What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to prevent harvest from molding?

headees

Having recently seen the damage mold can due to a harvest while drying had me wondering how to prevent it. My buddy just had his nicest cola infiltrated with mold :badday: . He had it in a bathroom with a fan and some dryrite(dessicant). He thought these were good measures to prevent it, but it wasnt enough. He had the all the leaves on to help give it a slower dry, but when the humidity outside is very high it probably would have been better just to chop them.
Does anyone know any sure ways to prevent mold while drying? Ive heard of a spray that you use while the plant is growing, and it prevents mold from taking foot while you dry. Anyone know what Im talking about?

You can get a dehumidifier for around $30 or bags of silica for under $5 to prevent mold. Here in the US we have home depot's and walmarts where they sell this sort of thing in the household items sections.

headees

Thanks. I dont think I would want particles of sulfer floating around me, or my plants, but its better than smoking mold.

Cannabisourous what does silica do? I thought it was used to provide a protective shield over the root system. The dehumidifier my buddy has produces alot of heat, so he doesent like using it around the drying herb, cause it will dry too fast, Thats why he got the dry-rite its a dessicant, but I guess it didnt dry-rite enough cause his nicest cola has become mold food. :no:

nycnoob

Silica absorbs moisture.. i dont know how he would apply it though..and I would think that since there is already mold its too late to extract moisture..guess you can just salvage some?

G

The way ive always avoided mold issues is to use alot of tying or lst and grow more medium and small buds than large donkey dicks, as those are the ones that are likely to get it first i think..

G

mold is air born, if the air is kept clean than you do not get mold in the bud's.

A filtering system will remove all mold spores and much more from the air making it a pure air great for drying and growing. I have found using the Ionic machine to keep the air clean of mold spore's to help me. I have grown 2 liter size bud's in the room with out any mold problem's using the Ionic machine, but they only look nice for a short time as I break them down to fit in the jar's to cure, but they are the way to higher yielding grow's, at least for me.

Mold will also form in cold air situation's, at 68 degree's I molded out a nice rack full of small to medium bud's, maybe the mold spore's were on the bud before they went into the drying chamber, maybe it acquired in the chamber, regardless it was before I used the air purifier to keep all clean as it can be.

A bathroom is no place for bud unless it is completely clean of all mold spores, I use mine all the time, if I do not keep it clean as Mr. Clean, well mold is in the air, but again keeping the air clean and pure seem's to be the secret for me.

A small unit in a large area can run constant, a large unit in same or smaller area needs to be ran off a timmer, or manually every so often, as to much can be damaging to the plant's and the strength of the aroma of the bud.

Keep all area's clean, keep the air clean, and move it around as well as exchanging it with fresh clean air will do the trick, at least it has worked for me.

Stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
They said that it was hanging dry in the bathroom.... if anyone uses the shower even if you blow out the air to dry the room..those buds will mold... has to be away from any water-borne enviroment...even the next room to the bathroom will mold a bud if left in a jar ....yea it happened

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
Sorry guys, the best way to prevent harvest from mold is to check ALL the buds right after harvest.

No fancy means, no dehumidifier or chemical substances are needed, they are completely useless.

If mold is found, cut it away very meticulously. If it takes to cut away a whole bud, do it. All, even tiny specks of mold have to go.

All the rest of plant will dry well w/o mold in any damn conditions you will desire.

rgds, kov

Latest posts

Latest posts