What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Terpene. Great thread! Do u know how well these self-watering setups do with coco? If it will work Iam going to have to figure out a way to make a very small version. (That holds about a cup of medium)

Also, would it be better with straight coco, or cut with pearlite?

They work VERY well with coco. I would cut it with about 30-50% perlite as coco tends to overwick and get a little soggy. My straight out of the bag mix tends to get a slightly too wet and I was considering adding more porosity to my mix for a fluffier mixture.

Want an ultra cheap and easy little SIP container? Get a 1L coke bottle from the local 7-11, cut it in half, poke some holes in the top part and do this to it:
Illustration-pop-bottle-sub-irrigated_planter.png

8.jpg

I've made several for friends who want clone starter containers. I never make a wick though, I just let the soil sitting in the water act as the wick. I like to use landscape fabric zip tied over the bottom opening so the soil doesn't slip through. They work great and cost next to nothing.

Terpene

Veteran
Zamaldelica x (Tom Hill Haze x Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow) 11 days in.

picture.php

Irotas

As for your plants not liking LEDs - hogwash! With 9w bulbs, I like a minimum of 3-4 inches off the plants. If you run them closer, they may bleach out a bit as the bulbs are such an intense form of lighting. Lets see a picture of your plants, there may be something else going on that isn't lighting related (nutrients / moisture / etc).

At the moment I don't have a camera, but it seems like the leaves don't point towards the light like they do with the mh or very close to a cfl. Maybe I should try the 16w ones or maybe I should try raising the bulb some since i'm so used to getting them very close.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
high,
well back on topic... ;-)
i can say now that this 12/1 light schedule works fine with clones...
No flowering @ all and plants looking very healthy...
Never mind that it works so good... so worth to share it here...
My light schedule is 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off...
So i can confirm @ least that this works with Golden Tiger, Malawi & Zamaldelica cuttings...
Another tip for flowering lights: CMH > Ceramic Metal Halide
Recommend type: EYE Cera ARC Pro CM360/PRO/BUD for vertical and CMT360LS/EX/HOR for horizontal grow...
If you want to know how good they are look @ Tangwena's last grow
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=312401
M.:tiphat:

Mick

Veteran
I've played around with 12/1 a bit and it works great with clones and saves lots of time in flowering. I found that continually taking clones from clones under 12/i eventually reduced yield. But if you had a mother room under 18/6 and took clones from those mothers and put them under 12/1 you'd be gold. Produces the frostiest buds.

Last edited:

Terpene

Veteran
Heres a couple Ace crosses currently under the LEDs

Zamaldelica x Tom Hill Haze (Purple Thunk x White Widow) at 3 weeks in.
picture.php

(Purple Haze x Malawi) x Napalm
picture.php

LostTribe

Premium user
I need to know if anyone has run any of the ace pure sativa's in pure hydro setup or coco I prefer hydroton drip and want to see if the set up is do able with such strains. might have to ask dubi

Terpene

Veteran
I need to know if anyone has run any of the ace pure sativa's in pure hydro setup or coco I prefer hydroton drip and want to see if the set up is do able with such strains. might have to ask dubi

Technically, my irrigated buckets are hydro, but with soil. You could definitely replace the soil with coco/perlite and roll that way as well.

For a more purist hydro setup, coco is better than hydroton in my experience - but this is probably because I wasn't good enough for NFT when I attempted it years ago and the hydroton would dry out / PH fluctuations more than coco did in more recent years. Ive seen amazing DWC and recirculating system work, but that's too much rocket science for me.

Long running sativas aren't all that different than the commercial sativa hybrids you're used to already, other than the fact that they take 3-5 weeks to show flowers instead of 2. Spread your 10-12 week nutrient schedule out over a 15-16 week period and run the nutes at about 1/3rd recommended and you should be about there. :watchplant:

Heres Zamaldelica x [(Purple Thunk x White Widow) x Tom Hill Haze] at 5 weeks, just starting to put on frost. Stems and frost have a purple, mango-carrot smell when rubbed - very weird.
picture.php

picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
9 week (slightly early) chop on another Purple Haze Malawi x Napalm:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Could have waited another week, but my flowering room is turning into a forest and I needed the room.

Terpene

Veteran
7 weeks on the Zamaldelica x [(Purple Thunk x White Widow) x Tom Haze]:

picture.php

picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
Stopped by Costco and picked up a 10 pack of Feit 14w 5000k leds for $50 bucks. So now my veg armoire is complete - large veg is (10) 14w 5000k bulbs and small veg is (6) 8.5w 3000k bulbs:
picture.php

ValleyKush

Veteran
Looks good terpene. I recently went to cosco and found some 38 watt 5500k led tubes for 30 a peice (balast and bulb). 2 of them seem to be working well for my 4' x 2 1/2' veg space. Was suprised to see tubes- and at almost the same price of flourecents; times sure are changing fast, soon there will be no reason to not buy led.

Looks good terpene. I recently went to cosco and found some 38 watt 5500k led tubes for 30 a peice (balast and bulb). 2 of them seem to be working well for my 4' x 2 1/2' veg space. Was suprised to see tubes- and at almost the same price of flourecents; times sure are changing fast, soon there will be no reason to not buy led.

You got any pics valleykush?

I believe ya, but sure would help to see pics to replicate what you're doing. If you don't want to it's ok. Thanks

Going to look for these tubes at Costco.

Terpene

Veteran
Mango Carrot Zamaldelica x ([Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow] x Tom Hill Haze) at 11 weeks of 11/13 is developing a really nice purple candy - mango carrot colada smell.
picture.php

picture.php

Ace Pure Purple Haze x China Yunnan on day 2 of flower:
picture.php

For the heck of it, heres a CBD line from Med Tree Seeds, CookieTonic (Girl Scout Cookies x CannaTonic) that got the chop:
picture.php

Last edited:

Terpene

Veteran
Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a few months, been busy tending the garden and other projects around the pad. Pictures galore!

Purple Old Timers Haze x China Yunnan
picture.php

Tabula Rasa (Toci x Harlequin)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jacket (Princess Diesel x Poway '91 x Destroyer)
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
Zamaldelica x (Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow x Tom Hill Haze)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
Here's a P-91/Destroyer leaning Jacket ([P-91 x Princess Diesel] x Destroyer) at its 14 week chop. This plant spent all of flowering under five 16w screw-in LEDs.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Levitationofme

Wow, most impressive.
I was wondering how much LED was nessary
To grow these strains. Now its fairly clear.

I am growing in a 2x2x5 ft space and im using a single BD 240 LED. Im thinking it is
Plenty of light.

I am growing out some Panama.
Just started 10 or so days ago.

I went with fabric pots. I didnt want to loose grow space. Im vertically challenged. 5 gallon bucket consumes too much.

I will experiment with making a short SIP now. I can use consistency in my watering habits.

Great thread

Terpene

Veteran
Wow, most impressive.
I was wondering how much LED was nessary
To grow these strains. Now its fairly clear.

I am growing in a 2x2x5 ft space and im using a single BD 240 LED. Im thinking it is
Plenty of light.

I am growing out some Panama.
Just started 10 or so days ago.

I went with fabric pots. I didnt want to loose grow space. Im vertically challenged. 5 gallon bucket consumes too much.

I will experiment with making a short SIP now. I can use consistency in my watering habits.

Great thread

Thanks for the love. Yeah, home store LEDs put out an insane amount of light for the 5 bucks you pay for them. A 240w in a 2x2 will be more than enough light.

You should be able to build an SIP out of any two stacking containers that have space between them - this space becomes the water reservoir. Or, you can put drain tubing in the bottom of just about any container and create an SIP similar to my outdoor veggie gardens. Here's one someone did for a strawberry planter:

4933526360_d6081db6f0.jpg