What's new

The Urkle ScROG in my closet

Welcome to my grow!

A little background-
This is my second closet grow using an ebb n flow system with 6 in rockwool cubes sitting in the tray, and a 400 watt Phillips Powertone SUN bulb shining up above. My closet is about 2 ft x 4.5 ft so everything fits nice and snug. I was able to harvest a half pound off 4 plants in my last grow (harvesting at 2.5 ft) so I'm looking to up the yield with the scrog. I just got the new cuttings of Purple Urkle and im ready to go!

Components-

10 gal ebb n flow unit with pump
Stand alone AC unit vented into another room
400 watt Phillips Sun Bulb
6 in rockwool cubes
the all-important screen
Hanna Combo Grow Check mounted continuous measurement
License to grow my own medicine!!!
4 purple urkle clones

I decided to use the Canna Aqua Vega and Aqua Flora line of nutrients as I used them previously and was very happy with the results. In addition, I will be using Canna Rhizotonic, Cal Mag, Fox Farm Open Sesame, Beastie Bloom, and Cha Ching, as well as Dutch Masters APS for foliar feeding.

Just transfered my clones into their home for the next 10 or so weeks. They are starting with 4 floods a day at 15 min each and 900 ppm. I find that Canna is quite gentle where it needs to be so i can always feed in the upper spectrum of each week's regimen.

IC Mag and all of you amazing folks were part of the success of my last grow...a rose and a frosty nug to each of you for all of your invaluable help. This is my second grow, yes, but first time using the ScROG method, so any help will of course be gratefully accepted. This community is about free exchange of ideas, so with that in mind, roll a fat spliff with me and lets get going. :joint:

heres a pic of some God's Gift from my previous harvest...

G

YOUR CLOSET IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF MINE, MY BIGGEST ISSUE WITH THE 400 WATTER IS THE HEAT, WHAT ARE THE SPECS ON THAT AC? AND HOW DID YOU VENT IN INTO ANOTHER ROOM? HOW MUCH DID THAT BAD BOY COST YA? YOU KEEP IT ON A TIMER OR DOES IT KICK ON AT A CERTAIN TEMP. 1/2 POUND YIELD! THATS OVERGROWN HELP ME!! :headbange

The AC is a 10000 btu freestanding unit that i vent into a bedroom closet. Just cut a little 4 in diameter hole in the drywall. It also keeps the bedroom nice and warm in a drafty apartment.:yes: Yes, the 10000 btu is a bit excessive, and thus not as efficient, but for 100 bucks on craigslist it was a quick and easy solution. Plus i can use it outside of growing if i ever needed to.

Just today i picked up a digital programable thermostat at the hardware store for 40 bucks. The idea was to save some money by using a more efficient thermostat than the clumsy dial on the unit itself. I'll let you know when i see the bill.

I have had some recent problems with heat since i sealed up the door with some thicker weather-stripping, but i am adjusting the thermostat accordingly to compensate. It still vents a lot of hot air which leads me to believe its still pulling in a fair amount of fresh air through the cracks. Perhaps another small hole might be in order, but id rather not.

You know what those AC units are really good for?

Purple!!!

Day 4 Update

Day 4 Update

Aight its day 4 and ive run into a bit of a problem...

21294PICT0003-med.JPEG

Is this light burn?

My light is as high as it can go, about 2.5 ft iv never had this problem before. Temps are constant 77, rh at 48%, nute strength at 700 (supposedly they were being fed at 800 when i got them, so i bumped it down just to be sure it wasnt nute burn)

Overall they just dont look all that great, the leaves just hang there. They are down to 4 waterings a day which was the lowest i had to go with my last grow. They may be more susceptible to over watering than my last strains. I guess I may be learning how different each strain can be.

Let me know what you think....

RevolutionX

shit man, not looking so hot at the present. couple questions tho, when you say nutes at 700 does that mean flower or veg solution? if your feeding veg and thats what type of light regime they are on then i would naturaly suspect a phosphorus deficiency-as it looks like the plant is eating itself(which can happen)...those dark purple stems are also an indicator..

but if your in flower and already feeding P then i think you got a bigger problem...also mate did your roots make it to the bottom of that big cube and if so how do they look? fat white and healthy, or skinny stringy and brown? i would cut back on the four soakings a day until the roots fill that cube out real good...then bump up the waterings cuz the cube can dry out faster with all them roots feeding...i have a feeling you had waterlogged cubes for a few days straight...peace dude

Rev×

Mr.Gr33n

only time i ever seen my plant look like that
with holes in it was due to bugs eatin my plants.

never again will i grow outside due to my leaves looking just like that.

temps to me seem ok, same as rH%
and wouldnt nute burn first show on the tips of the leaves.
then curl up as they usually do.

or maybe some def? 700 in what stage and how old?

you shure u dont have any unwanted pests in your grow room?
have u looked on the under side of your leaves?

can only go by what has happened to me so.

Last edited:

RevolutionX

caterpillars will eat holes like that...and them are easy to spot usually..lol...i actually had a recent problem from them getting indoors somehow..lol...and i had holes appearing everywhere that had me scratching my had for a few days....but i dont think its that.

no other leaves are affected in the pic which makes me think its a mobile nutrient thats def, because it starts at the top and deters new growth. also i noticed no little pin spots on the leaves from mites so that cant be it....are they all like that dude?

They are in day 4 of veg, just baby clones, I transplanted the 3x3 cubes they came in over to my 6 in cubes. They had roots all the way through the 3 inch cube so i figured they would be good enough for a normal feeding reg. I have a feeling that it does have something to due with over watering. The cubes are soaked!. Im gunna letem dry out and make those roots work a bit.

Otherwise, No pest problem to speak of, ive had experience with spider mites and got pretty good at finding those little bastards.

Ill let you know if less feedings fixes the problem.

Thanks for the help gents

G

Yup...looks like bugs eatin em. So you only have the a/c unit running in there and no fans or other exhaust? Looks like you've done good at this before...Good luck with the current run! :smoke:

Looks like a nice setup. I hope you get the holes figured out soon and end up with a nice little jungle in there.

How long are you going to veg them before switching to 12/12? Looks like they should be able to fill that screen up pretty fast.

stoned2death: Thanks, The ac actually vents all the hot air directly through the wall and into another room. I also have a fan sitting on top of the ac that blows 24 hrs.

happy: I'm letting the cubes dry a little bit to encourage some root growth, down to 2 feedings every 24 hrs. Im already seeing the leaves perk up. Im thinking it was just way too wet. The new growth is already looking hole-free. As far as when Im moving to flower, I'm really not sure yet, I have never done a ScROG before, so im just gunna take a somewhat educated guess. Thats the best I can do with an unfamiliar strain right?

Thanks for the responses...keep em coming!

Last edited:
Day 7 Update

Day 7 Update

Were into day 7 here and everything is looking much better. I cut down the waterings to two a day and the girls couldnt be happier. Lots of lush green comin out. Just smoked a spliff and decided to take some pics.
just starting to peek over the screen

day3-then

day7- now

day4-then
21294PICT0003-med.JPEG

day7-now

:muahaha:

G

Looking better already....sure does look like something was chompin' on em. If I was you, I'd cover the rockwool to keep the algae down. Other than that, looks like they are well on their way. :yes:

HeresTheDank

youre closet is 2 feet deep by 4 wide? i have a standard sliding door closet thats about 2 feet deep and was thinking about using it to grow and ventingthrough a hole like you did. i wanted to use a 400 watt hps as well but didnt consider the ac unit, which im assuming is essential in a small closet. my problem is my closet is wider...about 6 feet but i was goingto put a dividing wall in there to seperate the useable closet space to the growing closet space...if that makes sense. id prefer that so the doors are always closed consealing the grow area and the area of my closet left open is where my dresser/shirts are so it seems like a normal closet. any tips?

Latest posts

Latest posts