What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't you make your own PK 13/14?

Hey everybody-

I was just looking at this page right here and read the following statement about b'cuzz pk 13/14:

"Derived from Phosphoric Acid and Potassium Hydroxide with a PPM of 700 – 1400. Use 1.5 mL per Liter SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING."

My bottles of PH up and Down just happen to be the exact same components as this. It seems as though PH up and down are readily available as I always have a gallon of each around. I'm sure I can get some distilled water that is perfect 0 ppm and mix my own if it needs diluting. Would it not be possible to mix my own PK 13/14 using PH up and down?

:dance013:

Bozo

I dont know the answer but I do know ph up and ph down dont mix well if you try I would dilute them first

highonmt

Veteran
Yes you can make pk 13/14 by titration of phosphoric acid with potassium hydroxide. The problem is determining the concentration of acid and base in your solutions in order to come out with the correct ratio of P:K. You could also use monopotasium phosphate solution ( k-phos) P:K ratio = 4.3 : 3 and add KOH solution of known concentration to get to a 13:14 ratio (.93:1). Hope this is clearer than mud to you. Good luck

Oh yes, titration. Something to look up, learn, explore and test. Thanks! That kind of scientific term was exactly what I needed. If I discover a way to do this, I will be sure to post back.

Although I'm still holding out that somebody has done this already. I figure this way, a bottle of PK 13/14 is pretty cheap, so most people wont/have not but information being available on HOW TO is probably good knowledge.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Dipotassium Phosphate

The pH of a dipotassium phosphate solution is almost neutral. It is formed by the stoichiometric neutralization of phosphoric acid with potassium hydroxide:

H3PO4 + 2 KOH →K2HPO4 + 2 H2O

Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) contains the equivalent of 52% P2O5 and 34% K2O, and is labeled 0-52-34.

Tripotassium phosphate (K3PO4).... its proportions of N, P2O5, and K2O are 0-33-67

Dipotassium phosphate (K2HPO4)... Im too high, you do the math.

Found some interesting information online thanks to titration searches:

In an acid base titration 15.0 mL of phosphoric acid is neutralized by 23.5 mL of 0.275M Potassium Hydroxide solution. Whats the concentration of the Phosphoric acid?

H3PO4 + 3KOH --------> 3H20 + K3PO4

thus, it takes 3 mols of KOH to nutralize 1 mol of H3PO4

23.5/1000= .0235 L
.0235*.275= .00646 mols of KOH

.00646 / 3 = .00215 mols of H3PO4

then we find the molarity

15.0 / 1000= .015 L

.00215/.015= .143 M

:)

Epod

hi i used to use pk 13/14 for years y mess when its not dear to buy and kill your crop if u got it all wrong but i have found a much better pk to use the resualts far out way 13/14 i have so picks have a look over the 3 weeks it used in the flowering time

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Epod

in three week it alot of driffenc and then u get at least 1 third more weed back at the end

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
Their derived from statement is fucked, I wouldn't try mixing pure or even dilluted phosphoric acid and potassium hydroxide, somebody probably fucked up the label or they're leaving a ton of information off (which they can do)

There is a subforum on Icmag somewhere that had a pk recipe as well.

Here are some other random pK boosters derived from statements to give you a better idea of what's in a PK booster typically

Humboldt Ginormous:
Derived from: Ammonium phosphate and potassium phosphite.

GH Kool Bloom Liquid:
Derived from:
Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium
Phosphate, Potassium Sulphate.

TechnaFlora Awesome Blossoms:
Derived From: Ammonium Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Diphosphoric Acid, Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, Iron DTPA, Iron EDTA, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate.

Fox Farm Beastie Bloomz:
Derived from: Mono Potassium Phosphate, Iron EDTA, Manganese EDTA, Zinc EDTA, Copper EDTA, Chelating Agent, Disodium Ethylenediamine Tetra Acetate (EDTA), Sodium Borate, Sodium Molybdate, and Kelp. Also contains non-plant food ingredients: Humic Acid (derived from Leonardite) 1.5%.

with such conflicting posts its hard not to just succumb to marketing pressure and laziness. id MUCH prefer to make my own, especially if its easy

Latest posts

Latest posts