What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

light spots and some stunting

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=465237&stc=1&d=1533455058 This how most of my plants look. They seem small for their age which is around 2 weeks I guess. The plants are 2 to 3 inches wide. The other varieties are similar.

I have them on fox farms with some bloom powder and earthworm castings and perlite mixed up. I use distilled water. The plants I had last run had the same look so I changed the soil out and new bloom stuff too. I measure so not too much of anything.

Do not see little bugs on the undersides of the leaves, nothing. Have seen very tiny bugs in the soil but nothing flying or crawling anywhere. Just saw the bug or bugs once or twice. Super tiny. Just checked under magnification and there is a black dust look under the leaves. Super fine dots like a dust. No bugs visible.

Kept looking under magnification and did find one bug on the underside of a leaf. I think this is bug damage. Have had loads of fungus gnats before but this seems different. I can move the soil around and get a few moving if I keep at it but hardly any on the plants or I do not see them. Super tiny bug tan color I guess. Not black. Trying to stay organic here so no heavy products. Have bt powder, Lavender soap, Neem oil on hand.

Attachments

• SAM_0848.jpg
    SAM_0848.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am guessing thrips from my reading so gonna make some Peppermint Bronners water and drench the soil. Most all the bugs are in the soil, very few roaming the leaves.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I would never attempt fixing problems on plants that young and small with any kind of nutes and/or pesticides.

If they look like that at 2 weeks, I would just remove them, along with the medium they are in, and start over..

If they seeds were very special, and I had no more of them, I would quarantine the seedings and see how they do on their own.
And start new ones of another variety in the main grow room....

Koondense

Veteran
My bet is on high temperatures or pests.
To get rid of any gnats I use yellow sticky paper with great results.
Hopefully they will recover soon.

Cheers

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=465237&stc=1&d=1533455058 This how most of my plants look. They seem small for their age which is around 2 weeks I guess. The plants are 2 to 3 inches wide. The other varieties are similar.

I have them on fox farms with some bloom powder and earthworm castings and perlite mixed up. I use distilled water. The plants I had last run had the same look so I changed the soil out and new bloom stuff too. I measure so not too much of anything.

Do not see little bugs on the undersides of the leaves, nothing. Have seen very tiny bugs in the soil but nothing flying or crawling anywhere. Just saw the bug or bugs once or twice. Super tiny. Just checked under magnification and there is a black dust look under the leaves. Super fine dots like a dust. No bugs visible.

Kept looking under magnification and did find one bug on the underside of a leaf. I think this is bug damage. Have had loads of fungus gnats before but this seems different. I can move the soil around and get a few moving if I keep at it but hardly any on the plants or I do not see them. Super tiny bug tan color I guess. Not black. Trying to stay organic here so no heavy products. Have bt powder, Lavender soap, Neem oil on hand.
Maybe the earthworm castings were a little hot - sometimes they're high in nitrogen. Also, all soil mixes should be left to stand for at least a week, preferrably a month, before planting in it.

Also, the plants don't need a lot. If you just start with the foxfarm, and either blooming powder or a low solution flowering food, they have more than enough to put a good root system on the plant from the phosphorus, and a strong stem from the potassium.

Small plants don't grow a lot so they don't need a lot of nitrogen, and basically always less than phosphorus and potassium.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I forgot to add I have revegging plants in there and most have the same thing with the leaves. They had it before the seedlings did. I have been using this soil mix for years and nothing like this so I think pests. It has been hot in the tent but do not think that was it.

I killed or nearly killed some seedlings a while back when I used a soil drench. Not sure what I used, neem or what. I think it was neem and soap. I will go slow with a small concentration of soap for now. I do not need to spray the leaves as I can remove the few bugs by hand at this time.

These are all special seeds so do not want to scrap the project and start over.