What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My mom has intense chronic pain and is willing to try cannabis

monali

Hello community

My mom (in her late 60s) has suffered arthritic pain in her back for more than 10 years! She has been on all kinds of pain medication but it only managed to get her addicted. She stopped taking meds (except tylenol), went through horrible withdrawal symptoms and recovered but now is left with debilitating pain, she can't sleep or go about her day. HELP

Don't know where to start, where to go! Who to call?

In California my husband had easy access to medical cannabis while going through chemo. He managed pain and nausea with the help of cannabis, but the clinic did all the guess work for us (we had never used it, not even for recreational purposes). We moved away shortly after he recovered.

Here is the tricky part: Mom lives in Texas... but she is willing to relocate temporarily to Colorado for the sole purpose of trying cannabis to manage her chronic pain!

Any information will be appreciated!

Mona

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Try the high CBD tinctures for your mom, they should work well for her ailments. They also make inhalers now so a couple of puffs should do the trick.

ChemCat

Hello community

My mom (in her late 60s) has suffered arthritic pain in her back for more than 10 years! She has been on all kinds of pain medication but it only managed to get her addicted. She stopped taking meds (except tylenol), went through horrible withdrawal symptoms and recovered but now is left with debilitating pain, she can't sleep or go about her day. HELP

Don't know where to start, where to go! Who to call?

In California my husband had easy access to medical cannabis while going through chemo. He managed pain and nausea with the help of cannabis, but the clinic did all the guess work for us (we had never used it, not even for recreational purposes). We moved away shortly after he recovered.

Here is the tricky part: Mom lives in Texas... but she is willing to relocate temporarily to Colorado for the sole purpose of trying cannabis to manage her chronic pain!

Any information will be appreciated!

Mona
Hi Mona

Just get hold of as much Organic buds as you can, doesn't matter if it's kush or anything, make oil out of it and start out with half a grain of rice doses before she goes to bed, keep doing this for a week and if she's not feeling any relief take an extra dose of a morning aswell, this is what I was giving someone for severe cancer pain and it worked better than any pain medication they were on that they stopped taking their prescription meds

Good luck with your mum

CC

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Things to avoid:

Over ripened cannabis with high CBN content. CBN is not CBD and is what makes you sleepy. You want fully awake, even with edibles/oil, without having to use caffeine to stay alert.

Over decarboxylated oil. Over cooked/decarbed cannabis is going to be more sleepy. Removing pain doesn't need to remove consciousness, careful with the cooking temps/times.

As stated, high CBD will be very beneficial for her pain. Very likely there is inflammation associated with the pain and CBD reduces inflammation and the feeling of pain.

Best of luck :)

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Conventional medicine is about TREATMENT only - not cure. Doctors don't have clue. They're too busy trying to make money. They don't give a shit about us. Off my rant. There's a TON of info on YT concerning natural remedies for arthritic pain. Your mother did the BEST thing for her body by getting off that medication. Those remedies in conjunction with what's already been stated, should give your mom some needed relief. Best wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvYaLIi4pOw

Gry

I would think you might be well served by contacting the clinic which did well by your husband.
I would imagine they would be more than happy to provide you with references which you will find
useful.
If they are not able to help, I would suggest you may wish to try wamm.org, or normal, or the very nice women behind Blue otter school of herbal medicine.

Wamm:
CONTACT WAMM
General Inquiries: info@wamm.org
Press Inquiries: info@wamm.org
Office Phone: 831-425-0580
Fax: 831-425-0582
Address:
815 Almar Ave. #2 Santa Cruz, CA. 95060 Office Hours
Tuesday – Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Normal: Phone: 415-563-5858 202-838-6863

Blue Otter: https://www.blueotterschool.com/bios-consultations/
(530) 468-4342

PdxFarms

My dad, someone who has never used cannabis and always been against using (thanks Regan), has for some years now been using bud rub for his arthritis and back pain from fusion surgery. He got off his pain management right after and no longer needs pharmaceuticals or anything but his bud rub and an occasional tylenol on a really bad day...Over the few years of using rubs, he has gone from using it numerous times a day to only once a day. Showing that it has been healing and not just treating the side effects.
He is a true testament of the capabilities using natural cannabis rubs along with other family members who have successfully used the same rub for everything from surgery pain, sciatica, ms and arthritis. It's a home made rub my mom makes with all natural ingredients. It's fairly easy and safe to make (saves a lot of money buying from stores)

I could always forward the ingredients if interested.

I don't know the science behind it, but can say she's made batches from strains testing high in cbd that were not as effective as the strain she usually uses with little to no cbd? Not just by my dad's testimony but by others as well even without their knowledge of the higher cbd ingredient, they reported back that it was less effective. Seems a few strains she uses with no cbd work more effectively.
There are no psychoactive side effects whatsoever.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
From my experience the number one thing not to do is over do it at first. I've seen that some older people who have had a preconceived idea of cannabis, one that has kept them from partaking their whole life can bring an anxiety with them that can quickly make the expirence become...too much.

You can quickly ramp up to try and find relief for your mother but maybe consider giving a minute to get the feel. Her sea legs if you will.

Some take to it like a fish to water but convincing themselves they may have been mistaken about cannabis can be a hard pill to swallow. Sincerely no pun intended.

I hope cannabis can help your mother find some relief. Best of luck.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Find her blood type and have her type her foods into this search engine.

There are an amazing number of foods which are fine for some people, yet cause significant pain in others. Removing the avoid foods can significantly cut down on episodes where pain suddenly increases for a while.

Pain sucks, fight back hard!

monali

Super Helpful!

Super Helpful!

Thank you so much for the info.

Unfortunately I cannot obtain help from our old California clinic since it was an oncology specialty clinic (and we live abroad). But I will pass this info along and hopefully we can get the ball rolling!

Extremely grateful, seriously.

Mona

monali

My dad, someone who has never used cannabis and always been against using (thanks Regan), has for some years now been using bud rub for his arthritis and back pain from fusion surgery. He got off his pain management right after and no longer needs pharmaceuticals or anything but his bud rub and an occasional tylenol on a really bad day...Over the few years of using rubs, he has gone from using it numerous times a day to only once a day. Showing that it has been healing and not just treating the side effects.
He is a true testament of the capabilities using natural cannabis rubs along with other family members who have successfully used the same rub for everything from surgery pain, sciatica, ms and arthritis. It's a home made rub my mom makes with all natural ingredients. It's fairly easy and safe to make (saves a lot of money buying from stores)

I don't know the science behind it, but can say she's made batches from strains testing high in cbd that were not as effective as the strain she usually uses with little to no cbd? Not just by my dad's testimony but by others as well even without their knowledge of the higher cbd ingredient, they reported back that it was less effective. Seems a few strains she uses with no cbd work more effectively.
Thanks!

I think we will start by calling a clinic and ease her into it with "creams" or rubs... she may be less resistant to the idea if it is not edible.

M

X

xavier7995

Just as a heads up, I found that the creams offered in dispensaries were not strong enough to be effective. I got some homemade coconut oil for my dad to use as a rub and it worked great, but the amount of weed and extracts that went in was pretty staggering. There was a commercial product he used for a while but it was discontinued, it was priced about where the homemade stuff would have needed to be in order to be effective.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
Just as a heads up, I found that the creams offered in dispensaries were not strong enough to be effective. I got some homemade coconut oil for my dad to use as a rub and it worked great, but the amount of weed and extracts that went in was pretty staggering. There was a commercial product he used for a while but it was discontinued, it was priced about where the homemade stuff would have needed to be in order to be effective.
My most recent batch of salve used 2.5 oz of very potent popcorn for 16 oz of coconut oil. I also used about 2 oz of bees wax and some vitamin e oil.

Irish063

Hi, not trying to take away from the OP but I saw that you mentioned you would be willing to forward the ingredients for the rub your mother makes. Would you be willing to forward them to me? We are trying to find something that will works for my wife chronic pain. I have ben thinking about trying to make some RSO for other problems but wondered if this might help her at night.
Thanks for your consideration.

X

xavier7995

My most recent batch of salve used 2.5 oz of very potent popcorn for 16 oz of coconut oil. I also used about 2 oz of bees wax and some vitamin e oil.

Meant to ask about this but clearly forgot, what does the bees wax bring to the mix? I have seen it mentioned in a number of recipes but don't know why.

Planning on 3 or 4 ounces of buds and gallon bag of trim to 16 oz of coconut oil. Might add a bit of rosemary oil so my pops feet don't smell like weed. I have been trying to decide on the bees wax front.