What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad mites: ID and Organic Antidotes that work!

R

Robrites

Integrated Pest Management (IPM)

The goal is to develop ecologically sound pest management strategies and tactics.

I don't see too much hipster there.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
You can find many defs for IPM but on the topic of pesticide use they usually look like this-
Under IPM, chemicals should be used only as a last resort only, but when used, the least-toxic materials should be chosen, and applied to minimize exposure to humans and all non-target organisms

or

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a method of reducing pests, and the diseases they cause, using a combination of common-sense techniques. When the amount of pests in an orchard is reduced naturally, there is less need to apply pesticides. And even when the natural methods fail to some degree, IPM growers are careful to limit their spraying to areas that really need the pesticides, rather than spraying the whole orchard.

I did commercial crop pest scouting for a few years and what we were doing was considered IPM ( by our clients at least). We would mark areas of high infestation and those would get sprayed. Areas with light to moderate infestation would get predators or organic treatments. Areas with very light activity would be marked for increased inspection but if the pest population didnt raise above the economic threshold they didnt get treated.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I'm pretty sure you are wrong about IPM being a "buzzword by organic nazis". It's a horticultural term, used by many professionals growing all kinds of crops.
no, i am sure you are wrong about "IPM" being part of "hipster culture".

not needing to spray your plants doesn't make you uncool, but posts like your last one in this thread may just.

funny how people refer to the organic nazi's... but i don't see them around much nowadays, i know there was a time in the organic section where there was lots of strife, but i just... dont see it now.
Yes you are correct that was off topic... Sorry. I already made my contribution to the OP earlier.

Integrated Pest Management (IPM)

The goal is to develop ecologically sound pest management strategies and tactics.

I don't see too much hipster there.
OK that's my point, that statement just sounds like waffle to me. I see broad mite damage I spray my emulsion, new healthy growth pushes through and I repeat when necessary. So why do I even need to know the term IPM.

I am not intending rudeness or disrespect Help me to understand. Maybe someone can give a practical example of IPM?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can find many defs for IPM but on the topic of pesticide use they usually look like this-
Under IPM, chemicals should be used only as a last resort only, but when used, the least-toxic materials should be chosen, and applied to minimize exposure to humans and all non-target organisms

or

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a method of reducing pests, and the diseases they cause, using a combination of common-sense techniques. When the amount of pests in an orchard is reduced naturally, there is less need to apply pesticides. And even when the natural methods fail to some degree, IPM growers are careful to limit their spraying to areas that really need the pesticides, rather than spraying the whole orchard.

I did commercial crop pest scouting for a few years and what we were doing was considered IPM ( by our clients at least). We would mark areas of high infestation and those would get sprayed. Areas with light to moderate infestation would get predators or organic treatments. Areas with very light activity would be marked for increased inspection but if the pest population didnt raise above the economic threshold they didnt get treated.

Wish I haden't rated that post as helpful, it deserves rep points.

You are literally (figuratively) the only person I've met on this forum that has any idea what they are talking about in regards to an IPM program. There may be others I've forgotten or overlooked (memory issues, as you all will understand) but they are few and far between.

I can't recall the last time, if ever, I noted that someone on this forum mentioned scouting, one of the tenets of a actual IPM program.

Moses is not completely off base. If you note many of the organic growers now, these statements are common.

"Dude, going to spray me some IPM"

"Got my IPM locked down with some neem and agsil"

"Top dressing some IPM insect frass"

While these statements are not wholly incorrect they demonstrate a misunderstanding of what IPM is. There is never any mention of any other actions typical to an IPM program.

If any one that banders in that style had bothered to research what IPM actually is, I should think they would make an effort to use the acronym properly. Picking up and using a word with no concept of its meaning is one of the sacred stomping grounds of the hipster doofus. See below.

I agree with you Avinash that the organic nazis are for the long gone. They can not suffer anyone growing in a system contrary their own and have migrated elsewhere to pat each other on the back incessantly. TeamMicrobe was the last I would describe as a nazi and as a result he was forcibly removed from the site. Perhaps he will have a new attitude on his return but judging from his conduct on other forums in the interim this is very unlikely. I barely dodged a banning myself for a childish involvement with the whole thing.

FatherEarth said:
So I went at least 3 weeks without a single IPM application..

FatherEarth said:
I've collected 30+ dif genetics from a myriad of sources and kept them all in the same room with no quarantine and no IPM

FatherEarth said:
If I wasnt counting on this round of plants, Id treat them with two modes of IPM, foliar feed them trace minerals and silicate, take clones then hit them with PFR in the cloner and finally introduce swirskis into the cloner for the last blow

Get it now? I should hope so. You refer to IPM as nothing more than a spray. This is precisely what I am talking about.

As you clearly did not click on either link I provided, do everyone a favour by doing just that and educating yourself on the entire concept.

Or grab a Lego branded t-shirt, top-knot haircut, a retro Micky Mouse watch and continue with business as usual.

Besides my sardonic (hurrah for word of the day calendars) way of writing, this isn't personal and I wasen't intending to single you out, but your "who? not lil' innocent me" reaction rankled a nerve.

I obviously believe word choice is important (few of my posts are unedited) and the misuse of the term IPM has grown into a minor pet peeve of mine. Now I'm not suggesting everyone overhaul their use of the word re: replacing strain with var (common parlance stands for something), marijuana with cannabis (PC reasoning) but to at least take note. One obvious benefit is that it may promote a more thorough understanding. It's unlikely I'll raise this issue (as I see it) again, the timing just seemed right.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Is there an Everything is Awesome Lego branded T Shirt. I want one. An organic Nazi T shirt would be pretty cool to...people might take the swastika wrong though.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wish I haden't rated that post as helpful, it deserves rep points.

You are literally (figuratively) the only person I've met on this forum that has any idea what they are talking about in regards to an IPM program. There may be others I've forgotten or overlooked (memory issues, as you all will understand) but they are few and far between.

I can't recall the last time, if ever, I noted that someone on this forum mentioned scouting, one of the tenets of a actual IPM program.

Moses is not completely off base. If you note many of the organic growers now, these statements are common.

"Dude, going to spray me some IPM"

"Got my IPM locked down with some neem and agsil"

"Top dressing some IPM insect frass"

While these statements are not wholly incorrect they demonstrate a misunderstanding of what IPM is. There is never any mention of any other actions typical to an IPM program.

If any one that banders in that style had bothered to research what IPM actually is, I should think they would make an effort to use the acronym properly. Picking up and using a word with no concept of its meaning is one of the sacred stomping grounds of the hipster doofus. See below.

I agree with you Avinash that the organic nazis are for the long gone. They can not suffer anyone growing in a system contrary their own and have migrated elsewhere to pat each other on the back incessantly. TeamMicrobe was the last I would describe as a nazi and as a result he was forcibly removed from the site. Perhaps he will have a new attitude on his return but judging from his conduct on other forums in the interim this is very unlikely. I barely dodged a banning myself for a childish involvement with the whole thing.

Get it now? I should hope so. You refer to IPM as nothing more than a spray. This is precisely what I am talking about.

As you clearly did not click on either link I provided, do everyone a favour by doing just that and educating yourself on the entire concept.

Or grab a Lego branded t-shirt, top-knot haircut, a retro Micky Mouse watch and continue with business as usual.

Besides my sardonic (hurrah for word of the day calendars) way of writing, this isn't personal and I wasen't intending to single you out, but your "who? not lil' innocent me" reaction rankled a nerve.

I obviously believe word choice is important (few of my posts are unedited) and the misuse of the term IPM has grown into a minor pet peeve of mine. Now I'm not suggesting everyone overhaul their use of the word re: replacing strain with var (common parlance stands for something), marijuana with cannabis (PC reasoning) but to at least take note. One obvious benefit is that it may promote a more thorough understanding. It's unlikely I'll raise this issue (as I see it) again, the timing just seemed right.

the introduction of swaroskis is not a spray, but still IPM....

i think the knowledge that IPM is an ongoing regime (consisting of more than simply applications of various sprays feeds and inputs) not a single application is more widespread than you think, mikell.

what exactly did you mean by "scouting" ? looking for the infected area (plants/trees) that are infected and treating them more or with different treatments than less (not) infected areas? like growtech said?
whenever i have plants i suspect are infected i isolate them if possible (if not just focus on them) and spray them first & most intense, then go on to treat the rest of the plants.

i really was not around in the organic section much during the "organic nazi" time... so i will admit being kinda oblivious to whatever went on; altho i def can see the remnants of it. seems like nowadays the organic section can be kinda brutal - but also VERY informative.

personally i'm very thankful for Father Earth's input in organic section - never has seemed "nazi" or pushy about it - and always has been helpful and good natured to me. my 2cents. same way mikell, good info in all your posts usually all good vibes for the most part :D
and
i can't help but agree that many people use many words and terms wrong (damn im totally guilty of the strain/variety thing, but have re-trained myself to use cannabis over marijuana). but that doesnt discredit the terms or make the words "bad" at all. ipm is legit, many ways to do it, this thread is about IPM methods vs broad mites... and in my opinion so far the thread has offered some really good solutions (foliar sprays included, but not alone).

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps there is a greater understanding than I had assumed. I can only surmise (look at the bastard go) from the incorrect use that there is an incorrect understanding. re: this thread I see little mention of any thing other than treatment options re: control, the last step.

Re: scouting. To save paraphrasing, see this link. Put plainly it's a formal schedule of crop inspection/monitoring. Noting obvious insect damage and or nutrient issues well after they've occured is a sign of a lack of scouting.

Some aspects of IPM do not translate to our industry as well. Greenhouse managers and crop farmers are willing to accept a level of damage that few cannabis growers would live with. If each plant to them provided similar revenue you would see much more strict guidelines (as will be appearing in the next few years I have to assume).

Grow Tech gives a good run-down of what the work load/procedure looks like.

This is a very good thread and covers much left out of other similar threads. FE presents some very good information among others and the discussion is more interesting than the average bear.

Meatloaf sandwiches have little competition.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Re: scouting. To save paraphrasing, see this link. To put plainly it's a formal schedule of crop inspection/monitoring. Noting obvious insect damage and or nutrient issues well after they've occured is a sign of a complete lack of scouting.
this reminds me of a saying;
best thing you can add to your garden? your shadow.
your shadow = formal scheduled of crop inspection / monitoring = spending more time with your plants

meatloaf sammiches??

EDIT: ok im just reading around and i kinda see evidence of what you are talking about... here is a link to a post by "modern cannabis". i find his info generaly good and consider the guy to be knowledgeable and a decent resource for info.
http://themodern.farm/methods/
in his IPM section he talks only about spraying, nothing about OTHER plant health factors / techniques that could lead to crop health thru pest reduction.
so i get what you are saying... and I would LOVE to hear MORE about things OTHER than foliar treatments that people are successfully using to reduce pests (obviously keeping things clean, quickly eliminating any obvious infestations, and keeping healthy soil)

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so are you telling me that meatloaf sammiches are a pest prevention technique we should all be using in or regular IPM regimes?
anyone else experienced reduced pests as a possible result of meatloaf sammiches?

milkyjoe

Veteran
The point being...methinks...is that if you take in 30 clones and simply chuck them in your mom room without quarantine you cannot then call subsequent actions integrated. Kinda like fuckin 30 crack hos without condoms and counting on the pharm industry to come up with a cure for herpes.

It may happen...or your dick may fall off. But at that point you are willing to try anything...kinda like when you want a meatloaf sammy and nothing else will do...from the main st cafe, on a tues at 1.

Or maybe not...sometimes I misinterpret

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so are you telling me that meatloaf sammiches are a pest prevention technique we should all be using in or regular IPM regimes?
anyone else experienced reduced pests as a possible result of meatloaf sammiches?

Interesting out of the box style thinking.

But truth be told I was just eating one while writing that.

Although.

Meatloaf Sammich = [(Meat+Cheese)/(BreadxHellmans)] which lays the groundwork for the theoretical equation of (X)[(IQ) + (Work Ethic)] = Productivity

X=[(Individual Sandwich Volume)(Number of sammiches)] / (Meatloaf Sammich)

Math is fucking useful. I'll forward this to the boys at CERN, see what they think.

I'll take my off topic ass elsewhere.

R

Robrites

We're all runnin' after Somethin'
Science and Math
Sit and Wait

*wonders if username "threadkiller" is taken*

Last edited:

OgRastaman

i have used this flying skull and it works i had outbreak of BMs in my my last run and it spread to some of my clones also this product is omri listed and can use up to the day of harvest! te only downside i saw was the app. rate whice is 2 oz. - 2.5 oz. per gal. stuff is costly but it works:laughing: