What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Cannabis as medicine really work?

I would imagine the higher the cbd content, the easier it would have been. 15 years ago I didn't ever get cannabis with a strain name attached to it. ;)

Helps reduce the need for as much opiates, while also making withdrawls MUCH more comfortable, yes. I vividly remember many times having to use so much opiates I was so nauseous and uncomfortable I wanted to scream. A couple puffs of even low grade cannabis made me feel soooo much better it's unreal.

The correct strain, properly prepared, will remove all but the most extreme pain. We're talking a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the amount of opiates a country would consume, when cannabis is co-prescribed. Massive money losses.

All doctors should prescribe a combination of cannabis and opiates, when severe pain is the issue. People will use significantly less opiates, much healthier.

Hmmm. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, guess they were probably much stronger then now that government is getting involved the strains may get weaker and weaker, sigh.

Yeah, I know some people on a lot of opiates so I was just curious on that one. Could see why government is so hesitant on this one. Maybe they're trying to determine if they could make nearly as much from medicinal by tying it to treatments like chemotherapy rather than just giving it out with standard opiates.

Thanks for the information, :)

Interesting. Haha, I dug up a patent in the early 90's that the government was holding in regards to Cannabis. Will have to dig that up unless someone can find it for me again. It's almost like they have had this planned all along to legalize. I just hope it doesn't end up getting locked into government hands and never mass-legalized in most places for recreational use!

corky1968

Veteran
Interesting. Haha, I dug up a patent in the early 90's that the government was holding in regards to Cannabis. Will have to dig that up unless someone can find it for me again. It's almost like they have had this planned all along to legalize. I just hope it doesn't end up getting locked into government hands and never mass-legalized in most places for recreational use!

If you scroll down on that link you can see more Patent Citations near the bottom.

If you scroll down on that link you can see more Patent Citations near the bottom.

Ahh, nice. I see a Cannabinoids patent from 1999 that is somewhat relevant to the one I remember someone mentioning not too long ago. Thanks for pointing that out, not quite sure how I missed it really.

:thank you:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hmmm. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, guess they were probably much stronger then now that government is getting involved the strains may get weaker and weaker, sigh.
It was rather poor quality.

I have access to much higher potency these days. ;) Home growers will always have access to stuff like I have.

It was rather poor quality.

I have access to much higher potency these days. ;) Home growers will always have access to stuff like I have.

Ahh, interesting. Guess now that there are more home growers making their own stuff and with the power of the internet it kind of greatly changes the playing field for Cannabis, eh?

I should have thought that one out a bit better, haha.

I imagine back then they had to kind of do their own thing and hope for the best. Now they can just search for it all on a form like ICMAG and get all the answers in one place, do trial and error and get their grow near perfected.

:peacock:

It depends on the kind of cannabis.

According to research of the Dutch government Bureau voor Medicinale Cannabis;

• In general high THC strains work and high CBD strains don't.
  • 12 out of 13 high THC users in the past year are still using it now.
  • less than 1 in 4 high CBD users in the past year is still using it now.
  • The medical effect of high THC strains is rated with 7 points.
  • The medical effect of high CBD strains is rated with 2 points.
  • Moderate THC strains are the most effective*.
  • Terpenoids determine the medical value**!

*The average daily dose of moderate THC users is 40% (!) lower than that of high THC users so in medical effect moderate THC is truly superior.

** That makes sense, because less cannabinoids mean more terpenoids (not using chemicals to convert terpenoids to cannabinoids), which really determine the medical value.
The more terpenoids in a strain the higher it gets rated by the users (independent of cannabinoids).

So forget about the cannabinoids and focus on the terpenoids as they will reliably tell you how medicinal a plant is.

We should also look at the right terpenoids, for example what is good for armedoldhippy, lots of pinenes that protect the bones, is bad for oldchuck, who wants terpenoids that lower motility like linalool, not that cause adverse events like pinene.
The soon we look beyond cannabinoids we will be able to see it's pinene, typically the second terpene in high CBD strains, that causes so many adverse events and it's linalool most of all that decreases seizures.

Douglas.Curtis

It depends on the kind of cannabis.

According to research of the Dutch government Bureau voor Medicinale Cannabis;

• In general high THC strains work and high CBD strains don't.
  • 12 out of 13 high THC users in the past year are still using it now.
  • less than 1 in 4 high CBD users in the past year is still using it now.
  • The medical effect of high THC strains is rated with 7 points.
  • The medical effect of high CBD strains is rated with 2 points.
  • Moderate THC strains are the most effective*.
  • Terpenoids determine the medical value**!

*The average daily dose of moderate THC users is 40% (!) lower than that of high THC users so in medical effect moderate THC is truly superior.

** That makes sense, because less cannabinoids mean more terpenoids (not using chemicals to convert terpenoids to cannabinoids), which really determine the medical value.
The more terpenoids in a strain the higher it gets rated by the users (independent of cannabinoids).

So forget about the cannabinoids and focus on the terpenoids as they will reliably tell you how medicinal a plant is.

We should also look at the right terpenoids, for example what is good for armedoldhippy, lots of pinenes that protect the bones, is bad for oldchuck, who wants terpenoids that lower motility like linalool, not that cause adverse events like pinene.
The soon we look beyond cannabinoids we will be able to see it's pinene, typically the second terpene in high CBD strains, that causes so many adverse events and it's linalool most of all that decreases seizures.
This is interesting, because most of the high cbd offerings I've had from around colorado, have been disappointing.

The Canna-Tsu I'm growing is probably close to 1:1 and the terpene profile is neutral. When grown right she's a citrus strain, orange leaning. It works great for me and I'll be growing more of it. (pain, seizures, autism, blah blah blah)

I'm interested in growing a few other CBD strains I've tried before, just to make sure it wasn't just the poor quality at fault.

Terpenes are where it's at, you're correct. :) Why else does a 24% THC, 3% CBD indica hit completely different from a sativa with the same ratios? ;)

oldchuck

Veteran

Bubble do you have a reference for that? I'd like to look it up.

it works on nausea for me 100%...whether just ill or from drinkin

also greatly lowers stress; noticeably lowers to calming levels

i don't have other medical conditions to speak of its use, but i am a firm believer that the Endocannabinoid system has a lot to do with our homeostasis.

Robney

Yeah I just want to add that it is a miracle for IBS. I suffered from painful digestion for most of my life, went to lots of doctors, didn't really figure out much, and my body just didn't react well. I'd carry tums in my pocket an eat them like candy to try and aid the pain, but it didn't do much. Then I started smoking cuz my friends in high school did, and the pain disappeared. I haven't stopped smoking, and the pain has subsided. Some days I'll have a slight flare in pain, and certain strains keep the pain more thoroughly managed, but I've experienced good 80% reduction in the instances of stomach distress. And when those painful episodes do occur, I can smoke and be assured that the pain will disappear in about 20 minutes. I know it is simply my story, not any sort of study validated by an institution, but cannabis has made my life better.

Douglas.Curtis

it works on nausea for me 100%...whether just ill or from drinkin
I've used cannabis for 30+ years and always had problems with nausea and reading in cars.

Ya know, I've been on moderate CBD strains for about a year now, I can read a full book in a moving car, zero nausea! :)

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PTSD, insomnia, night sweats, chronic neropathy.

And getting high for fun (mood elevation fuk ya)

Galaxy420

the science for cannabis as a medicine is involved with the bodies endocannabinoid system. this 5 bil year old evolved system regulates homeostasis of your cells. there is lipid fat coating for signalling at the cell wall via the phosholipid bilayer and cannabinoids either endogenous ones created naturally or phyto derived cannabinoids from cannabis enter or exit the cell and carry crystalline molecular structures ( THC/CBD). so the simplistic version- lipid fat with crystalline molecular structures are the medicine for our bods to use and maintain homeostasis...

FredyJohnSmith

Marijuana as the medicine is not a new thing, It is being used for decades. It can cure cancer and not mention can take an alternative form of painkillers.

Natural hi brix weed is medicine. The hydroponic shit that has no detectable weed aroma and tastes like plastic, is not.

Sorry to hurt a bunch of feelings (not really) but the difference is night and day.

I saw somone curing tooth aches with weed on page one. I have some shit right now that will make every tooth in your head feel like it's about to fall out. And a headache to match. Literally, night and day. I even spent a year smoking just organic soil bud, and toughed through the next year of smoking nothing but hydroponic purchased from dispensaries,. tracking my well being along the way. I had to stop smoking for weeks at a time, I'm not convinced the shit isn't literal poison to the human body. The photos are proof. You'd think the shit was killing a healthy person, looking at the pics. I was accident prone, anti social, un motivated, lost my balance, forgot half what I know, and quite frankly I felt like it was killing me,and absolutely hated smoking the shit just to try and clear the side effects of last night's toke (clogged throat, headache, jacked up sinuses, drowsy feeling)

Straight up: synthetic, iv bag, steroid injected 3d printed weed is just like Marlborough cigarettes. Not natural, not even a plant product when you synthesize it with chemicals instead of growing it [in soil] (yes the cell structure of a synthesized plant differs from a grown plant, its literally a fake plant)

Douglas.Curtis

Natural hi brix weed is medicine. The hydroponic shit that has no detectable weed aroma and tastes like plastic, is not.
On the other hand, the superior quality hydro cannabis I grow is off the charts with flavor and aroma, without any dirt flavor to it. Nothing but complex and satisfying flavor and aromas... truly amazing. It generally takes me a bowl or two (or three) to get the same medicinal content I get from a tiny batload of what I grow. Same genetics, different growers, vastly superior quality from my hydro garden.

It's a night and day difference when you finally come across superior hydro quality. (I'm trying to teach more growers, it's just an uphill battle so far. lol)
:tiphat:
Save

Green Squall

Do you guys prefer smoking or vaping for pain? Do you think theres a big difference? Its been a year since I stopped combusting and I kinda feel like a joint sometimes.