What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Cleaner: How to make your own?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Just pulled the trigger on some Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner and Soybean oil. I have 91% Iso on hand. We'll see what comes of this. :yes:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Oz/gallon I believe he mentioned above for iso.

Bronner's is also my go-to, especially at half the price of agricultural use insecticidal soaps.

Plus, all that sweet Jesus information. The company is also pro cannabis, I believe originating with the good doctor as a result of his religious bent re: if He made it, it is good, or something along those lines.

I say give it a go but with a few caveats.

Experimenting takes money and time. Each solution will need clean plants, any that pass a basic phytotoxicity test will need clean (untreated) plants infested with the target pest.

Right off the bat, soybean oil is graded from raw unrefined up to pharmaceutical, compounding the number of tests by each grade.

Glow is the person you're looking for. He has experience deconstructing unknown recipes and should be able to point you in a better direction.

Given you already have a list and just need type/proportions, paying for analysis may be the simplest route and save much time, which I frequently find eclipses money in value.

Be the soil....

NN6vDBg.png

I believe glow was banned for promoting his website. Good read for anyone interested in soluble nutrients or coir. New book soon too I think.

The posts are hard to find but generally scattered in the "Nutrients and Fertilizers" and "Coco Coir" subforums.

He may be able to recommend somewhere to have it analyzed. Not cheaply me thinks.

Other wise,

A middle of the road refined oil would be a good place to start. Soybean may have been chosen for the price alone, rather than any special quality. If there are other constituents at play, raw may be preferable, as neem. Or perhaps like mineral (stylet) oil and must be highly purified.

Just where my mind goes.

Other search engines far outweigh the one on this site... He is here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Nutrients+and+Fertilizers%22+glow+site%3Aicmag.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Just pulled the trigger on some Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner and Soybean oil. I have 91% Iso on hand. We'll see what comes of this. :yes:

If you need any other oils, (I use lemongrass rosemary and others.) prices are good on bulk sizes here:
https://www.100pureessentialoils.com/collections/bulk-essential-oils

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate here:
http://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-ingredients/other-ingredients-and-chemicals/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-sls/

I personally do not like experimenting when it comes to infestation organic grown or not.
I use Class B chemical pesticide Farm grade.
I want them dead now and for good.
The problem with all these store bought organic pesticides is there just to weak allowing time to get rid of them .
And most of the time they creep back up on you ..
People use other insects to kill unwanted insects, but the problem is they never will get rid of there food source
Who ever thought insects were smart ???

They will start harvesting them , then allow them to re colonize and harvest

Bottom line Even real organic farmers use chemical pesticides, so who are we kidding.
Our plants grow so fast there is no time to allow 10 applications in hopes to rid plant from insects.
I rather do one application and call it a day

Proper IPM alongside predatory mites predatory beetles and clean practices go a long way...
Although there are always special cases that need rougher treatment,
I dont advocate grabbing the most toxic bottle available immediately for every case.
yBf2JBB.jpg

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
site:icmag.com is gold. Can't stand the outdated software here. Is critisizing the forum coding a bannable offense?

I'd be fine with that.

newdirections.com/ca has dank l337 oilz as well.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Be the soil....

View Image

Other search engines far outweigh the one on this site... He is here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Nutrients+and+Fertilizers%22+glow+site%3Aicmag.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If you need any other oils, (I use lemongrass rosemary and others.) prices are good on bulk sizes here:
https://www.100pureessentialoils.com/collections/bulk-essential-oils

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate here:
http://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-ingredients/other-ingredients-and-chemicals/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-sls/

Proper IPM alongside predatory mites predatory beetles and clean practices go a long way...
Although there are always special cases that need rougher treatment,
I dont advocate grabbing the most toxic bottle available immediately for every case.
View Image

I was hoping to keep it simple and just get away with Sal Suds Biodegradable Cleaner as it already has the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Citric Acid. We'll see.

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Coco-Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Abies Siberica (Siberian Fir) Needle Oil, Picea Glauca (Spruce) Leaf Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I've had the Sals Suds, Soybean oil, and iso on hand for a bit now but was waiting to get through the last of the Green Cleaner before mixing up the custom stuff. As per Mile's recommendations on Iso and Sals amounts I'll mix up the first batch at (48 ounce pump sprayer)

10mL iso
10ml Sals
20mL Soybean oil

as well as my typical aloe, coconut water, yucca, and silicon. Not going to pussy foot around and am going to spray everything. Most, if not all, of my lessons are learned the hard way anyways so let's get it out of the way. :yes:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
best of luck wdi; let us know how it works for u.

just a note; that iso aint good for soil life, i usually do a light inoculation with microbes/em1 after a spray with iso.
also, if possible to cover your soil to avoid getting iso into soil, probably not a bad idea... i figure mulch layer protects pretty well tho, iso evaps fast tho...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The plants seem fine after the spray with the above recipe. There is definitely spots of thin oily film on the fan leaves so next time I think I will drop the Sals down to 5 mL and the soybean oil down to 15mL.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yo wdi, status update on this concoction? was it successful at killing mites at the reduced levels?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
yo wdi, status update on this concoction? was it successful at killing mites at the reduced levels?

I think it works, yes. I haven't seen any signs of them visible to the naked eye and growth has taken off again, even on the most affected plants (SFV & Garlic Breath). I haven't been going over them with a magnifying glass or scope but have been doing those sprays probably once a week. Instead of the Soybean oil too I have been using the Essential Oil Blend from Build A Soil. I DID notice some signs of slight burning on some of the more sensitive Skunk 91s after their first application with this spray. Granted the Essential oil blend was full strength and these aren't even teens yet. :2cents:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya i've burned too much shit with that BAS essential oil blend - why did u stop using the soybean oil?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So what was your final recipe whodat? Thinkin bout tryin this, greencleaner is fuckin expensive...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Pretty much what I posted earlier I guess? Instead of using soybean oil I'll be using canola oil as it's cheaper and way easier to get. I was switching it up with neem but ran out and don't know if I'll be picking any more up. I am still using the essential oil blend from build a soil and will continue to do so until it is out but don't think I'll be using anymore of that as it's too easy to burn plants with it. I use it on the lower recommended application rate and have only seen issues with one plant who must be more sensitive to that oil mix. I have also started adding liquid seaweed extract so now the spray is an all around ipm + plant tonic with the aloe and coconut water extract too.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
been rinsing with kombucha; the strong stuff that's gone too far and tastes like vinegar, i dilute it down with about 1-3 oz per gallon

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
green cleaner recipe:
48 oz.
10mL 90% iso alcohol
5ml Dr. Bronners Sals Suds
15mL Canola oil or neem and/or essential oils

1 gal.
30mL 90% iso alcohol
15ml Dr. Bronners Sals Suds
30mL Canola oil or neem and/or essential oils

is this the final green cleaner recipe?
I went to buy some and the store said its soap and ISO and bronners.
he said make it your self.