What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone had any luck using lady bugs for spider mites?

tenoftrades

I am at day 43 of flower and about a week ago I noticed some spotting on my leaves:badday:. Sure enough spider mites. I added Azamax to my water right then and a today, three days later. I still see mites today and I have been spraying cold water to knock them down everyday. Today I ordered some lady bugs from my local grow store and wanted to know if anyone had any advice or experience on ladybugs vs Spider mites? All replies are much appreciated.

audiohi

Veteran
Has anyone had any luck using lady bugs for spider mites?

I used some ladybugs once. They flew right into the lights and died. Then I used azamax as a foliar spray to get rid of them.

tenoftrades

I have air cooled hoods so I they shouldn't die to quick. I use the Azamax foliar spray in Veg but I didn't think it was a good idea this late in flower.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
I will never use any chemicals on my plants, even the ones considered safe like neem. When ladybugs are present, my plants are mite free. I love that I can get them on the internet anytime I need them. They stick around as long as there is food, so it takes many applications of them throughout the season. I have used them for indoor grows a couple times, but they are a mess.

TNJed

I will never use any chemicals on my plants, even the ones considered safe like neem. When ladybugs are present, my plants are mite free. I love that I can get them on the internet anytime I need them. They stick around as long as there is food, so it takes many applications of them throughout the season. I have used them for indoor grows a couple times, but they are a mess.

Isn't neem a natural oil, extracted from plants, and not a "chemical"?

I

Indian Culture

Lady bugs don't work so well, but there are other kinds of beneficial insects that work great.

i agree, i used to swear by lady bugs, they are only good in large amounts only when you have a small mite population and that wont totally rid your garden, a heavy colony of mites will lynch the lady bugs. you want the master recipe on how to get rid of mites? get on ebay and pick up an ounce of Floramite. they sell small amounts like this for $20. then pick up a bottle of Azatrol. you spray the plants down with flora mite and add azatrol to your water at 3ml/gallon. this is the only thing i have tried and it works. forget pyrethrium bombs and no pest strips and azamax, unless you are using expensive products you have no chance

the gnome

Veteran
Ive had mites twice
I used no pest strips on em and they were DOA the next day :)
no dunking or spraying with nasty chems which is a pita anyways but even more if you have 20+ 4ft plants.

nationwide posted last week about his mite probs
he tried out NPS's, dead mite bodies everywhere is the message I got from him a
few days later :D

soooo east to use and they work like a charm and 100% kill rate if used properly

mites need to be treated with a multi pronged attack. the azatrol is systemic and kills mites 3 ways, its goes after mites reproductive system, it also tells the mites they are full so they wont eat, therefore they keel over and die, and it kills on contact. the floramite is best because it kills on contact and it also kills the eggs, thats the key in this battle. the flora mite gives you a month of protection, azatrol in the rez will be absorbed in about 10 days adding an additional month of protection, this is key when ur deep into flowering and can no longer spray, give your last application of azatrol 3-4 weeks before harvest and you will not taste anything funny at all, it is also a neem based product which makes it have a similar consistancy to regular neem oil. follow my advice and you will never see a mite, thrip or gnat ever again. 3-4 total applications from start to finish. personally azamax is cheaper than azatrol but not nearly as effective IMHO

tenoftrades

I wanted to use spider mite predators, but I would have had to wait was 4 days longer. Just hoping the ladybugs are enough to eat the small colony and get me through the next 3 - 4 weeks. Thanks for everyone's input.

I wanted to use spider mite predators, but I would have had to wait was 4 days longer. Just hoping the ladybugs are enough to eat the small colony and get me through the next 3 - 4 weeks. Thanks for everyone's input.
Spider mite predators will work but it takes a long time to build up that establishment
Ladybugs will work but you can't use a lot of other treatmants otherwise you'll kill them off too

And for the record to the guy who says he doesn't use neem oil.
That is your loss cause neem oil is probably the best preventative measure you can do to your plants against both pest and diseases.
It helps the plants ammunity and gives them a nice healthy sheen which protects them.

I wouldn't grow WITHOUT it

There are a lot of natural products that work effectively for this like cinnamon , clove, or lavender oil which don;t smell bad either
Another excellent all natural product is called mite rid which is neem oil based with ecalyptus in it

Good luck all the same:tiphat:

My ladybugs didn't know this then cause they worked great for me!!!!
Some books say that ladybugs don't eat spidermites
It 'might' be debatable BUT it absolutely certain that they eat loads of spidermite eggs.
Since the mite has such a short life span, they will eventaully die off. What keeps this infestation going is from the eggs they produce.
I had first hand experience in watching these guys do their thing with the only spidermite infestation i have ever had and purchased my ladybugs from a cannabis growing store in Canada. This guy knew I was a serious organic gardener and suggested them and I am glad i took his advice.
They are messy, lots die off but they worked great!

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
My ladybugs didn't know this then cause they worked great for me!!!!
Some books say that ladybugs don't eat spidermites
It 'might' be debatable BUT it absolutely certain that they eat loads of spidermite eggs.
Since the mite has such a short life span, they will eventaully die off. What keeps this infestation going is from the eggs they produce.
I had first hand experience in watching these guys do their thing with the only spidermite infestation i have ever had and purchased my ladybugs from a cannabis growing store in Canada. This guy knew I was a serious organic gardener and suggested them and I am glad i took his advice.
They are messy, lots die off but they worked great!

i worked at two grow stores. the reps from natures control said ladybugs dont eat spidermites, but our customers kept buying them for that purpose....
boss didn't mind, they kept coming back and buying more and more....

i agree, i used to swear by lady bugs, they are only good in large amounts only when you have a small mite population and that wont totally rid your garden, a heavy colony of mites will lynch the lady bugs. you want the master recipe on how to get rid of mites? get on ebay and pick up an ounce of Floramite. they sell small amounts like this for $20. then pick up a bottle of Azatrol. you spray the plants down with flora mite and add azatrol to your water at 3ml/gallon. this is the only thing i have tried and it works. forget pyrethrium bombs and no pest strips and azamax, unless you are using expensive products you have no chance

For someone who has tried only one thing "this is the only thing i have tried and it works", you sure have a lot of opinions. :biglaugh:

If you spray diluted coke onto your ladybugs before you release them, it will keep them from flying away but they will still be able to hop around and eat everything

For someone who has tried only one thing "this is the only thing i have tried and it works", you sure have a lot of opinions. :biglaugh:

If you spray diluted coke onto your ladybugs before you release them, it will keep them from flying away but they will still be able to hop around and eat everything

dude what i meant was it was the ONLY thing that worked for me, i tried them all, i am sorry for the misrepresentation, i used all the insectisidal soap, neem, dont bug me by fox farm, rotenone pyrethrium concentrate. i have a whole cabinet full of these products and the only combo that works perfectly is floramite and azatrol. i use it in rotation and as a combo cus a highly repsected member told me about it . again forgive me please for not being specific

F. Dupp

Veteran
Predatory mites and lady bugs are a complete fucking waste of time and money. Get some Forbid and Floramite.

i worked at two grow stores. the reps from natures control said ladybugs dont eat spidermites, but our customers kept buying them for that purpose....
boss didn't mind, they kept coming back and buying more and more....
So are you suggesting all the customers were dumb including me?:dunno:

captianchronic

Ladybugs eat soft bodied bugs.

http://www.ladybuglady.com
Ladybugs eat Aphids. Aphids are soft bodied insects that suck the juices out of plants. If you have roses in your garden, you have seen aphids. Aphids also come in a variety of colors and not all ladybugs like all the "flavors" of aphids. Ladybugs will also feed on scale insects and plant mites.

Lady bugs will eat young mites and larva. Like predatory mites they will not eat all mites.

Latest posts

Latest posts