What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bleaching/spotting/yellowing

RJE231

Medium: 70% Coco/30% perlite using cannacoco
Pots: 3 gallon fabric pots
Watering to ~30% runoff each time - note that they don't seem to dry out very fast, sometimes it takes 4-5 days between watering
Nutrients: Canna Coco A+B and Calmag - feeding ~2-3ml/gallon of A+B and 4-5mL/gallon of Calmag per watering (I feed each time).
pH: 5.8 in and tested 6.1-6.2 out - have started giving them 5.5
Strain: Variety of Auto flowering, thin leaved plants are NL and the others are Tangerine Dream
Light: 315cmh ~28" above the canopy - 24/7 lights on
Using a 3x3 tent
Humidity: 40-50%
Temps: 66-68F
Areas affected: The entire canopy seems the worst, the lower leaves look almost perfect.
pH meter is 100% calibrated.

This has been going on for well over a month, I've inspected really closely with a magnifier and cannot find any pests. The leaves do have some balls which sort of look like mite eggs but I've yet to find a single mite and have inspected well over 20 leaves by this point. When I look very closely (40X) pretty much every leaf has these balls on them so I don't think they're mite eggs unless literally everything is covered in eggs and there's no webbing/actual mites to be found.

I suspected light burn so I moved the light to the top of my tent, even when the light was lower to the canopy the leaf surfaces were only about 72F. I've noticed the tips are all slightly yellowed, then as it progresses they turn white then brown as you can see from the pictures. Some leaves just have random splotches of bleaching, completely white even on the backs of the leaves. The leaf tips all show signs of it and slowly begin to turn upwards. Purpling on some stems is apparent as well. The NL plant (thin leaves) has had it the worst and you can really see the progression. It felt like maybe a lack of nutrients as according to the charts I'm on the low end of feeding for canna A+B but I'm afraid of stepping up the feeding as when I did things didn't seem to improve. I tried a flushing followed by a heavier feeding and they didn't respond too well. On the older plants the leaves look like they're being sucked out (yellowing) but it's only happening at the top of the canopy for the most part.

Based on what I've researched it also looks a lot like cal or mag deficiency but they're getting 4-5ml/gallon every feeding - could they require more?? I really don't want to add more stuff to them until I've got a handle on where I'm at, thanks for any feedback!

https://imgur.com/a/EYagqMr
https://imgur.com/a/A8FyKx2

https://imgur.com/a/FV8dzH6
This picture is important because it's my smallest plant, this is just starting to show up on this plant as 99% of the rest of the leaves are a perfect dark green. Note the edges are slightly turning up and the splotching of bleaching randomly.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I think calcium is your best bet. NOT cal-mag but Calcium. You may wish to try calcium nitrate or calcium sulfate instead. Got any pictures of the plants as a whole?

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Shit it could be some other weird potassium/magnesium/calcium fight- hard to know on just pictures but we can get close. (and in looking at the Canna label, your K is quite low.) Too much Mg blocking Ca and K results in apoptosis/what looks like Ca deficiency. Bump N, Ca, and K on just the right amount of feeds and you should be able to ride this out.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
RJ, sorry you are having a problem with this grow. It looks like a water issue to me, but I may be wrong. What is your starting water? RO, tap, well, lake,? If you are using tap and adding cal-mag you can have problems.