What's new

HELP!! Droopy plants in EBB&FLOW

Maxyeild

The set up is 2 3x3 ebb & flow tables with a 1000k over each.
Ph 5.8-6.0
3 part GH Flora series nutes
Growing in Clay rocks

Problem- plants are 12"s tall and very droopy, they are green and look healthy except for them being very droopy. the fan leaves are just laying down on top of each other, they almost look like they have been over watered. Watering them every 3 hours when lights are on and none with lights off. Have checked for pests and there is no sign of them.............any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Edit/Delete Message

sacredearth

try flooding your tables less frequently. Normally when plants droop that means that they are stressing from to much H2o. So let you medium air out a bit before you flood your tables again and see what happens. Every strain has different needs. You just have to listen to your plants and see what they like. Just my 2cents

Maxyeild

thanks, the plants are White Rhino & Himalayan Gold from Greenhouse. I think I may have a mild case of root rot! is there anything i can do to overcome root rot? and any idea what causes it? when you look under the pot's through the holes most roots are bright white but a few are brown and don't look to good.......

Root rot comes from roots not getting enough oxygen, i would also say flood only once a day and see what happens

if you can trim really brown roots off it will prevent further rot

vigilo

sometimes the plants droop after the last watering...they may seem overwatered, but by tomorrow they are fine and perky. mine used to do this and they are fine now with no changes

I am running a 4x4 under a 600 with grow rocks. I can flood anywhere from every 90 min to every 3 hours (haven't tried longer or shorter) without any sign of over watering. If your water has enough o2 in it, then it shouldn't really matter how often you water as long as the medium doesn't completely dry out. If you have rw, that might be different, but think of waterfarms, dwc and systems like that, they constantly water and the plants love it. I'm not saying to water every 90 min, but 3 hours sounds like it should be fine with rocks and a 1k. Do the rocks look totally dry by the 3 hr mark?
Try adding an air stone and see if your res water is to warm.

How long have the plants been in there? You say they are 12'', did you just pop them in, and if so, what were they in before?

waster

Just to be contrary, dissolved o2 shouldn't matter. if reducing the no. of floods doesn't work, try increasing the number of floods, more draing= more 02 to roots. Are you using hydroton - some of the other brands seem to be more prone to this.

Maxyeild

my buddy is using hydroton, he put an air stone in the res. the water temp is 70f, also added some hydrozyme to help the roots. backed off the floods and they began to look wilted and droopy so he is now trying to increase the floods to every 2 hours with none at night. also these were started in rapid rooters with hydrotron in the system, so they have been in the system since seeds. the crazy thing is they don't look the best but there growing like crazy, in 2 days they went from 12" to 15".

thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts