What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EM1 - effective microbial....anyone use it?

InjectTruth

re-posted to make the meat and potatoes more accessible

EM/BAM: this a trade secret!(lactobacillus culture)

1/4 cup rice

1quart Mason Jar

1 cup water

1 fine mesh strainer

80 oz milk depends on how much one is making

1 gallon container or jar

1 tsp. black-strap molasses

Procedure:

1. Place rice and cup of water in mason jar and shake vigorously until water is cloudy white, strain off rice kernels and discard into tour compost bin or cook for dinner. I have heard of the Japanese adding a dash of nato to help ferment but not needed.

2. place cap on loosely and store in a cabinet or cool dark place for 5-7 days.

3. Sift off top layer and strain liquid (serum)

4. measure your rice liquid and now add a ratio of 1 part fermented rice to 10 parts milk, I would culture in a 1 gallon jar. let sit for 5-7 days.

5. sift off curd settlement and add to your soil or feed your animals it is good for their digestion, then there should be a light yellow serum left this is your EM serum.

6. Add 1 tsp molasses to feed and keep your bacteria alive and refrigerate. should have a shelf life of 6-12 months.

7. to activate EM activities and to room temperature non-chlorinated water at a ratio of 1 part Serum to 20 parts water.

8. feed to plants either straight into soil or follicular feeding.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is actually more appropriate to call ^^ IM (indigenous microorganisms) or LAB

EM is a trademarked brand

S

SeaMaiden

Inject, *that's* something I think I can pull off. Just to clarify, is that 80 oz of milk (as in eight zero)? Or was it a typo?

Being on an engineered septic system that utilizes a gigantic sand filter (it's what our two big raised veggie beds sit on), this is even more helpful and would allow us to stop using the store-bought products.

InjectTruth

SeaMaiden, I believe it should say "Up to 80 oz" since it says in the procedure use 1 part fermented rice wash to 10 parts milk.

It works wonders. I originally came across it when looking for a DIY replacement for Voodoo Juice. Glad to help!

intothemystic

I just started my first EM mother culture tea, I added 5 gal water, few tbs high nitrogen ap bat guano, eath juice microblast, and catalyst, which has kelp molasses etc... and a couple tbs of EM. I tried to figure out the AEM content and feel like I may have made a super concentrate after the microbes bloom. Can anyone give me a simple answer and a simple procedure for a standard EM brew. Also in regards to microbemans post can I brew the tea without heat in say a 70 degree environment. if so should it brew longer than a week?

this is my first post on ICMAG and any help would be grately appreciated

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just started my first EM mother culture tea, I added 5 gal water, few tbs high nitrogen ap bat guano, eath juice microblast, and catalyst, which has kelp molasses etc... and a couple tbs of EM. I tried to figure out the AEM content and feel like I may have made a super concentrate after the microbes bloom. Can anyone give me a simple answer and a simple procedure for a standard EM brew. Also in regards to microbemans post can I brew the tea without heat in say a 70 degree environment. if so should it brew longer than a week?

this is my first post on ICMAG and any help would be grately appreciated

As previously posted in this thread.

The instructions for extending/fermenting is all the same thing. You don't need to add the fancy stuff; just 1 part EM: one part black strap molasses; 20 parts warm non-chlorinated water kept at around 100 degrees for 3 to 60 days or more. For ag use 5 to 7 days works well. pH must drop below 3.8.

Some people ferment at room temperature or near a warm source. You can tell it is ready when the pH goes down.

intothemystic

thank you for the quick reply and info Microbeman. These forums can be a little overwhelming at first. I realize there is much to read in regard to this field and will try to do so instead of just blindly asking questions.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking back to EM-1..

I am going back into organic, well half organic , half salt..

so I was remembering the Em-1. I remember I used it on some snapdragons I had, and it made the peat all spongy and springy like...

also I once added it into my laundry ( not sure why , don't ask ) and my clothes came out like they were a perfectly worn favorite shirt.. was very interesting that whatever was in it works that quick in one wash cycle to do that...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Well if that is allowed, here are some far better instructions;

https://logicalgardener.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=122

Hey Microbeman, have a question. I made my LAB using the recipe posted by InjectTruth and I'm just wondering if I need to start over with a new batch since once I strained out the serum, I sealed it in a jar and put it in the fridge. My question is...does refrigerating the serum make it not work as effectively or can I just take it out of the fridge and do the fermentation technique you describe?

Thanks in advance.

HB.

self

How about mixing serenade ( l. Subtilis) and aem? I should be able to spray them together, right?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Microbeman, have a question. I made my LAB using the recipe posted by InjectTruth and I'm just wondering if I need to start over with a new batch since once I strained out the serum, I sealed it in a jar and put it in the fridge. My question is...does refrigerating the serum make it not work as effectively or can I just take it out of the fridge and do the fermentation technique you describe?

Thanks in advance.

HB.

What I describe is for fermenting EM microorganisms (a specific grouping) of which lactobacillus is only one species represented. For my fermentation method phototrophic bacteria (e.g. PNSBs) are included in the consortium.

Bongstar420

They sell yogurt with a shit ton of lactobacilli...same species that are in em.

The photrophic bacteria is the only thing special about this product. For LAB ferments, I straight dump yougurt in an open bin and get straight sour smelling ferment in a week. I have done subs that almost always smell the same with no inoculation. I got a ferment that always smells like bananas and yeasty fruits- no inoculant

Selective subs

Latest posts

Latest posts