What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

`

Dokomo

after two runs with a dimlux 630 cmh and amnesia haze,

first with 3k 3090 kelvin seems to have a double blue
second with 3k agro 3090 kelvin with a double red part
i can say the agros stretch a little bit more
the use of this bulb colours while vegitation is no problem, no need to buy two bulb colour sets.

visit my report

White Beard

There’s a bout a zillion folks on here using the Philips 930 3100k bulb. Many report that they are fine with using the one bulb for both phases, have seen few complaints if any.

Check Rives’ thread on CMH - there’s a link in my sig. It’s a real education, and just what you’re asking for.

Mengsk

Around the time Home-Grown posted this there were some T9 bulbs available on Amazon for under $40 or around half price. Mention of too many specifics does not always feel the best especially when vendors are present on this forum and technology keeps changing. If CMH bulbs were created in recent years I would rather purchase remaining stock of the oldest inventory for a reduced price compared to newer produced bulbs. In other words I want the old generic version of the CMH bulb instead of the expensive horilux brand or the latest and greatest spectrum from this month or this year. No need for anyone to feel particularly offended ripped off or left out, the newest release from this month will always claim to have the best technology and will carry a marked up price tag. The 1-2 year old models of phones cars electronics etc can often be found for a discount. It always stings to pay $500 for a new fixture and find out in a couple years the price has gone down by half or more. Yet how often has this happened to all of us. In 2018 many fixtures used in larger operations are integrated. For my personal use remote ballasts and/or separate vented hoods are suitable. LEC 315w ballasts are available in both low frequency dimmable digital form with remote and network capability and analog magnetic coil form. I'm not sure of the comparison lifespan efficiency etc of digital or magnetic in this case. My 2c is this can also be applied to the different wattage bulbs. If the 315w works or if it was designed for growing, before the others, maybe that unit of power is good to use. Instead of thinking it is better to go 630w, 500w or 1000w CMH, perhaps I can accept 315w as a standard unit of light for my grow. One bulb every 3 feet instead of one double end 1000w every 5 feet. Or whatever the case may be. The spectrum can go from a 1 watt LED light or a 13 watt LED bulb all the way up to a 5,000 watt arc lamp. Instead of 1000w I may try 315w - there is some cost analysis with comparing 3 bulbs vs 1, and comparing the power consumption cost of either. Concisely I am not sure whether the flower yield from 3 evenly spaced 315w is the same as 1 945 or 1000w. I think I mentioned this in a previous post but my goal in an ideal scenario (which may not be realistic or perhaps not the best) is to have plants surrounding the lights nearly creating a dark room. Plants surrounding the lights instead of lights surrounding the plants. If I place a 1000w HPS right over the top of a single plant I know that the plant will perform well and make big buds. But what if I surround the bulb with as many plants as possible. The single bud might not be as big or as nice but how does the overall thc amount or bud weight over time for the whole grow compare? Is it better to use all of your light and have some leafy less potent product or to supply an overabundance of light skipping the "larf" altogether?

Last edited:

Mengsk

One thing I realize about the UV warning is these lamps are bright. Many of us understand not to look directly at a light bulb or the sun, common sense. Look both ways before you cross the street, similar. However these CMH lamps are very bright from a small round gas filled tube different from the long cylinder of a sodium lamp. The brightness intensity is greater than an incandescent fluorescent LED or high pressure sodium bulb. Instead more comparable to an arc welder or bright sunlight. Caution to any users do not look at the bulb and wear sunglasses maybe even long sleeves in the grow area. Fortunately I do not feel I have eye damage from welding arcs, light bulbs or the sun and furthermore the eye may regenerate cells and heal. With that said caution is advised, I can see why the UV warnings exist along with the reflector designs.