What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The little things add up. Boosting your yield beyond 1g/watt

Balazar

It's so cold where I am right now that I can put my air cooled hood 6" from the tips of the plants and not burn them. I have it about 8" to 10" away to project the proper footprint though. I have Radiant 8 hoods and they have hinged glass with spring loaded thumb screws that are super easy to undo. I clean the glass in one hood every night in an alternating pattern so I get around to all of them without having to spend a hour cleaning hoods. I also have an air box with a furnace filter in it for all incoming air. I change the filter once a month or so. This keeps bugs from being sucked through my lights and it also keeps a lot of dust and hair and other particles out of the air so the hoods don't get dirty nearly as fast. It's a little extra work every night but it's working for me. Cool tubes are a whole different story though. Those bastards are so hard to clean.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
this thread is mostly about light bulbs and reflectors... there is much more to it then that... many more LITTLE THINGS then that....

im with dongle.. i want to see the pics from the guy who is claiming the 4lbs per 2k...

Balazar

Some flower action.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=9551&pictureid=243692
picture.php

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=9551&pictureid=243698
picture.php

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=9551&pictureid=243693
picture.php

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=9551&pictureid=243694
picture.php

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=9551&pictureid=243695
picture.php

this thread is mostly about light bulbs and reflectors... there is much more to it then that... many more LITTLE THINGS then that....

im with dongle.. i want to see the pics from the guy who is claiming the 4lbs per 2k...
That would actually be a little under 1 gpw. Completely doable. I've done it, I've seen many other grows do it.
Now 4lb off of 1kw I have never seen. Maybe he is weighing his wet yield right off the plant.

otherwise, I call shenanigans.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
That would actually be a little under 1 gpw. Completely doable. I've done it, I've seen many other grows do it.
Now 4lb off of 1kw I have never seen. Maybe he is weighing his wet yield right off the plant.

otherwise, I call shenanigans.

yeah it was a typographical error...

Balazar

New strain here its called sweet pineapple. superultramega is correct about wet yield. I calculate that way cause I don't harvest all at once. Just whats ready and leave the rest until it is. This draws out harvest time and can be a bit confusing on overall yield cause some of the buds are gone before I even harvest the last of the plants. I am trying to come up with a formula that includes time. Dried GPW/Days in flower? If that is the case I am estimating about 1.07 GPW @ 63 daze in flower. This turn from the pics will probably be less through cause I burned these girls slightly but they have recovered well. Still trying to dial in this new strain. No CO2 in this grow yet.

Please ask questions leave comments and constructive criticism. I started looking at this thread to pick up some tips and make friends not to be the big talker so there you have it.

I've pulled 2 lbs per 1000 w on a number of occasions. Everything has to go perfect for me to do it, and I have to be growing the right strain. Last time I did I was growing the local Blueberry aka Boulderberry, pulled 2 lbs, 3 oz, off 1000 w....

I do DWC. Just plain, not recirculating. Lots of air! 2l per bucket.

Here's my current Grape Ape girls, at day 25... they might get close. I'll post the roots, too.... their health is extremely important!
Oh, I keep my CO2 above 1000 ppm. That helps, too!

Attachments

• roots25.jpg
    roots25.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BBghouse3
    BBghouse3
    144.5 KB · Views: 35
H

HappyDog

Bud Spleefman, those roots look great. I've been considering going back to buckets. The good connectors wern't available when i tried it last time, 1999, so i called it the "continuous leak system". Great yields but what a pita it was at the time.

H

HappyDog

Clones are not free. I risk my time, money and freedom for each and every one.
Maybe when prohibition ends they will seem a little more like free, Until then it's still risk vs reward.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really good thread, many intelligent posts! I personally smashed the 1gpw barrier back in the late 70's with many 2.5lb+ crops under single 1k MH. I didn't mention it publically for years because it always got people calling me a lair, and I suffer from serious ADD when I smell an argument.

"The best thing I have heard in this thread is to always concentrate on the weakest link, rather it be nutes, genetics, lighting, temp's,RH, ect., ect. Thats how its done." Agreed. What is needed is a flowchart of sorts, a hierarchy of causes and effects.

I propose that the first three elements are; Light, Water and Rootspace/health. Light is the main input. Shine enough light on a plant and you need more of the next in line, Water. Give enough Light and Water and you'll soon need more space for Roots. I suppose that we could start thinking about nutrients at this point, but it can be seen that nute delivery depends heavily on all three that come before. When you start thinking about this hierarchy, it becomes apparent that the efficiency of light transfer from the bulb to the leaf is the main 'combustion engine' of growing. Observed differences between hydro and organic/container have mostly to do with greater availability of the second element, Water, for hydro setups. Container growers like VerdantGreen who get massive yields have mastered the high kungfu of watering, not nutrient management.

The two big 'money moves' in cultivation are PP and PJJ. Plant Placement and Plant Jiu-Jitsu. When you're down on your knees moving plants into better position and bending them to get more light, you're making money. Don't make the mistake of thinking these techniques are simple, they take years to perfect. In addition to achieving optimum lighting distances, plants have certain distances from each other that makes them grow fastest. I call it the 'smelling room'. They like to be just close enough to exchange gasses and to shade each other just a teensy bit. The right distance makes them compete, and the result is you win.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great post mr G - and thanks for the props :)

agreed on everything you say - i would add one thing that kind of goes without saying

environment - you need to get that right and stable before you even think about anything else - that is the foundation that everything you mention is built upon. good temps, air movement and airchange, and to a slightly lesser extent humidity.

temp wise your soil wants to be within 65-70 ideally, and if your air is cold keeping the soil warm can allow you to get away with colder air.

air temps (with no co2 ) ideally want to be 72-78 daytime and your nightime temps ideally should stay above 60, with no more than a 15 degree drop between day and night.

of course mj is a forgiving plant so you can get away with quite a lot - some strains can be happy higher or lower but its good to aim for ideal.

cheers

V.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
Air exchange is also really important to a high yield harvest...

I would list the most important things to increase yield being

1) Light

2) Air Exchange/ Proper temperature

3) Overall space given to each plant ( to maximize growth)

4) Watering and feeding when needed( not over or under feeding)

5) Enough Co2 available

TriIron

As for the minisplit question earlier about them working in the winter, Klimaire makes a unit that works no problem for me, and I've seen temps down to 5F.

Latest posts

Latest posts