What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jack Herrer not feeling so good. (with images)

OK guys ! update.
sorry it took a while. i have been super busty these days. but now im here :tiphat:

this is the mother plant and her babies.
how they look now.

i think they look much better, what do you guys think?
i replanted the smaller ones in a much more "less fertilized" soil. half the fertilizer-dose that i used in the first place. (see my first post, soilmix)
i also slow down on the watering significally.
do they look healthy? is it anything i could improve?

some of the plants did not respond so well to my treatment. these are the worst ones. and they still look sick.

i have started giving them cal-mag and phosporus.

this is another plant.
i have noticed some of the leafs starting to curl, you can see on the picture. curling invards along the side of the leaf. anyone have any suggestions on why this is?

and once again, THANK you everybody that took your time and help me on the right path.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I'm thinking too that your mix was too hot initially, with no proper micro herd. Whole lotta cow shit in there...
I'd always be careful with manures... they tend to bring bad shit with them literally, especially anaerobic bacteria that will fuck up your soil.
Use worm castings and bat shit if necessary.
Another problem to keep in mind when using blood meal is that it takes a while for the iron from the blood to be available from my experience, better let your soil cook with right humidity, moist not wet not dry, for 2weeks+ before planting anything... add some Liquid Karma to help the microbes get going during that time.
I have yet to see a too hot soil with micro herd thriving, meaning that these little guys pretty much sort everything out for you if they're doing well...
All the best and a happy harvest,
CC
I'm sure they'll pull through though

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
They look like they're headed in the right direction. Calcium is needed for sure- will take a lil time to see it come back around. Careful with the Mg. It's quite hard to knock it out in order to make space for Ca. If you have any other sources of calcium, work with those.

Yeah I'm thinking too that your mix was too hot initially, with no proper micro herd. Whole lotta cow shit in there...
I'd always be careful with manures... they tend to bring bad shit with them literally, especially anaerobic bacteria that will fuck up your soil.
Use worm castings and bat shit if necessary.
Another problem to keep in mind when using blood meal is that it takes a while for the iron from the blood to be available from my experience, better let your soil cook with right humidity, moist not wet not dry, for 2weeks+ before planting anything... add some Liquid Karma to help the microbes get going during that time.
I have yet to see a too hot soil with micro herd thriving, meaning that these little guys pretty much sort everything out for you if they're doing well...
All the best and a happy harvest,
CC
I'm sure they'll pull through though

so for the next run, i could skip the cow manure and use worm castings instead? i also have bat guanu at home, but did not use it for this grow.
i actually did let the mix cook/compost for about 4 weeks, the mix turned really hot (literally, it became warm). but i guess it turned out to be too much of the good stuff for the plants :laughing:
thanks for the reply man.
They look like they're headed in the right direction. Calcium is needed for sure- will take a lil time to see it come back around. Careful with the Mg. It's quite hard to knock it out in order to make space for Ca. If you have any other sources of calcium, work with those.
thanks for the tip! you have any recomendation on a good source of calcium? preferably something i can find in the food store or at the pharmacy. thanks for the reply! :tiphat:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
There is nothing wrong with hot soil, as long as it has rested enough for the pH to become stable.

What you should always do, is top hot soil up with an inch of light soil, put the plant on top of that and fill the sides with more light soil. If you then give a light dose (0.2 EC) of a high P/K late bloom fertilizer, the roots will grow into the medium without a problem, because they have the space to adapt to it.

There is nothing wrong with hot soil, as long as it has rested enough for the pH to become stable.

What you should always do, is top hot soil up with an inch of light soil, put the plant on top of that and fill the sides with more light soil. If you then give a light dose (0.2 EC) of a high P/K late bloom fertilizer, the roots will grow into the medium without a problem, because they have the space to adapt to it.

thanks for the good advice tanzanianmagic! i did let the soil rest for about 4 weeks before putting the plants in it, but the soil did not become stable enough i think. (ph problems as shown earlier in the thread) probably me not mixing it properly.

i will definitly use your method when replanting in the future.

come to think of it, could this be nitrogen toxicity ? very dark green, shiny leafs, curling tips. think i will do a flush on this one.
what you guys think?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
come to think of it, could this be nitrogen toxicity ? very dark green, shiny leafs, curling tips. think i will do a flush on this one.
what you guys think?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75789&pictureid=1817302&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75789&pictureid=1817304&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Magnesium, because of the purple stems and deep green leaves, plus the knowledge that weed uses a lot of magnesium anyway.

If it's lockout rather than a nutrient deficiency, whatever the plants needs most of at that moment in it's development, is what is going to show up as a nutrient deficiency. In late vegging to early flowering, the plant needs more magnesium and phosphorus. Low temperatures can also lockout magnesium.

Magnesium, because of the purple stems and deep green leaves, plus the knowledge that weed uses a lot of magnesium anyway.

If it's lockout rather than a nutrient deficiency, whatever the plants needs most of at that moment in it's development, is what is going to show up as a nutrient deficiency. In late vegging to early flowering, the plant needs more magnesium and phosphorus. Low temperatures can also lockout magnesium.

you mean magnesium toxicity or magnesium deficiency?
thanks for the valuable information, great to know those things.
sry for my noobish questions. im in my third-ever grow and still learning. growing weed is a whole science. but sooo much fun in the same time! :dance013:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I'm glad Tanzanian jumped first. I was sitting in the middle of N/Mg. Typically if your N is toxic either as ammonium or nitrate, the curling is infinitely worse. The explanation I've read on this is that the tissue is growing faster than the veins. Thus it looks like a bulbous burn victim lol. In your case, I saw that curling but it's nowhere near bad enough.

Look into calcium chloride or calcium sulphate. The calcium sulphate is immediately available- not sure about the chloride. And as your plants are recovering use any remedy in smaller amounts to begin with so as not to choke the whole thing if we're wrong.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm glad Tanzanian jumped first. I was sitting in the middle of N/Mg. Typically if your N is toxic either as ammonium or nitrate, the curling is infinitely worse. The explanation I've read on this is that the tissue is growing faster than the veins. Thus it looks like a bulbous burn victim lol. In your case, I saw that curling but it's nowhere near bad enough.

Look into calcium chloride or calcium sulphate. The calcium sulphate is immediately available- not sure about the chloride. And as your plants are recovering use any remedy in smaller amounts to begin with so as not to choke the whole thing if we're wrong.

A foliar Ca like Albion, Baicor etc. would help a lot. I wouldn't apply calcium chloride on the soil. Foliar calcium chloride works well too!

If you spray Mg foliarly, it will help the plant shed some of that N.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
you mean magnesium toxicity or magnesium deficiency? thanks for the valuable information, great to know those things. sry for my noobish questions. im in my third-ever grow and still learning. growing weed is a whole science. but sooo much fun in the same time! :dance013:
No problem at all, I'm still learning too after 14 grows and will for the next 14 too.

They're not getting enough magnesium. So whether they just need more, or whether nurients are locked out because of low temperatures or overwatering will determine that.

Just to add, the photos don't show it clearly, however if the pots are on the ground, that would likely be too cold for the roots, especially this time of year. This could lock out the magnesium and all that would be required would be to put the pots on a bench or even a folded crate. Just so there is some space between the pots and the floor.

When nutrients are locked out, they just stay in the medium, which can lead to toxic buildups when they do become available again.

I've read many books, however two books I've absorbed over the years, are:

The Marijuana Garden Saver, by Ed Rosenthal.​
Just to memorize and re-read all the plant nutrient deficiencies and insect attack and fungal outbreaks.

True Living Organics, by The Rev​
For all the descriptions of natural products, their applications and where to find nutrients in organic materials. He basically works with a version of Supersoil, and adds reservoirs and mulch layers, which I'm expanding upon in my own grows. There is a second edition out.

Last edited:

thanks for the advice and knowledge!
A foliar Ca like Albion, Baicor etc. would help a lot. I wouldn't apply calcium chloride on the soil. Foliar calcium chloride works well too!

If you spray Mg foliarly, it will help the plant shed some of that N.
i have started foliar feeding cal-mag and also adding it to the water. the plants have responded really well to it!
No problem at all, I'm still learning too after 14 grows and will for the next 14 too.

They're not getting enough magnesium. So whether they just need more, or whether nurients are locked out because of low temperatures or overwatering will determine that.

Just to add, the photos don't show it clearly, however if the pots are on the ground, that would likely be too cold for the roots, especially this time of year. This could lock out the magnesium and all that would be required would be to put the pots on a bench or even a folded crate. Just so there is some space between the pots and the floor.

When nutrients are locked out, they just stay in the medium, which can lead to toxic buildups when they do become available again.

I've read many books, however two books I've absorbed over the years, are:

The Marijuana Garden Saver, by Ed Rosenthal.​
Just to memorize and re-read all the plant nutrient deficiencies and insect attack and fungal outbreaks.

True Living Organics, by The Rev​
For all the descriptions of natural products, their applications and where to find nutrients in organic materials. He basically works with a version of Supersoil, and adds reservoirs and mulch layers, which I'm expanding upon in my own grows. There is a second edition out.

thanks for the reply tanza! the pots do stand on the floor. but it is an insulated wooden floor so its pritty warm, not like a cold concrete floor. i will definitly have a look on the books.

OK ladies and gentlemen ! now that i got your attention :biggrin:
its time to mix up a soil to use on the next grow. this is the ingredients i have at hand.

i will insert images so you can se exactly whats in the stuff.
top soil

cow manure

worm castings

chicken manure

This is the stuff i got in hand, i also have bat guanu, perlite and epsom salt. but forgot to take any pics. anybody got a good recepie on how i should mix this? what ratios, in gallons or Liters. doesnt matters. lets say i want to mix a total of 100 liters (25 gallons)

my last mix did not turn out the way i wanted. too hot. thats why i turn to you experts, i know we got some real skilled growers around here. :tiphat: