What's new

show us your "just say ""fuck it"" property"

GOATNUTS

damn, thats the middle of nowhere...i dont know if i could do the whole no electricity and grey water thing though...

G

GOATNUTS said:
damn, thats the middle of nowhere...i dont know if i could do the whole no electricity and grey water thing though...

eezy peezy japaneezy

FAR easier than dealing w/ people and society..I'm sic of all that bullshit.

Laxpunker

Hmmm I'd pick some nicer land if you're set on Alaska. Also if I'm gonna do the whole living off the land ordeal I'd rather build my own cabin. There'd only be three rooms in the whole thing to maximizing on heating (which would be wood); a bathroom, rootcellar and livingroom/bedroom/kitchen where the stove would be located. Also I'd be comfortable with at least triple that amount of land...5 acres isn't that much to call home.

G

Laxpunker said:
Hmmm I'd pick some nicer land if you're set on Alaska. Also if I'm gonna do the whole living off the land ordeal I'd rather build my own cabin. There'd only be three rooms in the whole thing to maximizing on heating (which would be wood); a bathroom, rootcellar and livingroom/bedroom/kitchen where the stove would be located. Also I'd be comfortable with at least triple that amount of land...5 acres isn't that much to call home.

i grew up in backwoods alaska, and your right on some points. (but a nicer place in alaska means population)..which doesnt make it nicer...I need land that i can be live a subsistance lifestyle and not be around peeps.

more land is a must..and I've built my own cabins before....

the land in that area is is not populated...so 5 acres is more like 5000 acres...and lots of public land are adjacent.

I'm down ta build my own place again...thats no prob.

G

Hey Yukon,

You'd need good dry-trail access for during break-up and freeze-up; the rivers, as you know, take longer to freeze, and are faster to thaw than the lakes, as a rule. And in the warmer part of the state, it's somewhat more precarious transporting on the ice on the rivers.

I didn't see a price anywhere.

The thing sounds like a seasonal cabin, in terms of insulation values.
-----------------------
>>>The foundation is three 16" (?) glue-lam beams supported by treated 4x4 treated posts.<<<

That caught my eye. It's a shit-load of weight to be perched on copper napthanate-treated 4"x4"s. Something that size seems like it needs bigger posts; 6"x6" miniimum, if not 8"x8".
----------------------
But for the right price, it's certainly got potential. It'd be a nice start, and there's good fish there. Lots of bear too.

Having it already set up for both AC and DC is excellent. In my opinion, all remote cabins/homes should be wired like that; heavy wire for DC and standard wiring for AC, with a battery back-up and inverter system.

If the water tests o.k., you could also fit a series of standard filters and and carbon filters to at least take care of dishes and laundry with a hand-dug leach field, or even maybe transport a small hoe in there in the coldest part of winter for the leaching pit. With a nice reverse osmosis set up out there, who knows?.

But transporting equipment like a hoe or dozer, etc., on warm-climate ice is dangerous; my son's friend's dad went through the ice on a D-8 this last winter up near Eureka. :badday:

Looks inviting over-all, but if it were to be a full-time gig, it'd need some modifications.

moose eater

Laxpunker

Building your own place gives you a sense of satisfaction. The design I mentioned is what I use for my "deer camp". It works well, the less rooms the less distance the heat has to travel.

I was just saying more land because I wouldn't want to be so close to people, however if that is a fair distance away from people that works well. However a flatter area might be a little more convenient.

I like how the ad says "Bears can no longer gain entrance" in reference to the root cellar. Where I live that wouldn't really bother me so much, black bears aren't really that dangerous (in fact my Golden Retrievers put up enough racket that they've scared bears away before). Grizzly's on the other hand are a bit more...well lets just say I might keep my .45lc close at hand and loaded HOT.

G

Hey Yukon,

I went into the site you used, and saw several properties that were interesting.

This one....

http://www.remoteproperties.com/tal-pete/denaliview.html

....has Denali State park as neighbors on one side of the lake, meaning no development for the forseeable future, only 4-5 miles of trails to improve for decent, year-round, snowmobile and ATV access, and is near the uber-grower-friendly community of Talkeetna. (Voted near 75% in favor of legalization in 2000 and 2004).

On the down-side, there are other lots being offered there, if not already sold.. And it's likely in the 'Mat-Su Tax-You' Borough

There's plenty of moose in that area, as well as bear. And it's not nearly as cold as in the Winter as in the Interior, more often than not.

Reach the pavement at the Parks Hwy, and you're about two hours+ of fast driving from Los Anchorage.

You can also search Robert Fox real estate. He lists remote properties as well.

He's got some very nice lake trout, moose and bear areas on lakes in the colder (during the Winter) Interior, too. Up in the Brooks Range, but that's -way- out.

I'd post the remote properties with trail access that I know of, and that I've been interested in, but my friends in that area would give me hell for advertising a good thing.

Good luck. There's a lot of good property out there.

If it were my call,. I'd try to make a point of getting something outside of an organized borough, and avoid the property taxes and codes. But one that offers good trail access year-round, even if you have to cut 'em in yourself. And one that offers good fishing for subsistence quantities, and good hunting for large meaty game animals.

The one that you've posted has some of that.

moose eater

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I've thought about it before.

any tips on finding local rural property? I've never really looked too hard to be honest but all I ever see are houses.

I know there must be cheap property. my friend says in north dakota you can buy acres for 200 dollars. there must be cheap land here somewhere.

G

If I were to leave the States, this is one of several places that I would strongly consider:

http://www.viviun.com/AD-25549/

If I could only convince the Maoists that I have nothing against them, and that I sincerely wish that they didn't have anything against me either.... ;^>)

I PMed you on the cariboozlers, Laxpunker.

moose eater

G

those are some damn nice places guys ...keep 'em comin'

"moose" the property I posted is $60,000 (thats what they are asking anyway)...I'm sure a pretty big price reduction could be had w/ some negotiating on a remote parcel (as its not everyones cup of tea)

I liked the one u suggested too, and found this one which I really really really like (it needs a ton of work to make a perm. residence tho)...this one is a LARGE parcel (25 acres) and comes w/ a small "rustic" cabin they want $56,000 for this one.

http://www.remoteproperties.com/tal-pete/safari3.html

this is what I'm talkin about: (pic from above property)

cabin-w-4-wheeler-in-summer.jpg

a quick q? "moose" I do love the talkeetna area, but is there an "accessible" area anywhere near there that is NOT over-run w/ snowmachines all winter long ("accessible" to me would mean w/ in about 10 miles from a road, but have at least trail access)

I love snowmachines dont get me wrong , but to hear them constantly...well it kind of ruins the "middle of no-where" "backwoods recluse" experience.

-yukon

Last edited:
G

Hey Yukon,

The Nepal property that I posted sports a price that I suspect strongly is set for gringos on the internet.

The one that you put up last, closest to this post, might or might not be some good turf. You'd want to take a first-hand look, and make sure that the wet trails that they're talking about don't amount to a whole lot of muskeg or permafrosted black spruce bog that'd make building a serious home somewhat of a nightmare. I'm not familiar enough with that specific area to say more.

A good water source nearby (especially a good creek with rock bottom, and year-round water-flow, even if beneath the ice), is a necessity

>>>The property is almost totally surrounded by state land for your privacy and is on a knoll giving a commanding view over the whole area<<<

As much as I hold significant disdain for the govvy, when they're the only land owners on your boundaries, and you're remote, there's little building gonna' go on around you for a while. Then you've just gotta' remind the occasional lost 'tourist' that it -is- private turf. And getting high ground, such as the 'knoll' they've referenced is a plus for wind and solar power, drainage during wet season and radio/t.v./wireless internet reception(s).

If the trail is wet much of the year, you can find older, good condition track vehicles of a variety of manufacture that will/can haul serious weight internally and pull well too. Some of the older Bombardiers are that way and Thiokol too; anything from a little three-seat J-5 to their older, larger track rigs that'll haul 6-8 folks, and pull a bunch of fuel on a trailer/sled. Several manufacturers and vendors selling used equip in a variety of restoration/condition. And you can pop a 4-banger in one with some modifications, and gear reduction to make up for torque. Google Snow Cats, Snow Tracs, Track vehicles ... something to that affect.... It's been a while, and my brain feels rusty right now.. There's a place in Idaho, one in Minnesota, and another someplace else, too that I've seen that vend such stuff..

You can typically find something used that runs well and is small enough to be economical for around $5,000-$10,000. You can also pay as much as you would for a small house for a newer Nodwell.

NZ has also been someplace that 'we've' spent time discussing at my home. NZ or Nepal are at the top of the lists, and since no one's trying to kill gringos in NZ right now, and I have three kids, it probably takes precedent over Nepal. Teaching my kids to shoot right now involves mostly .22s and .30-30s, not M-60s. ;^>)

moose eater.

Last edited:
G

this came from the desc. on the first property I posted:

The rest of the paneling for the living room is behind the couch

NOTHING says Alaska more than that...(well they could have said under the "blue tarp" behind the couch. LOL

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
yukon said:
eezy peezy japaneezy

FAR easier than dealing w/ people and society..I'm sic of all that bullshit.

fucking a, i hear thee yukon. loving that property, hope you get yourself to a similar one soon.
i need to do that as well, but the cost of land is something i cannot afford atm, hoping soon i will.
jah bless. :joint:
peace.

Last edited:
G

"Next to the dog houses, under the blue tarps, out by the stack of last year's moose bones. It may need to be dried out before using it.... But it's in good shape. Really!"

moose eater

G

I have a friend from NZ...he's a weed grower too...and he grew up un-civilized...and it shows.

I hear tons of great stuff about NZ, he's engaged to an American girl I know.

They came to Kodiak when I lived there, and fell in love w/ Alaska...he'd stay in a second he said many times.

the last few years Americans have had a "bad rap" all over the world as most ya know....and NZ isnt any different...we aren't real popular anywhere I guess.

I do understand, but its not me.

I'll still stick to my guns (npi) and stay in the US...I just want a place where I can be 100% self-sufficient...and no one can bother me...why is that so hard?