What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Never seen before issue on 60 + plants

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
Hi. I been growing for over 6 years and thought I saw everything. But I was wrong.
I got some Mendo Breath rooted cuts.
Set them into 4x4 rockwool. They grow beautifully.
However all 60 of them started developing a rot ring Aron’s the base of main stem. As I said, they grow very nice (see pic) BUT
I am puzzled and don’t know what to expect.
Should I proceed moving them into 6x6 and flipping 12/12 or should I look for other cuts.
Thank you

Attachments

• FC937205-1653-4BC9-A5FD-FAC8B04D7E2E.jpg
    FC937205-1653-4BC9-A5FD-FAC8B04D7E2E.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 20

troutman

Seed Whore
Increase air movement at ground level for starters. :tiphat:

I wonder if misting with a 0.1% solution of hydrogen peroxide would fry that stuff?

I you try the hydrogen peroxide idea do just one or two plants to see how they react. :comfort:

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Although I have ton of air blowing around, I’ll see what I can improve.
Will try HP as well.
Is it some sort of inherited rot?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If all of your gals look like that I’d be willing to bet that they’ all succumb to whatever that crap is. As far as I’ve experienced, any time your stem is completely girded (bark layer removed around the circumference if the stem), the remainder of the plant will starve to death.
If I were in your situation, I’d start over.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Good advice.
I invested so much in them by now, I want to see it to ether death or week 9 of bloom.
Otherwise, there is no learning. Right?

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
And other thing. They are about 12-15 inches and look so vigorous and healthy, it’s hard to imagine they can starve.
The stem in the “damaged” area is surprisingly hard. I will try to stop it with HP.

Cork144

air layer the healthy stem, get it rooted up, trim back a bit of top growth once rooted in the airlayer and then cut blow, goodluck with the battle sir,

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Yeah... That isnt looking good.
I've had that happen outdoors.
The plants die a long slow death.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you get the chance, would you please post some highly detailed close ups of the damage? Full white lighting for correct color would be awesome.

If this is something new, it's best to get full documentation on it as quickly as possible.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro.....That looks to be fusarium/stem rot , and the cause probably came from those rooting plugs staying wetter than the rockwool cubes between feeds and never drying sufficiently , thus the girdling effect.....and hey.....

I assure you they`ll look perfectly healthy , but outta nowhere they`ll also fall over dead in a day , had a whole patch of tomatoes die in a couple days time one yr when it was raining every day so beware …..especially since it`s all 60 plantlets.....now....Could be your flood level`s too high when they`re fed and that`s why the stems are girdling from sitting in feed juice too long every feed , so.....things to ponder....and.....

Issack over in the grow diaries section had the same problem but with just a few plants and someone told him to spray a weak bleach solution and he saved his plants by doing just that , so go check out his 8K Coco Grow thread and you`ll find out about that solution to know how much to dilute the bleach....but.....

Finding the cause is as important as trying to save the crop so good luck and.....

Peace......DHF.....:ying:

Nico Farmer

Happening to me also outdoor. Slow dead is just right. I try everything few different fungicides nothing stop the plague.

yes me too, but indoor in hydro, too much moisture at the base of the trunk, we can see that top cubes is very green.
I think it is a kind of parasitic fungus.

and 6 years is not a very long time ;)

big up

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Ok. I will have to discard and recuperate my losses.
One more question though.
They are still beautiful and full of life. Very clean too.
Can I at least cut clones out of better ones. This would at least help me not to spend more $

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Warm reserviour/feed water temps can allow fungal/rot issues to show up as well since its affecting them all. I doubt thats the issue though because your plants roots and leaves would be showing signs of distress.

I agree with DunHav`nFun that the top layer of the rockwool/base of stalk is staying to wet. When i ran rockwool i stuck the feed lines into the rockwool cubes to keep the top layer dry.

The bleach spray is 100ml bleach to 900ml water, Mushroombrew is the one who suggested it to issack. I used it last year on an outdoor plant and it halted the progression, but i caught it early.

DunHav`nFun

Never take cuts from infected plants....and even if you have the room to keep and try to save em with the bleach solution , that stemrot fungus shit`s nasty and I`m not sure the plants would ever be 100% , so taking cuts from unhealthy plants is no Bueno IME bro.....so....if they were mine I`d......

Kill em all and start over , but sterilize the fuck outta everything cuz that shit can spread....or..... isolate em and try and bring em back if you have room.......anyways.....Good luck and...…

Peace.....DHF....:ying:

Cork144

Never take cuts from infected plants....and even if you have the room to keep and try to save em with the bleach solution , that stemrot fungus shit`s nasty and I`m not sure the plants would ever be 100% , so taking cuts from unhealthy plants is no Bueno IME bro.....so....if they were mine I`d......

Kill em all and start over , but sterilize the fuck outta everything cuz that shit can spread....or..... isolate em and try and bring em back if you have room.......anyways.....Good luck and...…

Peace.....DHF....:ying:
while I wouldnt recommend running clones, if this is from damping off due to the puck in the rockwool, airlayering and rerooting the plant above the affected area may prevent the issues that caused this, saving him possibly a lot of time, but I agree it is a risk that it could all happen over again, wonder if propolis would be a good treatment at the bases of plant stems to prevent this issue

DrDee

Hi Aloe,
Bummer about your clones. I think Cork144 hit it perfectly. Clones can get damping off. I have never had that happen with clones but certainly with seedlings. What I do for seedlings is to take some powdered elemental sulfur and sprinkle it around the base.

I wouldn't kill them if they still look great. Give them more time...and try the sulfur thing. works great for me. Also try to water the cubes at the edge to keep the stems as dry as possible.
JD

Latest posts

Latest posts