What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD stops 'undesired effects of THC' but does this mean its stopping medicinal value?

sadpanda

My friend who's going through chemotherapy is responding very well with CBD oil, but we all know about the synergy of THC so my friend is also wanting THC in the diet so to speak, and obviously as this is cancer they're wanting to drop some serious milligrams, but... they also have kids and dont want to be stoned through the day kinda thing.

So we also know that CBD inhibits those effects from THC ... and that's great -- that could mean that all my friend has to do is consume heaps of CBD to allow them to consume heaps of THC.

BUT ... would this also mean the THC would have reduced medicinal effect/value???

Yes, it would be really nice if scientists were allowed to study this properly to find out :( *cough*corrupt Schedule I insanity*cough*

oldchuck

Veteran
Yes, it would be nice if more serious research were available but since it's not we experiment on ourselves. This is not terribly risky with Cannabis as opposed to most forms of self-medication.

In my own experience I do believe that CBD is psychoactive but not in a get you high kind of way. And further I think with the right mix of cannabinoids, a mix of some sort of THC and CBD and perhaps others, can be put together experimentally to produce desired results. I do not belive CBD negates THC but they do modify each other and you have to find the right combination.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Good question.

I don't have any info to provide but am along for the ride now as well :yes:

All the best to your friend.

Galaxy420

My friend who's going through chemotherapy is responding very well with CBD oil, but we all know about the synergy of THC so my friend is also wanting THC in the diet so to speak, and obviously as this is cancer they're wanting to drop some serious milligrams, but... they also have kids and dont want to be stoned through the day kinda thing.

So we also know that CBD inhibits those effects from THC ... and that's great -- that could mean that all my friend has to do is consume heaps of CBD to allow them to consume heaps of THC.

BUT ... would this also mean the THC would have reduced medicinal effect/value???

Yes, it would be really nice if scientists were allowed to study this properly to find out :( *cough*corrupt Schedule I insanity*cough*

CBD can offset the paronoia gained from THC but cbd does not work against thc per say it just regulates different signals at the receptor sites.... one regulates CB-2 receptor and the other CB-1 etc... As I've seen it suggested- just take as many cannabinoids as possible from lots of different strains to get the most complete influence from them...

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I'm coming off a year of treatment for Rectal Cancer...

I'm coming off a year of treatment for Rectal Cancer...

I see your friend is taking Chemotherapy. What kind of Cancer does your friend have (it makes a difference)?

I've been through Radiation/Chemotherapy, Surgery and Strong Chemotherapy and I might have some insight on your friends needs.

I have used Marijuana to help with pain from radiation burns , to help me sleep through the nite and general discomfort.

Make sure your friend has a conversation with his/her Oncologist as they have a lot of information which can guide your friend in his journey.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Good Luck to your friend :tiphat:

SHAMROCKROVER

we are talking about nature here and she doesnt get it wrong ,the natural synergy between Cannabinoides works perfectly ,the current hardon for CBD products and strains seems odd to me,a good indica with its natural cannabinoid synergy as she intended makes the best quality oil in my opinion.

Rick Simpson says CBD is an antagonist in regards to THC, it reduces the psychoactive affect of THC but unfortunately reduces the anti-cancer affects of THC. When some bodies life hangs in the balance this idea becomes very important. Why reinvent the wheel follow Simpsons advice and worry about the rest later.

angelgoob

that's a good idea to have CBD in it too, to mollify the effects of THC.

THC doesn't necessarily have to bind to anything to be anti-cancer, it works in many ways, one is changing how a fluid acts and how tumor signal growth and separation work(metastasis)

(smoking orange juice along with my focus supplement with vinpocetine in it.

You could also you citicoline, it mitigates some of the high. Graywolf does that and others now.

GoatCheese

Veteran
You'll still feel the THC hit you even if the stuff your smoking/using is a CBD-rich strain, but the effect feels abit different.

I harvested my first CBD-rich plant (CBD Critical Cure) awhile ago and i thought i'd write a piece once i have experimented with it abit more.
..but i actually posted a few notes already and i'll post the quote below.

I have no idea what the actual CBD/THC % are, no labs around for testing, but my CBD Critical Cure (from Barney's Farm) seems to be fairly potent plant. I estimate, by how it hits me, that the THC % is around 7-10 %, but it also has a fair bit of CBD in it, cause after i had smoked around 1-1.3 gram of CBD Cure during the day, i could still feel the CBD inhibiting the effect of the potent THC-only strain that i smoked around 5 hours afterwards

..then i thought i'd experiment abit and hit the bong quite hard with the THC-only strain to see how the earlier CBD would shape the effects.

Here's the few lines i wrote. I'll type down something little longer ..and a bit more "scientific" (heh-heh) once i have experimented with this stuff a little more. Perhaps when i get to smoke more sativa-leaning plants. All i have is stoney indica-leaning stuff atm, so my "high-ly scientific experiments" are limited to the stoned-effect for a while still.

I kinda like these CBD-rich strains with lil THC in them. Nice and clear effect, not too drug-y but still you get a little buzz from the THC. Nice morning smoke for everyday use if you don't want to smoke anything that strong and want to function quite normally.

Now the fun begins when you start smoking THC-only smokes afterwards ..it kinda feels like you have been smoking hash or eating cannabis; there's nice calm balancing base from the earlier CBD, but sure the smoke won't hit you as hard because of the CBD.
But then when you smoke "shit loads" it's funny how your head stays clearer than normal; you're not that "high" and baked after such a heavy session, but you still get to feel the other psychedelic effects of cannabis and your body feels quite "smoked out" and might not function so sharply any more. Ton of fun!

IT was my first time smoking CBD-rich stuff yesterday and I had to kinda "over indulge" and see what happens and i liked how some CBD affects a heavy smoking session.

I was smoking some X18 Pakistani and it was clearly noticeable how the earlier CBD shaved off some of the over-powering effect or anxiety i get from X18. Much more comfortable, esp with higher dosage.

Got me to thinking that this way i might get to enjoy sativas a little more, cause i'm not a fan of that edgy/racy high some sativas have.

One thing i could add..
Imo, for a med-user, It would be quite handy to have CBD-only bud around along with your chosen THC-only stuff, so you could make your own blends to suit your needs ...sativa and indica stuff that is.

Meaning..
If you need sleep-meds and your CBD-rich strain doesn't have much Myrcene in it, it won't be that sleepy-stuff, cause CBD doesn't do that, i think. You need the Myrcene from another strain (THC-only maybe) to make your blend sleepy/couchlock.

Peace

oldchuck

Veteran
It is a mistake to consider Ricjk Simpson a useful guide on anything Cannabis. He is great at personal publicity but his science is very weak.