What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3-600 watt or 2-1000 watt over 4x8 tray

G

growit1234

Check the lumens?

2 x 1000hps 2000watts 280,000 lumens

3 x 600hps 1800watts 270,000 lumens

But its all personal preference. 2 x 1000's might be cheaper to puchase, expensive to run. and 3 x 600's the opposite

G

Ive read it depends on your growing style..but a good majority of people I see on here with a 4x4 tray or more usually have 1000's over them. So I guess it would be up to you. Trial and error have played a big part in finding my grow style, and Im still looking.

I finished a grow not to long ago with a 600w hoverin above four soil plants around 3.5' tall. Not much penetration on the bottom. I recently upgraded to a 1000 over a 4x4 tray..Have yet to finish a grow with it though. I bought a Solar NRG bulb for it that supposedly puts out 160,00 lumens. So Ill see which one I like better soon enough. :dueling: << 600w and 1000w

The way I would do it is get two 600 watt lamps equiped with hortilux(R) bulbs instead of three 600 watt lamps or instead of two 1000 watt lamps and use the money you save to set them up on light movers and add a little extra ventilation or use that cash to get some other equipment. Light movers are the way to go IMO. All you need is a steel rail piece commonly available at the Home DePot, and a small electric motor with a rubber wheel or chain system to propel it. Total cost < $60 for entire light rail sytem when done yourself.

G

Your light's are choosen more by the grow method and area that you have to grow in.

Now to make 3 600's benefical to the grow, well a 9 ft long area by 3 ft wide, or 3 individual bloom room's that are 3 x 3 ft sq area's, that is if you are using horizontal lighting.

Vertical light set up, well the 600's maybe cooler, smaller foot print than the 1000's, but it does boil down to a grower's choice.

I have 3 600's haning over my girl's right now, and the hortilux eye bulb is used during the vegy and strecth phase of growth, but bloom is all about the Sylvannia GrowLux bulb, it is less expensive as other bulb's and it put's out more lumen's than most all other bulb's.

My room is not 9ft long, only 7 ft, so my lamp's foot print's over lap some and those area's get near double the lumen's, not at all the best set up, but we will get it modified soon.

The growth reach for the 600 is near 48" from the bulb and I will say for sure you get solid growth with in 3 ft of the bulb, so they are a nice lamp for small to medium garden's. If it is a large are you have, 4 to 5 feet wide, go with the 1k lamp's as they will light this area much better, just my thought's about it and I hope you the best on your garden.

stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

Think about timmer's, the power that is required for the lamp's, and the extra exhaust fan's and what not that is needed. Cheaper to get it for 2 hood's rather than 3, just a bit of food for thought.

I've been using 3 x 600w instead of 2 x 1000w because of the heat issues. My grow space is 12 x 12 x 10 , but I'm only using a corner of it right now, about 5x5. Were I to fill the room, I'd use the 1000's and 600's (and turn on the a/c). There's been mention of growing style and light penetration, this is definately an issue. My last cycle was a "tree grow" , really thick and tall, and I found that the lower buds in many cases were underdeveloped and airey. Damn near white in some cases.

This round I've trained the plants vertically and manipulated the plants into a flat and even, single layer canopy and I'm seeing MUCH tighter bud formation all around.

shopvac

couple quick questions.

1.how far can the 1k realistically penetrate

2.if cooled properly how close can you get without bleaching on a 1k.

issack

Veteran
All i can say in this thread is COOLTUBE LIGHTS!!. String those 2 1000w up together kick on your exaust fan that is connected to your exaust end duct. the lights run so cool you can grab the tube. cheaphydroponics.com has them 325 dollars for a 1000w and the same for a 600w.Hydroteck lights they are called.I just orderd 4 1000w and 2 600w. check them out guys its the way to go and no more worries about heat. just make sure the intake duct that runs to the lights comes from the outside and the exaust blows outside as well. then throw an a/c in the room and you have a nice easy controled invironment.

dubmantx

ya I would do the 3 600s just so that you could have 3 footprints vs only 2. Plus more efficient and at that high of watts you probably wont see a whole load of difference from the 200 watt difference anyways.
Im pretty sure you need a 15amp breaker for each 1000watter you have on. That might be a little overkill but better safe than sorry!

Bonzo

Veteran
No doubt about it, 3 600s, i just got 2 1ks 6 months ago and want to trade em in for 600s

bonz

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
IMO go with the 600's, its more flexible... down the road you'll have more choices, and they are the most effiecent.

Bonzo

Veteran
What i really want to try are the digital 600s, i found a company offering a 3 year warranty. Pricey though, like 375 just for the ballast!!!

bonz

wooly bear

30 amp 220 with light controler box, well i had 2 1000 and just bought the better air cooled reflectors, they are hot room gets 90 degrees, i even super sealed everything. I now say the 600 are good for a small space my room is only 16X8. you need alot of open space to control the heat of 1000. it will be ok in the winter but in the summer i"ll have to monitor the heat and use the a :badday: ?c

Dr. D

Veteran
bonzo Canntronics have digital ballasts my 400 was £135 for the lot..they are great lights dunno if u can get em in USA

wooly bear

I want to trade my 2 1000 for 4 600, i do not know I have grown some fooball otball fuckin keyboardfo football sized buds with 1000

issack

Veteran
WHO CARES ABOUT THE HEAT GUYS!!!!!!....COOLTUBES!!!!!....NO MORE HEAT...IT'S SO EASY MAN...325 DOLLARS FOR A 1000W HPS...

NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I TRY TO TELL PEOPLE....THEY STILL GO AND BUY THE OLD SCHOOL HEAT MONSTERS AND DO ALL THIS EXAUST SHIT....I JUST DONT GET IT....
STRING UP THE COOLTUBES...TURN THE FAN ON....SEAL THE ROOM...TURN ON THE A/C...DONE!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts