What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philips 315w CDM Elite (CMH)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there anywhere that will ship the ballast and/or bulbs internationally for a reasonable price ballast discount won't and ATL isn't answering emails (12 days now) any suggestions

No idea where you are "internationally", but this equipment originated in Europe and has had far better availability there than the US until very recently.

Hottish

I have been searching for these ballasts in Europe, no luck do far so left waiting for ATL to get back to work

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It might be worthwhile to try a conventional electrical supply house - I can't imagine that they would be more expensive than growshops! The 315 was originally designed for architectural use, and all of the early information about the usage of it came out of Europe. I've searched around a bit for EU sources and only find completed fixtures like the e-Papillon and the Dimlux, no separate parts, but somebody has to be supplying the contractors that are doing commercial installations.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely, add whatever you like and I'll try and distill it into the "Reflector" post up front. I thought that I had done a better job on that, but I just mentioned the Bell hood in regard to cooling and neglected to mention changing out the socket.

Ericos

I've been rocking the 315's and 860's for about 6 flowering cycles and happy with both the product and lower electric bill. I posted some of my setup on the massive cmh thread. Around pgs 407-428 I think?

My question is has anyone done a dual kelvin run with both the mogul and elite versions or what are your thoughts on this configuration. I'm waiting on four more ballast to try it out. I figure with the added UV from the 4200k mogul version and the extra red output of the 3100k elite version should give a near sunlight replication. I run all open fixtures but use the og hoods for my 860s On the other half of the room :)

Love the 3100k elites but not so much on there lack of UV a and b, which is miniscule.

Im running 4 315's 4200k with 4 600w HPS on splitters for the balance right now but my strains react to the cmh light better it seems for oil and fragrance production and the 600s are just more heat than I won't.

313Ninja

The 860w has been talked about extensively in the big CMH thread, along with all of the other variants of the technology. This thread's focus is the 315 because it had become very difficult for people to pick out the relevant data for that lamp. It would be great if an 860 user started a dedicated thread for them, but I have no experience with them and they are significantly different than the 315 - they are intended as a retrofit lamp for 1000w magnetic ballasts.

Sorry about bringing it up. It was brought to my attention through a private message that it was frowned upon that I brought them up. My bad, it has been a while since I have been on the forums, and didn't read fully through the threads. Just wanted to apologize....

Ozone25

Since AdvancedTechLighting isn't going to respond to me emails I automatically win my dispute tomorrow.

I was looking at either the Philips 315w Argo 930 or the Phillips MasterColor CDM Elite 315W ED37(the one ATL offers)

Which one would you suggest for being using for Veg and Bloom?

http://www.horticulturesource.com/philips-philips-mastercolor-cdm-lamp-315-w-argo-p-12-cs--p13536/

I will be ordering the ballast and socket here:

http://depotlighting.com/iztmh210315rlfm-p-6976.html
and
http://depotlighting.com/k577a-pgz18-base-p-8038.html

Is the PGZ18 base all I need? Assuming I go with the argo. Is there anything else I would need(I have the up/down transformer)? Reason I ask is im having all this shipped to Canada so if I forget to order something or order the wrong part it would be very expensive to fix it.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've only used the PGZ-base lamps, not the mogul ED37, so I can't really help you with that part of your question, and I veg under LEDs. I have been very happy with the Agro (Argo in all of the misspelled ad copy!), but the 930 lamp would traditionally be considered a "flowering" lamp where the 942 would be for vegging. Perhaps someone that has used them both can jump in here. I know that there have been reports of the 942 working well all the way through.

Personally, I have been very impressed with the PGZ-type lamps and think that it is a vast improvement over the mogul design. However, the mogul lamp has much higher UV if that interests you, but it does have a shorter life.

I think that your list is complete except that you will want a mogul base rather than the one that you have linked if you decide on the ED37 lamp. Do you already have a hood to put it in?

Ozone25

I've only used the PGZ-base lamps, not the mogul ED37, so I can't really help you with that part of your question, and I veg under LEDs. I have been very happy with the Agro (Argo in all of the misspelled ad copy!), but the 930 lamp would traditionally be considered a "flowering" lamp where the 942 would be for vegging. Perhaps someone that has used them both can jump in here. I know that there have been reports of the 942 working well all the way through.

Personally, I have been very impressed with the PGZ-type lamps and think that it is a vast improvement over the mogul design. However, the mogul lamp has much higher UV if that interests you, but it does have a shorter life.

I think that your list is complete except that you will want a mogul base rather than the one that you have linked if you decide on the ED37 lamp. Do you already have a hood to put it in?

I've been reading it as "Argo" this whole time. *facepalm*

I don't have a hood and if I was to put it in a hood I would be placing it in the silverstar 6" as my tent is 2x2.

http://www.hydroshop.ca/en/silverstar-6.html?___SID=U

If I went with the ED37 Lamp, would any mogul socket work?

Would either of my lamps fit in such a reflector? If not I planned on just hanging it vertically if it doesn't.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Somehow the Philips ad copy changed the spelling on "Agro", and all of the vendors have copied it!

I would think that the Silverstar would work fine as far as the lamp goes - my hoods are roughly 17" x 24". It might take a little adaptation to center the light in the reflector. However, it looks like it would be difficult to make the air system work unless you duct straight through the tent sidewall from the reflector duct ports. There wouldn't be any room for 90's on there.

The ED37 uses an EX39 mogul base, so it should fit in any mogul socket.

I think that you would be handicapping yourself going bare vertical in a 2x2 tent, but that is a different argument.

drakore

Since AdvancedTechLighting isn't going to respond to me emails I automatically win my dispute tomorrow.

I was looking at either the Philips 315w Argo 930 or the Phillips MasterColor CDM Elite 315W ED37(the one ATL offers)

Which one would you suggest for being using for Veg and Bloom?

http://www.horticulturesource.com/philips-philips-mastercolor-cdm-lamp-315-w-argo-p-12-cs--p13536/

I will be ordering the ballast and socket here:

http://depotlighting.com/iztmh210315rlfm-p-6976.html
and
http://depotlighting.com/k577a-pgz18-base-p-8038.html

Is the PGZ18 base all I need? Assuming I go with the argo. Is there anything else I would need(I have the up/down transformer)? Reason I ask is im having all this shipped to Canada so if I forget to order something or order the wrong part it would be very expensive to fix it.

I found the sockets/bases cheaper here:

http://semperlite.com/products/lampholders/main.php?PR_ProductID=3811

Granted I haven't gotten a shipping quote yet. I live in Canada too but I'm shipping my stuff to Niagara Falls then driving down to get it. Shipping across the border is too expensive.

Ozone25

I found the sockets/bases cheaper here:

http://semperlite.com/products/lampholders/main.php?PR_ProductID=3811

Granted I haven't gotten a shipping quote yet. I live in Canada too but I'm shipping my stuff to Niagara Falls then driving down to get it. Shipping across the border is too expensive.

I live on Vancouver Island so the cost of the ferry out weighs the savings. I am really hoping ATL emails me back soon or I will just have to pay an extra $140 for everything. :/

And rives what are 90's? Thanks for answering all my questions, you've guided me in the right direction.

And rives what are 90's?
90 degree 6" tin elbows that would allow the airflow thru the hood to change direction. rives is saying you HAVE to plumb the airflow straight

I have a few t9's in glassed reflectors and they just do not seem to need airflow at all to cool them. Any thoughts?

However, the mogul lamp has much higher UV if that interests you, but it does have a shorter life.
IIRC the UV the mogul makes is all UVA and UVB, not UVC.
And only the UVC has been shown to be marginally useful to us, correct? UVA and B has not been shown to be useful at all.

Perhaps @BetaTestTeam could weigh in? Does that work on this forum?

IIRC the UV the mogul makes is all UVA and UVB, not UVC.
And only the UVC has been shown to be marginally useful to us, correct? UVA and B has not been shown to be useful at all.

Perhaps @BetaTestTeam could weigh in? Does that work on this forum?
Got your PM. Though I haven't read this thread and what I'm about to write my be redundant (sorry if so):

You have it a bit turned around. It's UV-B that's useful to us (if you mean THC and some other secondary metabolite biosynthesis), though UV-B is helpful for other reasons in terms of improving plant growth and health, as well; as is UV-A. Both UV-A and UV-B are very good to provide plants, but the amount provided is important (more so for UV-B than UV-A).

UV-C is not what you want to be around, especially without eye protection and skin protection. UV-C is dangerous and not good for plants. Most all UV-C is 'filtered' out of the solar radiation before it reaches Earth's surface.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live on Vancouver Island so the cost of the ferry out weighs the savings. I am really hoping ATL emails me back soon or I will just have to pay an extra $140 for everything. :/

And rives what are 90's? Thanks for answering all my questions, you've guided me in the right direction.

As LP said, 90's are elbows that would go on the stubs coming out of the reflector to turn the airflow. The problem is that you have a 24" tent and a reflector that is 22" long - there is no room for the elbows to be installed onto the reflector. It's best to have the airflow as straight as possible, but there are no alternatives here - they simply won't fit.

It would be interesting to see how a fixture would work running enclosed but non-ventilated. With the glass in, it should contain the direct heat from the lamp a bit, and the air exchange for the tent might take care of the radiant heat buildup from the fixture. It might be worth a try.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As LP said, 90's are elbows that would go on the stubs coming out of the reflector to turn the airflow. The problem is that you have a 24" tent and a reflector that is 22" long - there is no room for the elbows to be installed onto the reflector. It's best to have the airflow as straight as possible, but there are no alternatives here - they simply won't fit.

It would be interesting to see how a fixture would work running enclosed but non-ventilated. With the glass in, it should contain the direct heat from the lamp a bit, and the air exchange for the tent might take care of the radiant heat buildup from the fixture. It might be worth a try.

i have a pal running an unenclosed (open, no glass) fixture 315w in a 4x4 tent with a 4 inch fan and it still needs ventilation, the warmth builds up. a 6 or 8 inch fan on thermostat? probably could handle it.

imo the 315w 's are great for unducted hoods in well ventilated spaces