What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Culligan water (store bought 5gallon jugs) good for hydro or no?

Green Force

Culligan water (store bought 5gallon jugs) good for hydro or no? id like to kno this because i like in the country and i have well water soon to have city water should i use bottled water with balanced ph or use the hard country well water??

G

Does part of that process use a water softener with salt? I've never checked into that much but from what I understand that's no good for hydro.

TahoeTops

I found a machine that dispenses water into 5 gallon jugs. The machine I found says nothing about a water softener. It filters through a carbon filter, UV light, then a RO filter, then again through the UV light and out to the jug. $0.30 per gallon!

I would recomend that you try and find a similar situation.

Crashin'

I get my water from the Culligan water machine at Wally-World. Great stuff, pH~7, ppm between 7-15, and .25 cents/gallon.

BTW, some water softeners use potassium.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
sounds like its RO from a machine? very good! just 'add-back' the mag and cal thats void from the water now.

Green Force

and now how trust worthy is the PH balance of that wanter duz it change or is it stady? can you trust it is at a around 7 all the time? +/-??

WeeD22MaN

I told you the bottled water is neutral ph (7.0). In hydroponics, the ph will drift no matter what water you're using. You will have to bring it down to 5.5 and let it drift up..

WeedMan

Crashin'

The water I buy is pH'ed @7 when I bring it home. 5 or 6 days later it's around 6.85-6.9. It has always gone down slightly but it's not significant enough to worry about.

TahoeTops

Crashin': Ok. But your desired PH is 5.5 - 6.5, with 5.8 - 6.0 being ideal. So you will have to bring down your PH a little.

Greenforce: I would recomend you buy your water. I am in the same situation... Living with well water! Extremely Hard!!! I have to buy my water. You still should PH the water you purchase from any location. Go get yourself a meter and buy some PH down. Go easy on the PH down... A little goes a long way with great water. Also buy yourself a dropper. Grow stores usually sell them if not improvise with something like eyedrop bottle.

Good luck...

Green Force

yeah i allready have all this meeters tds PH EC PH up PH down gots it all i pland on balanceing the PH i was JW if the water was bad or not from what i see its good =)

G

i pland on balanceing the PH
If you're starting with very low or no EC water the nutes you use will drive the pH down to about right where you'll need it. Once I got nute strength, I do not use pH to determine nute strength like some and start with EC first, dialed in the pH and EC wouldn't budge even though I'd go through half a 100 gal res.

Add nutes first then adjust pH and leave yourself a little slack as pH adjustments will add to EC a bit. Hydro is easy.

G

Crashin' said:
I get my water from the Culligan water machine at Wally-World. Great stuff, pH~7, ppm between 7-15, and .25 cents/gallon.

TWENTY FIVE CENTS A GALLON for water----------Water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you off your Med's?

G

TWENTY FIVE CENTS A GALLON for water----------Water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you off your Med's?
Sorry but are you saying you shouldn't pay for water? In some areas the water supply is fuc.ked when trying to use for growing and the choice is pay up for some type of treatment equipment up front or pay per gallon at the machine.

Just trying to understand your response...thanx.

G

Crashin' said:

Absolute Genius, some slick assed dude parks a vending machine in front of Wally World, hooks it up to a hose bib and sells water to kindergarten drop outs for 2 bits a gallon just so they can grow watermelons. Absolutely Genius !!!!!!!!

Know before you grow, minimal dis-appointment.

G

Nondual said:
Sorry but are you saying you shouldn't pay for water? In some areas the water supply is fuc.ked when trying to use for growing and the choice is pay up for some type of treatment equipment up front or pay per gallon at the machine.

Just trying to understand your response...thanx.

You are Trying to understand my response????????????????So what does understanding have to do with Forrest Gump paying 25 cents for a gallon of water? If you happen to need some Ice Cubes I really have a butt busting sale going on now.

Hey, take a close look at your water and find out what is in it as it comes from the tap. Numbers only mean bad if harmful. Look at Afghanistan and its Superior Community Water Systems. They grow 90 some percent of the worlds Opium Poppies and some premium weed and the Culligan Man doesn't make home delivery. Great place for selling Pur water filters, maybe a franchise is in the offing,.
:dueling:

Last edited:
G

Good luck Green Force and if you have any questions about water, for whatever use like hydro, soil, general human consumption or even growing opium poppies looks like Ty-Stik is your man.

G

Thank you, thank you Nondual, I most humbly accept your accolade. After all I am what, 97% water? That leaves 3% for Bullshit, "that resembles me" as Garfield would say.

BTW I lived 17 years in the Mojave Desert where ****ing rabbits and sidewinders carry canteens and even the sun tries to find a shady spot. The water, extremely alkaline, with a few amendments grew fine weed. Water was in short supply taking overnight for the well to fill the 600 gallon tank. At 25 cents a gallon that would be $150.00 a fill.

Add up the cost of driving to and fro to buy and haul the water. Best to take care of the problem at its source, or move. 25 cents is a lot of money when you are done adding it up at the end of the grow.

Crashin'

The water in my city has way too much calcium and magnesium. They also use chloramine instead of chlorine and add fluoride. From the tap it's roughly a pH of 8 and 390ppm. I buy 30 gallons a week for $7.50, I can afford it.

eucaryote

Ty-Stik said:
Add up the cost of driving to and fro to buy and haul the water. Best to take care of the problem at its source, or move. 25 cents is a lot of money when you are done adding it up at the end of the grow.

Costco has a nice RO system for about $140. That's the cheapest good quality unit that I've seen. At 25 cents a gallon, it seems like it'd take a while in comparison to justify an RO system being able to pay for itself. Then there are replacement filters every 6-7 months... It's only fiscally sound if you add it up over a 5 month period. I'm sure more of us waste money on beer, junk food, and/or soda every week than on bottled water for our ladies. mmm beer.

But yeah, for large volumes of water it's better to be safe and get your own RO. Doesn't it make you feel odd at the grocery store filling up 150 gallons worth of containers every two weeks? Yikes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts