What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about posting on social media

O

Orrie

Yeah, that whole song makes a lot more sense these days!

So who did you give your phone # to?
That is really scary, if what I think happened did...
If ISPs can not only sell your browsing history, but also your personal data, like phone and home address, then indeed, there is no privacy.

Unfortunately, most ppl cannot choose their ISP, otherwise, any company that would guarantee your privacy, not sell any data to anyone, would suddenly become very popular... That is true competition based on features, instead of everyone kowtowing to the gov't and ad agencies.

We should be paid every time our data is sold at the very least (oh, but they give you FREE access to their websites & services in return, no?)

Skip

We don't give our # out to anyone and are on every do not call list there is.

My guess is from my wife's Facebook page which years ago had some private info... (she was new to social media)

all of which was removed as soon as I saw it but nothing is ever gone as it still exists in the cloud

That is the only place I can think of, unless that new TV of ours has been spying on me.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Facebook uses a matrix to locate you and have data mining software to compile info. The only way to escape data mining is to ditch these services completely. But for many Internet users, access to Facebook and Google products is part of their daily routines.

bobert

Remember too, our servers are in the Netherlands, so that affords some protection too, as it's more difficult for the US to dig into our database. Whereas American based social networks have not only put in backdoors for LEO, but have helped develop special interfaces into their data for LEO.

All big American IT companies have been compelled to cooperate with the gov't due to national security issues. And we've seen what has happened, companies have co-opted your data and privacy, and sold it to the Gov't and Ad industry.

If you knew how many billions have been paid to Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, etc. to get them to comply with the spy agencies, you'll understand why there are so many backdoors in our software that allow so many hackers to screw us over.

So much for the US gov't protecting us...

Well that gives me some sense of security, being in the US, but not really :/ gotta love big brother!

Facebook uses a matrix to locate you and have data mining software to compile info. The only way to escape data mining is to ditch these services completely. But for many Internet users, access to Facebook and Google products is part of their daily routines.

I've been looking into ways to hide my ip# and disable cookies so nothing can be tracked back to me but it is extremely difficult.

The onion router hides your ip# through a series of ip#'s all around the world. Almost like using a proxy server with multiple ip addresses. I'm not sure if that actually works, I just saw a commercial for it on Viceland. Kinda interesting!

Skip

Veteran
I've been looking into ways to hide my ip# and disable cookies so nothing can be tracked back to me but it is extremely difficult.
Disabling cookies helps stop targeted advertising. You can enable cookies on a site-by-site basis, so things still function normally - like not getting signed off ICmag after an hour.

However given the spy capabilities these days, a cookie isn't protection from that, or hackers.

Another piece of advice... I still have an email account at hotmail. Once I stopped forwarding mail to it, my spam dropped 98%. Remember using a major corp's email system means your email addy, IP# (and more!) can be sold to advertisers and the gov't.

Now I use my own email accounts on my own servers and no advertiser can spam me, UNLESS, someone I send mail to isn't so savvy and their address book is open for all to see...

Even worse! I started communicating with a new vendor from Spain, and suddenly, I'm getting inundated with spam emails in Spanish! Next thing I know my news reader is popping up news in Spanish! Then I read one of the articles in Spanish, then I start getting a whole lot more. Now I understand the logic behind this kind of process, but once started, it's nearly impossible to stop...

As far as using proxies to hide IP#s, people who do this are now under more suspicion. But really, I doubt any LEO is gonna go fishing thru IP#s to find someone growing pot. Because LEOs are so localized it doesn't do them any good unless they've already got a lead on someone local and they just want to confirm it.

bobert

That is absolutely absurd. People should have a right to privacy, without fearing their information is being sold.

Thank you again for sharing your savvyness, I need to step my game up!!

O

Orrie

Facebook was my fault. I regret encouraging my wife to get into social media after a surgery laid her up a couple years back. I regret not monitoring the settings even more.

The defaults are all wrong for novice users like my wife. Everything is up for public view unless the settings are changed to only friends or some shit like that. That is where I believe my privacy breach came from. She is more aware now of what she posts but like I say, the information never goes away.

St. Phatty

Facebook was my fault.

the information never goes away.

That's what makes Facebook a Scam -

the ILLUSION that you or I, the account-holders, have control over our account & content.

Well ... then we'd be able to DELETE posts.

Sure would like to see the Winklevoss twins have a second go at Social Media.

Facebook offers Mucho De room for improvement.

O

Orrie

Facebook sucks for sure but no way to put that genie back in the bottle. It is part of her routine and the way it is.

On a lighter note, this must be what Skip was referring to earlier
We're gonna be rich!!!

Bill would make internet providers pay you for selling your personal data

If someone secretly collects your personal information without your consent and sells it to marketing companies, you might as well get a cut, right?

After Congress elected to get rid of rules that would have banned Internet service providers like Comcast and AT&T from mining consumers' browsing data and selling it advertisers, Minnesota legislators stepped up to protect Internet privacy.
Both chambers of the legislature passed measures to preemptively prohibit that sort of thing being done to Minnesotans. It had strong popular support, and easily earned bipartisan votes.
However, this week Rep. Pat Garofalo (R-Farmington) stripped Internet privacy provisions out of the Omnibus Jobs and Energy bill, saying that he intended to blend it with another, unrelated bill that needed some alterations. He promised that it would eventually be added back in.
Democratic proponents of the original Internet privacy bill were wary. Sen. Ron Latz (DFL-St. Louis Park) and Rep. Paul Thissen (DFL-Minneapolis) held a press conference decrying the move. Their Republican colleagues Garofalo and Sen. David Osmek (R-Mound) told them to chill, and to have faith that nothing is amiss.
On Thursday, Thissen forged ahead. He introduced a new Internet bill that, while it doesn't ensure anybody's privacy, would force service providers to pay consumers back.
His bill would direct the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to determine how much Internet providers profit from the selling of consumer data, and how much they should pay consumers for using their data. Beginning in January 2019 Internet service providers would have to start paying out.
"Right now, our economy is becoming increasingly dominated by a handful of incredibly powerful companies who make huge amounts of money trading on the personal information of Americans," Thissen said. "It's time for Minnesotans to have ownership of their own personal information recognized and to share in the profits made off the sale of that information."

http://citypages.com/news/bill-woul...-you-for-selling-your-personal-data/421367764

bobert

On a lighter note, this must be what Skip was referring to earlier
We're gonna be rich!!!

Bill would make internet providers pay you for selling your personal data

If someone secretly collects your personal information without your consent and sells it to marketing companies, you might as well get a cut, right?

That's very interesting. I hope that happens all across the states and not just in Minnesota.

But, considering their money is at risk the ISP's will most likely lobby hard against that bill. It's a shame their interests are in profit and not 'the people'.

St. Phatty

I think forums like ICMag qualify as Social Media in the truest (good) sense of the word.

Brings people together & results in real life meetings. Thank you ICMag !

I have seen with family members who worked in the Web industry & other tech folks, how some of them are very pro-Facebook.

And literally make fun of software like vBulletin (that ICMag uses) for being 'old-fashioned'.

There is definitely a financial pull in corporate America. Just like in the old days, "nobody ever got fired for recommending IBM", nowadays, nobody gets fired for telling their marketing clients to use Facebook to promote their business. So now it's, "Nobody ever got fired for recommending Facebook."

Just thinking of the business end, I would guess ICMag might make more money selling Cannabis ads than Facebook does.

O

Orrie

That's very interesting. I hope that happens all across the states and not just in Minnesota.

But, considering their money is at risk the ISP's will most likely lobby hard against that bill. It's a shame their interests are in profit and not 'the people'.

You can bet they will lobby hard
I was thinking the real shame is they could use that money to pay the people instead of the politicians and still come out ahead:dance013:

bobert

I think forums like ICMag qualify as Social Media in the truest (good) sense of the word.

Brings people together & results in real life meetings. Thank you ICMag !

I have seen with family members who worked in the Web industry & other tech folks, how some of them are very pro-Facebook.

And literally make fun of software like vBulletin (that ICMag uses) for being 'old-fashioned'.

I agree. ICMag too is basically social media, but without the intrusions Facebook comes with.

And there's nothing wrong with icmag being 'old-fashioned'. I like it that way :)

You can bet they will lobby hard
I was thinking the real shame is they could use that money to pay the people instead of the politicians and still come out ahead:dance013:

They definitely could. It is a shame :/

O

Orrie

I agree. ICMag too is basically social media, but without the intrusions Facebook comes with.

Yup, we will be expecting those pics you were thinking of posting on those other sites very soon !

I'm kidding. Be as safe as you feel you need to be and don't feel pressured to post anything you are not comfortable with.
Good luck in all your endeavors bro.

bobert

Yup, we will be expecting those pics you were thinking of posting on those other sites very soon !

I'm kidding. Be as safe as you feel you need to be and don't feel pressured to post anything you are not comfortable with.
Good luck in all your endeavors bro.

Aha. I actually already posted them here once I made up my mind about not posting them elsewhere.

I appreciate the good luck wish. Here is the link

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=342607

I would not put on facebook but instagram, the game has changed.
People sell cuts, oil, edibles, everything in denver through ig stories!
World is changing, and now with so many legal states, it is a different world!

mcnasty

Well that gives me some sense of security, being in the US, but not really :/ gotta love big brother!

The onion router hides your ip# through a series of ip#'s all around the world. Almost like using a proxy server with multiple ip addresses. I'm not sure if that actually works, I just saw a commercial for it on Viceland. Kinda interesting!

Unfortunately using these kinds of things usually gets you flagged as one to watch.