What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have grown much more then 1 acre of FINOLA. If you have to test even 1 acre of FINOLA to find one that might have high CBD, it will cost a hell of a lot. GC analysis is in the range of $100 per test, so to test the thousands of plants of FINOLA in an acre is un-do-able. Even at $10 a test it is un-do-able to 10,000's of plants. I am an old friend of Jace's, I gave him the advice to breed FINOLA. FINOLA is not a good source of CBD because of the small CBD content, and the THC levels in an extract will be 1-5% or more requiring clean up via HPLC. Say the extract is 50% CBD & 5% THC.
I understand the reasons why people are so desperate if they believe CBD could help them or a loved one. But finding the clones of plants confirmed to have CBD might be easier, maybe. Try Harborside if they say no then you have to find or make one, and then confirm it is high CBD. Smoking does not work for CBD analysis, as CBD does not get you stoned, but THC/CBD varieties do. And terpenoids can change the effects of THC to almost mimic CBD.
-SamS

Like i said can have but its a needle in a haystack.You have to grow at least 1 acre of this variety to find one, but it is possible.The variety is still under probation in Canada & Europe, because of exceeding the 0.2% THC once a while.

http://www.finola.com/Finola%20THC%20and%20EU%20regs.pdf

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am sorry but I don't publish my results very much as it is a lot of extra work and often I am using the results to do additional work that I prefer to finish before I announce the initial results. Dr Russo and others like the paper above will have to be a starting point for people who are searching for a particular cannabinoid to help a specific illness. But then the problem is how to obtain the cannabinoid as all cannabinoids are illegal in the USA even if not psychoactive. Funny the only legal one is THC in MARINOL.
-SamS

I remember all the testing you were doing a few years back and seperating all the components of cannabis, any links to your finding Sam?

As I remember (I'm a stoner), you did testing with each component and found one to give headaches and others to work on menstrual cramps and others to work on different ailments. Was there any strains tested on Autism?

I am sorry but I don't publish my results very much as it is a lot of extra work and often I am using the results to do additional work that I prefer to finish before I announce the initial results. Dr Russo and others like the paper above will have to be a starting point for people who are searching for a particular cannabinoid to help a specific illness. But then the problem is how to obtain the cannabinoid as all cannabinoids are illegal in the USA even if not psychoactive. Funny the only legal one is THC in MARINOL.
-SamS

I was really hoping you could help,

I am a legal patient in Michigan and I can have 2.5 oz of usable Marihuana. That also includes extracts as far as hashish and oil. (the way the state spells it) . So if I have it all separated and not in usable form to the health department, I can have unlimited amount of seeds, stems and leaves :) , I would think I could also have unlimited amounts of the non psychotropic cannabiniods . We will see in the court system soon I would believe.

But the best part is I can be a caregiver for up to 5 other patients that can't or don't want to grow. I can have 12 plants for myself, 12 plants for each patient and 2.5 oz of usable mj for each one with having 2.5 of their own . That gives me a total of 72 plants to care for and I would believe with that I could help out in the the overall testing of this plant. It is not on a commercial level but it is still testing and proving to the people of earth that we need this plant legal with out restriction.

So if you do find any links that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
HC

danut

Industrial hemp is a poor source of CBD in fact. GW Pharmaceuticals makes CBD from a plant that gives close to 10% CBD by dry weight with little to no THC. Hemp is closer to 1% CBD and does have THC which needs to be removed via HPLC. I don't think extracting CBD from a 1% raw material source makes any sense when 10% materials are used for the same thing. Sure it can be done, but not cheaply or competitively. If you wanted to extract CBD which would you use?
-SamS
What would I use? The one that was available to work with.

Where is one of those 10% strains? How much do they cost?
Yep .. I know .. GW has them. I just have to wait.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
No I have no advice for anyone other then to say that imported Afghan seeds, direct from Afghanistan are usually 25% high CBD, 25% high THC, and 50% a mixture of THC/CBD.

If I grow out a batch of these seeds,is it unreasonable to presume that I have one of the high CBD plants if it doesn't have any psychoactive effect, also assuming that some of its sisters do have a THC effect? Yes, need to verify with testing but I'd like to keep the costs down.

E

elmanito

FINOLA is not a good source of CBD because of the small CBD content, and the THC levels in an extract will be 1-5% or more requiring clean up via HPLC. Say the extract is 50% CBD & 5% THC.
I understand the reasons why people are so desperate if they believe CBD could help them or a loved one. But finding the clones of plants confirmed to have CBD might be easier, maybe. Try Harborside if they say no then you have to find or make one, and then confirm it is high CBD. Smoking does not work for CBD analysis, as CBD does not get you stoned, but THC/CBD varieties do. And terpenoids can change the effects of THC to almost mimic CBD.
-SamS

If Finola is not a good source for CBD, what about Lebanese strains or Kullu Manali / Parvati?I don't wanna clean up THC by HPLC, since i believe you need the THC.Harborside is not an option since they don't even answer the email i have send twice to them about the strain they have found with 5.8% CBD.
I agree that certain terpenoids can change the effect of THC.

E

elmanito

HPLC means High Pressure Liquid Chromatography.You can use it to get rid of some constituents which you dont wanna have.

danut

HPLC means High Pressure Liquid Chromatography.You can use it to get rid of some constituents which you dont wanna have.
LOL

I used to work in a Dow chem. lab. We had a HPGC machine there we used all the time.

My wife works in a blood lab at a local hospital. I just tried this out on her also.

"Hey honey, what does HP stand for? You know, for a chromatography machine?"
"Hewlett Packard. why?"

LOL OK .. high pressure, not the computer company.

veta

Anyone interested in testing their strains should contact me at tortalk@gmail.com We are opening a analytical lab in colorado as we speak. We will be able to test for THC/THC-COOH/CBD/CBN/ and maybe CBG if we get the standard in soon. Eventually we will add CBC too. We are using HPLC. If any one wants to discuss/compare HPLC vs GC/MS we could start another thread.

We are working with resellers for the tests and should be able to accept samples from all over the country through them. Costs will be about 50$. Our web site should be up friday. We are hoping to start accepting public samples on oct 15.

veta

danut

Anyone interested in testing their strains should contact me at tortalk@gmail.com We are opening a analytical lab in colorado as we speak. We will be able to test for THC/THC-COOH/CBD/CBN/ and maybe CBG if we get the standard in soon. Eventually we will add CBC too. We are using HPLC. If any one wants to discuss/compare HPLC vs GC/MS we could start another thread.

We are working with resellers for the tests and should be able to accept samples from all over the country through them. Costs will be about 50$. Our web site should be up friday. We are hoping to start accepting public samples on oct 15.

veta
Check your e-mail

danut aka peanutbutter

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/user/90/track

Member number 90 of over 6500 members.

G

guest123

Out of curiosity, i happen to have some column setups, can column chromatography wihout inert gas get decent seperation for some in vivo runups?

danut

Out of curiosity, i happen to have some column setups, can inert gas column chromatography get decent seperation for some in vivo runups?
Like he said. This is a major topic and should have another thread started for that purpose.

G

guest123

Like he said. This is a major topic and should have another thread started for that purpose.

Sorry, i meant to say without inert gas... in other words old fashioned column chromatography.

veta

where should we start the thread? the board has a lot of sub boards, just want to put it int the right place.

veta

jim dankness

does anyone know how Harborside's cannabinoid tests work? do they only test for THC, THC & CBD, or give you a breakdown of the levels of all (or most) major cannabinoids?

i'm cultivating a selection from recently imported Lebanese seeds. while the plant forms decently sized flowers and has fair trichome coverage, it's 'high' is not much of a high at all-- instead it gives a feeling somewhere in between an ice cream 'brain freeze' and novocaine to the brain. it's led me to wonder if i've happened upon a plant with a decent CBD ratio.

veta

Harborside is only doing THC/CBD/CBN they are using GC/MS, and they will never be able to report the acid variants of the cannabinoids, like THC-COOH. The claim to charge 100$, but they are very hard to get a hold of. MY feeling is that they are really there just to test their own dispensaries material, but I could be wrong. I give them alot of credit for for getting int to the testing field early on.

veta

E

elmanito

For identification if your strain does containCBD you can better use the TLC-method

picture.php