dry down, then soak. Plants will struggle in a media that is constantly wet.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I did some side by sides with a chem d x og. I went from 20 oz cup to 1 gal to 7 gallon fabric. And I put others directly in 7 gal fabric. Right off the start it was clear the smaller pot was making a more vigorous healthy plant. But at around 4 to 6 weeks the plants I put directly in 7s took hold and ended up surpassing the others. In stalk size and branching. I am sure all strains are not the same. I think the decision should be based on whats size finished plant you want. If you want a shorter veg and more plants per light start small. If you want monster trees go direct to big pots and veg them til they grow all the way into it.

Like I said. I only did side by with one strain, vegged under 600 mh. I am a bad note taker but im guessing I vegged about 6 weeks.

h.h.

Veteran
You will get faster growth up potting. If you have to go straight to large container make sure to just water around the plant, not the whole container.

Exactly. Roots follow water. Don't water the sides and bottom, water the plant.

theJointedOne

Veteran
When you plant straight into big containers, roots go straight to the container wall, then grow down to the bottom and circle. This leaves much soil in the center of the pot un used.

only with non breathable pots

also.."un used"? Thats a pretty big assumption..id beg to differ that even on plastic pots the soil goes 'un used'.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Its not an assumption. I dont mean organic dirt either. I mean short indoor crops i have checked the root ball on. Always seemed there was much in the bottom half of the container in the very center with little roots.