What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Preventing nanas

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I would be willing to bet..... the type hermie found in feminized seeds will be almost always the bananas type....
They're the same flower. The reason it looks like a banana is because the female flower is pressing around it.

Yes, hermie plants also grow balls at bud sites, depending on the level/type of hermie it is and what triggered it to form. Light leak sensitive plants will grow balls, when the light is shining on junctions and not the flowers.

Clones from pH sensitive mums will grow perfectly, grow after grow(nanner free), unless the pH becomes wrong for a few days. Be sure to stress every aspect, before breeding with a particular plant. Canna-Tsu, the cut I have, is like this. Perfect runs unless you let the pH get out of the healthy range.

:tiphat:

Betterhaff

Veteran
They're the same flower. The reason it looks like a banana is because the female flower is pressing around it.
Not so sure about that. To me, naners are basically lone anthers, coming out of the calyx. If it were a complete male flower, scrunched, there probably would be numerous anthers (although I have seen numerous anthers coming out of the same calyx).

Open the link to the paper seeded posted (below “Coffee did it’s job”) and click thumbnails, the plate with figures is the unnumbered one near the bottom, click that. It shows all kinds of crazy flower configurations.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Let me toss this on the table.

Late last year I did a big seed run (11 strains with 124 seeds), all were regular seeds and netted 55 females (about what I expected).

Of the 55 females, all but 20 hermied after 12/12 flip at various times. The earliest showed nanners during the first week--the latest was day 63; most were identifiable between days 18 and 24.

The nanners were at various locations--some were hidden just under the "dandelion" flower formation, some formed at the lower internodes, and some were inside the bud. Funny thing was 2 of the plants showed female preflowers about a month or so after germination (that is how I sex my plants--100% accuracy this round) and just before I was going to flip her (2 month veg time--nice bush too), every potential bud site had a fat fucking nanner hanging--ready to open.

I germinated the seeds, I got the plant started, I then shared the genetics with my partner (who bought the seeds--some super rare). So both of us were running the same 55 (alleged) females and both of us got the same results (almost). The reason why I mention this--is we have two completely different systems and environment setups--and if one of the environments were more "stressful" than other, then we should get different results. With the exception of 2 plants, we both got identical results (I say we have 20 "non-herms" and he says we have 22 "non-herms").

Now...5 years ago I did a 150+ seedrun and got 12 herms (basically similar setup that I have today...almost). Hmmmm, 124 seedrun and 35 herms, 150 seedrun and 12 herms, I say lazy pollen chuckers are to blame here.

Bless you Douglas for stress testing your harem--wish that was the standard for all pollen chuckers!

Last edited:

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sour Diesel is a hermie prone strain and people say the chems are also. I know from my own experience a certain percentage of Sour Diesel plants will have some late naners.

What nobody here has touched on is the plants maturity at start of flowering. I don't get hermies because I grow big mature plants. If you look at a cannabis plant outdoors in nature it is a large plant. Not 1 or 2 feet tall.

St. Phatty

Once I had just moved and didn't have access to a lot of seeds.

Among the Mexican press-brick seedy Mersh that I did have access to, one of the best plants resin-wise was a straight up hermy.

The only thing worse than nana's is ... no resiny pot at all !

I had a choice between cleaning seeds out of the more resiny hermy, or the less resinous Sativa (in that batch).

The Resiny Hermy was quite welcome to smoke for about 3 months. :woohoo:

Latest posts

Latest posts