What's new

Damn Clones!!!!

DazhyDro

Hey whats up everyone. I am trying to clone from a Jack Herer mother plant and its not looking too good. I cut one clone on 11/06, and 4 on 11/07. I put the clones in presoaked ph'ed ro water, and tried to get the cubes moist not soaking wet. I still have no visible roots, and today I tried to pull some of the clones out gently to see if their is root growth, but it looked like there was a salt build-up or something above where I tried to make a 45 degree cut. I dipped all the clones in rootech before I put them in the cubes. There are under a 24 watt compact floro with a little pc fan as exhaust so it doesn't get to hot. Most of the leaves on the clones are drooping, but not to bad, and most of the growth tips look fine. Does anyone know what this salt looking buildup is? Or why theses clones seem to be not rooting even though Ive tried to provide ideal conditions? Thanks alot everyone

DazhyDro

I trimmed the leaves, besides the growth shoots, and most of the clones only have 1 other big leave that I cut in half. the clones are under a humidty dome and I spray the sides of it about 3 times a day to keep it humid.

betterboy

Even better yet, scar the lower 1/2" of the cut.
Sounds like your cubes are to dry. do you have a humidity dome over the cuts?

Wait...What?

Veteran
That 'salt buildup' was probably the scar on the end, where the roots would eventually come out had you not futzed with it...

It takes more than a week for a cutting to root. Two weeks is more reasonable.

DazhyDro

Yes I did scar the bottom of the clones, and I don't think the rw cubes are too dry and they are under a humidty dome. Hopefully some will pop out soon bc I need to get my room going!!!! thanks for all the help guys I let you know

KUSHEATER1

be patient I just looked and all of my Katsu Bubba cuts have roted in the bubbler and it's been two weeks since i took cuts...

chosen

Veteran
Rockwool and bubble cloning are great methods. Yet, with using Rockwool, i'd probably use some form of humidity dome unless you were running bubbles under them. If the clones haven't died or only just started to wilt, give them a chance. Some methods just don't work perfectly for everyone. Give it some time

G

Tender new growth on the mother makes the best clones. I have never air rooted MJ but am sure it would work in extreme circumstances. Trees can be cloned with air rooting.

chosen

Veteran
Yep... Airlayering works but it's a pain to do on a large scale. If you can get a syringe, it will help alot in watering the plants. That way you don't have to open up the sack. I actually like using Saran wrap when I do it in order to see the roots.

G

Daz,
Most likely what appears to you as a salt buildup is in fact "pre-roots". Don't pull them to see what goes on, just wait until you see roots on the outside of the rockwool.

W.

Last edited:
How warm are the rw cubes? I know it takes for days if they aren't 75-80 pretty consistently. With rw I used to shoot for closer to 80 than 75. Are you using a germ mat or heating pad under the dome and tray?