What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just ordered a CBD pen for my dog

Mr.Miner

I was listening to the Adam Dunn show earlier and they mentioned maryspetshop.com as a source for cbd for animals and that they ship to all states. I am in a very un-friendly state so this news got me psyched. I went on their website and picked up a pen that dispenses 50 doses of CBD. Coincidentally the same pen is sold for human use is on their other site so I may be giving it a go as well...

Anyway I have a 13 year-old German Shepherd that is a fantastic, sweet boy. We rescued him about 3 1/2 years ago and he has a very, very serious digestive disorder called EPI and we have to be very careful about what we feed him and how. When we first got him he was 74 pounds because his lazy fucking owners wouldn't grind his food and put the medicated powder on it which helps him digest his food. Without the powder he cannot digest anything and becomes very, very ill. Needless to say he has had a very rough ride but his is a fucking fighter (like his dad- me)...So he is now a stout 115 or so, down slightly from the 125 that we plumped him up to...He also has hip dysplasia- which is very common in Shepherds, and is a serious source of pain, discomfort, and frustration for him because he has the spirit of a 3 year old, so I am going to give the CBD pen a go and see if he gets any relief from it. I am anticipating that he will...

I fucking love this dog, man. He is the most loyal dog I have ever had and I have only had him for these handful of years...The dog is such a trip. He opens up the refrigerator by himself, with ease. I captured it on my phone and it is fucking hilarious.
I love him and hope that this helps him. I want these retirement years of his to be the best of his life...Just wanted to share the info and the story....p.s. it was $50 delivered- cheap as hell.

HatchBrew

Veteran
Started my 8yr old St bernard on the CBD routine three weeks ago. Eating, sleeping and pooping like a healthy happy dog. No more groaning, less pauses getting up. Happier for his daily walk too.

Awesome you're able to take care of your dog in a non legal state!

Mr.Miner

^ That's fantastic to hear! That gives me hope, man. Thank you...and, right?! I was stunned that I was able to get it here. Let's just hope Christie doesn't find out. He may intercept it from the mailbox.

Green Squall

Good luck with your dog and kudo's for adopting a senior dog. He sounds like he is doing great. Are you giving him cosequin for his hips? That stuff works wonders.

And ya, Christie sucks! This article came out today, check it out. He REALLY hates weed. He probably smoked weed in high school, had a panic attack and shit his pants or something. I don't know why he's publicly saying all this stuff. He's turning off a lot of young republicans who support legalization.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/chris-christie-enforce-marijuana-illegal-2016-120769.html

Mr.Miner

^ Thanks very much. I am going to look into the cosequin- thanks for the suggestion...I called my vet to ask her about giving him the CBD (at the suggestion of my girlfriend- haha) and my vet knew nothing about it so I sent her the link to the website that I purchased it from.
Hopefully she is open to it and can share her new-found information to help others. It is amazing to me that we can help so many people- and pets- out just by passing along a piece of information here and there. I'll post up her response when I get one. Thanks for all of the support and suggestions.

Mr.Miner

Well she called back and sounded hesitant stating that "...there aren't enough studies, blah, blah, blah'. I respect her hesitation but I don't agree with her for not giving it a go. The dosage is tiny and he is anything but.

redlaser

Veteran
Definitely interested in how your dog responds, I need to order some. Rather produce it myself but still looking for a decent cbd strain.
The dosing seems to be trial and error though, even though the one you ordered is 1 mg per dose.
Cbd from charlottes web through the Stanley brothers is available on Amazon in 5 mg capsules and tinctures with 200mg per oz.
Dosages have to be this low as I understand it to qualify as hemp and be exempt from drug laws, supposedly these dosages wouldn't be enough to prevent seizures for example.

Mr.Miner

^ Thanks very much. When it arrives I am going to administer one dose and stay with him throughout the day to see how he responds. I will let you know, for sure...Thanks for the information on the charlottes web. I appreciate that.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
OK, maybe (no definitely) I don't know enough about vape pens, but how exactly do you administer the dose to the animal?? I have no doubt that it could be beneficial, but how does the dog ingest the dosage?? Do they actually inhale the vapor? I would think that dosage makeup aside that an edible solution would work better.

Mr.Miner

It is shaped like a pen but is more of a small roll-on type of dispenser. It is applied on the inside (but not down inside) the animals ear. I am guessing the directions chose this part of the dog because it is a highly vascular area so it would be absorbed quickly.

redlaser

Veteran
Ordered the charlottes web tincture off Amazon, tried it out on my arthritic pug that's twelve. She's got a partially collapsed trachea and a missing foot. Happy little dog with a crooked jaw and a tongue that hangs out three inches most of the time.
The dosage is suggested at 30- 40 drops four times a day for a human so I gave her five drops, she's twenty pounds.
She mostly sleeps and these days only walks where she has to which isn't far. Mostly full time incontinent as well.
Good news is she is more alert and wanting to walk further distances. I'll probably wait 12 hours before giving anymore though, hope she's not up all night over it. The alertness is pretty noticeable

Mr.Miner

^ That's fantastic to hear. I am going to pick that up that tincture after reading this so thank you...My big boy is struggling lately, especially with incontinence and his hips. Yesterday we went for our first walk in a couple of weeks and he was so, so happy. Nothing makes him happier than going for a little walk with me and his sister- a younger Shepherd- and I would love to be able to take them more often. On the walk back (it was only 2 blocks) he was having difficulty but he pushed through. He's a real fighter.

MrBungle

I know its not CBD oil or anything cool like that, but I give my dogs ground turmeric in their food with a lil EVOO or grease.. and it helps with all sorts of stuff from arthritis, to tumors, to allergies, to skin and coat! Its amazing stuff and a lot cheaper than some erl.. Not to say stop giving them the good stuff.. They deserve that just as much!

Mr.Miner

^Excellent, thanks- I appreciate that suggestion...znation- I hope your dog takes well to it. My dogs are my best friends as well. The old guy just chills and lays at my feet and the younger girl (8 year-old Shepherd) keeps a watch over us. She's the best watchdog I have ever seen...no one breaking in here. haha.

redlaser

Veteran
The turmeric sounds worth trying along with the cosequen, I think I can get better results than I'm getting with just the cbd. She's still more alert and willing to climb a three inch step now. Also started giving fish oil because it helped with inflammation on mice in a study. She's getting twelve drops of cbd instead of the seven before, possibly it helps but too minor to be sure.

mandyb

Hi I'm Mandy I live n Ireland my ten year old pittbull got cancer last year I had lump removed few months bk I found another she had biopsy n it's same cancer as last lump.she 24 kilos still hyper n eating her food I got cbd oil from Charlotte web is there anything u can recommend she such a healthy dog n very strong I just need to find the best oil out there to help her.. she don't seem to b n pain just a lump there . Please can u help me . Mandy

Wendull C.

Veteran
My best friend deteriorated so fast last month I didn't have time to try cbd. I hope your pet does well with it.

There is something special between a man and his dog. I hope most can experience that love and devotion some time in their days.

mandyb

Hi I'm Mandy I live n Ireland my ten year old pittbull got cancer last year I had lump removed few months bk I found another she had biopsy n it's same cancer as last lump.she 24 kilos still hyper n eating her food I got cbd oil from Charlotte web is there anything u can recommend she such a healthy dog n very strong I just need to find the best oil out there to help her.. she don't seem to b n pain just a lump there . Please can u help me . Mandy