What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Flies Are a Thing Of the Past For Me Now

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I have been fighting white flies for quite some time and nothing has knocked the down. Seems no matter what I did they just came back stronger and thicker.
That is until a couple of weeks ago!!!
Remembered something I heard some years ago. Now after 3 applications my white fly problems is a thing of the past.
What is this miracle not available in stores you ask?????
Very simple and you probably have it in your medicine cabinet..
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. That's right. Hydrogen peroxide.
Use 3 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, and a few drops of dish soap. Pour it in your spray bottle, shake it up, and spray your white fly problem away. Spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves and the top layer of the medium. Use once a week for 3 weeks. I hardly saw anything after 2 weeks but I gave them a 3rd treatment just as a precaution. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide kills the egg sac and eradicates this pest right at it most vulnerable point. After 3 applications I am free of this aggravating flying satan. I made up a new solution each time I sprayed as the peroxide breaks down and looses it's potency.
Now I'm wondering if this solution will kill spider mite eggs too, but I'm not introducing them into my garden to find out.lol
Hope this helped someone.

resinryder

Veteran
Nearly forgot. Lonestar used to advocate using it for a soil drench for fungus gnats but I can't remember the rates he used for that.
Found it-Use 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 4 parts water. Fungus gnat die on contact with hydrogen peroxide. Let the top 2 inches of medium dry out, where larve reside, and then apply.

T

TribalSeeds

Let us know if they come back. Grab yourself some GoGnats if they do.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
White flies plagued some of my outdoor plants last year. So thick they looked like smoke in the air. Il, try this if I have any trouble with them this year. Thank You Bro!
DP

Ohmless

great to know the formula that is relatively benign that might help with my gnats. Cool idea even if it just knocks down their population.

S

SeaMaiden

I might try this on those damned cabbage aphids. I bet it can be combined with insecticidal soap and essential oils.

the gnome

Veteran
damn good work RR!
big thanks for the heads up in this one :good:

christ I hate those damn things,
very hard to get rid of once you get em and
they are vectors for other vermin like broadmites that use WFs to hitch a ride
on the WFs legs and spread the misery around

RetroGrow

Veteran
^^^^True dat.
The worst thing about white flies is they carry the satanic broad & cyclamen mites.
Good to have another weapon in the arsenal against them.

RetroGrow

Veteran
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE. That's right. Hydrogen peroxide.
Use 3 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, and a few drops of dish soap. Pour it in your spray bottle, shake it up, and spray your white fly problem away. Spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves and the top layer of the medium. Use once a week for 3 weeks. I hardly saw anything after 2 weeks but I gave them a 3rd treatment just as a precaution. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide kills the egg sac and eradicates this pest right at it most vulnerable point. After 3 applications I am free of this aggravating flying satan. I made up a new solution each time I sprayed as the peroxide breaks down and looses it's potency.
Now I'm wondering if this solution will kill spider mite eggs too, but I'm not introducing them into my garden to find out.lol
Hope this helped someone.

Good information, but what strength hydrogen peroxide?

bobman

glad that works you. had them for years i had to go systemic and it finished them have not had a white fly in over a year. knock on wood.

Granger2

Veteran
RR,
I had a rapidly worsening White Fly outbreak indoors about 2 1/2 years ago. I wiped them out with Trichogramma Wasps, and Green Lacewing larvae. They worked great, but your remedy would save me a crapton of money, and I could square off with them immediately, rather than waiting for the arrival of predators. As fast as they multiply, a quick start would be a huge advantage in that fight.

I'll always keep my Yellow Sticky Traps a-hanging. Thanks for the great tip. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
works like a charm RR :smoke:
I had an outbreak a few weeks ago 40+ days in bloom
one good spray down, a few stragglers for 2-3 days after then nadda :)

attn. Mods!!
this needs to be stickied!

resinryder

Veteran
Glad to hear it worked for ya. Any thing that can kill those flying bastards I'm all for.,lol

azez

Veteran
i only have a few but will give it a shot
good to see you arent to busy to help us out bro.
peace
ez