What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

US Dollar Very Weak

Laxpunker

Aye, it's not a bad investment aside for not getting payed for 10 years.

Business Opportunity
The Hemp Hotel is expanding.

Those of you who have stayed with us know that the Hemp Hotel is quite small. We are looking to expand by purchasing a larger building.

In the last five years the Hemp Hotel has become a world wide well known hotel (through Discovery Channel and various guide books) and it has been impossible to give all those who want a room a place to stay.

We want to make the Hemp Hotel bigger and better, and for that we need investors. What we are offering is 7% interest a year and repayment of the original amount in ten years (10% each year). Everything will be drawn up by our lawyers and administered by our accounts office. If you have any interest in being a part of this business opportunity please contact us at:

G

Hey BG,

I use the same exchange monitoring site that you do.

Before the EU's constitution got voted down, the euro was almost worth double the U.S. dollar. After their proposed constitution got squelched, it tapered down somewhat, and I haven't checked euros in a bit, but it was (a month or two ago) averaging from $1.18 to $1.31 U.S. to the euro

We routinely exchange Canadian $ when we visit there each year. When Shrub was elected for round one, we were getting $1.59.6 CAD to the U.S. dollar. The other day I checked and we were getting about $1.10 CAD, or so. It's even been lower than that in the last several months or so.

The New Zealanders intentionally inflate their currency, and I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but we were still getting about $1.64 NZ to the U.S. dollar the last time that I looked, several weeks ago.

If I pull up stakes here, it'll be to head for either NZ or Central Asia, and value and life-style will be two -BIG-reasons why.

moose eater

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
on a positive note LOL gas prices are down...FOR NOW! lmao HAHAHAH i need a beer! HMM A CO-INCIDENCE??? I THINK NOT!

M

Mr. Nevermind

nycdfan042 said:
on a positive note LOL gas prices are down...FOR NOW! lmao HAHAHAH i need a beer! HMM A CO-INCIDENCE??? I THINK NOT!

Nope, its an election year and republicans are trying to throw the people a bone in hopes they'll be re elected. I find it troubling that on Labor day gas prices went down. They are down as much as $.30 a gallon nationwide. What a joke. After elections it goes right back up due to a "heating oil shortage"

nevermind

canaboid

^^^ hmm, on the same subject, anyone think about how they justtt found a massive oil-field in the gulf of mex, rigght around election time

G

canaboid said:
^^^ hmm, on the same subject, anyone think about how they justtt found a massive oil-field in the gulf of mex, rigght around election time

Don't get me started about this one. The oil has been there for years. I know this for a fact. My father been in the oil field for many years. In the 80's it was cheaper for them to buy in the middle east. What do the oil companies do. They put the caps on the wells and fire everyone. A bunch of bullshit. You want to hear another one. I just heard the other day from a friend surfing down in puerto rico. They bought a bunch of diesel for a $1.60 something. Now that's a bunch of bullshit if you ask me. When diesel here is right at 3.00 bucks. I can go on for days about fuel and all the BULLSHIT about us not getting enough. Some of you know, i used to live up in the Brooklyn area. Well, you can go out to South Hook and watch the Super Tanker's come in 24/7 365 and they are off loading as fast as they can. Now, before you say there isn't enough coming in. BULLSHIT, i use to deck hand on the Tugs that would move the fuel around. What are they doing with the fuel? Storing it for winter time to make a ton of money. I asked one of our company Big Wiggs and he said that was our bonus. I said bonus? Well he ment his bonus. They are storing for winter time and lieing to everyone and letting it out slow for a higher profit. To me, that's not right.

OK, back to my problem. I'm moving out of the USA for good. How do i get my USD out without taking a big hit on converting USD over to Euro's? Thanks for all the post and help
Take care,
BG

PS, I've worked for Exxon, Mobil and i've seen it with my own eyes. Mobil was the worst one. They would move fuel around like a chess board and sit and wait for the money to roll in. Assholes

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
gas is twelve cents a gallon in venezuela. for years they've been exporting a non renewable resource out of 3rd world countries dirt cheap without giving the actual country a dime for it and its bullshit. they do the exact same thing to us here in la. they just found a reserve off our coast that is equivalent to 40% or more of or nations current gas reserve and they aren't going to give us a dime of it. they'll still let our city rot here with unpicked up garbage. yet if we decided to secede from the union we could live like saudi's.

G

motaco said:
gas is twelve cents a gallon in venezuela. for years they've been exporting a non renewable resource out of 3rd world countries dirt cheap without giving the actual country a dime for it and its bullshit. they do the exact same thing to us here in la. they just found a reserve off our coast that is equivalent to 40% or more of or nations current gas reserve and they aren't going to give us a dime of it. they'll still let our city rot here with unpicked up garbage. yet if we decided to secede from the union we could live like saudi's.

I agree with you totally about LA and i know what LA mean and it's not Cali. I've lived on the Bayou in my younger years. Live in Cuttoff for about 2 years. Lived in a fish camp on lake pontchartrain for about a year. I really loved and have a blaste in St Charles parish. My dad started out laying pipe in the Swamps for the gas companies. Then move over to the rigs. I know the fuel business all to well. He's still in it and over 30 years now. It's crazy how they rip everyone off on price fixing. Hang in there Brother. LA will get back on it's feet one day. I was over your way a few months back and know what your talking about. Was over at boats by Kirk in DES ALLEMANDS. You got to love those boats.
Take care,
BG

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah thats my neighborhood for sure. I've spent endless hours of my life on the sea wall of lake pontchatrain.

KingRalph

control the federal reserve and how much money is dispersed and you essentially control the economy, nevermind the necessities companies in ties also... our economy fits in the palms of their hands, it's not as complicated as people make it out to be.

not having a gold-based currency makes the dollar fall n fall as we gain more n more debt.... recent military appropriations bill somethin like $468 billion next year... yeah the dollar will keep fallin...

exchanging our currency? like folks say, gold... transporting gold is tough, but electronically not so tough these days, anonymity included, makes for a viable money transportation route... that doesn't focus so much on the pathetic losses of the dollar lol.

check out the Big Mac Index... judges economies/currencies based on the cost of a big mac in each country hehe pretty interesting... http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml

naga_sadu

Man, i just checked on XE.com and did a convertion for the USD to UK Pound. Boy, was i majorly shocked. Right now the US dollar is equal to .53 cents and if you convert UK Pound over to US dollar. You get a whole $1.90. Man, i didn't think it was that bad. I guess we brought it on our self, or should i say our government did. Just doing alittle research for marketing over in UK and just saw the convertion. I think i need to sell most of my books over there and then have UK pounds sent over to me, but i'm sure i'll get taxed. God forebid the little guy gets over legally. Just thought i would see if anyone else noticed the weak USD.
Night all,
BG

Currencies get devalued when the degree of exports rises w/ relation to the degree of imports.

naga_sadu

Sadu: isn't it the other way around?

No. When you're importing, basically your buying raw/ semi finished materials from the world market whatever it may be. So, under these circumstances, a strong US dollar will make it more advantageous for the US economy to buy more units of goods at per unit dollar. if 1$ = 40 Rupees, and say a lb of steel costs 20 Rupees, you can now buy 2lbs of steel nearly. Whereas if 1$ = 20 Rupees, you would able to buy only 1 lb.

So, if an economic conditions in the US requires material imports, in say, the third quarter of 2007, they'll start adjusting all the appropriate determinants of forex such as interest rates, circulation rates, etc, etc. Within 2007, you end up with a stronger USD and an import spree begins...

If you're exporting goods out of the US, for example, it helps to have a weaker USD. Because you can export more of your good at a globally competitive price. So, if 1$ = 40 Rupees, and say a digital cam costs 1$, you can offer 1 camera for 40 Rupees in the Indian market. If again, 1$ = 20 Rupees, you can sell it for 20 Rupees instead, with the same fixed costs. Because whatever happens in the foreign economy, the US one will still function by dollars.

In more non capitalist economies, this won't hold true because shit was pegged was like 30+ years. But US economics is largely dictated by corporations. They purchase and dispatch materials in phases. As in buy for 2 quarters, process it for 1, and prepare for dispatch the next. The forex element involved is always tailoured to suit them as well. Pegging down the currency to induce corporate volume cash (thru exports) does induce a condition where prices rise faster than wages within the US. This definately means more hardship for ordinary working class, but this factor doesn't figure into the decision making process of the decision makers there.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
the UK pound is just strong now

so UK pounds (and Euro as well) have been strong for a while. It's been years since 1 euro's been around 1.25 to 1.30 $, nothing new in here !

Irie !

G

Current rates on xe.com for U.S.D. to Euro, and back again.
--------------------------
1.00 EUR
Euro = 1.27221 USD
United States Dollars
1 EUR = 1.27221 USD 1 USD = 0.786031 EUR
-------------------------
It was about $1.85 or so, USD. to 1 Euro before the rejection of the EU constitution.

Lack of solidarity brought the speculators down a fair bit.

moose eater

G

Well Moose, that's up from what i posted. I think i'm just going to open a USD account over there and have a broker just transfer in over to Euro's when the USD comes up alittle more and take less of a hit. Just trying to reduce my hit as little as possible. Trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. Got to make that first year atleast break even with the business. Looking out for my well being and the business that will be at hand. Think i'll buy my house and rent the store front first. Let's hope the USD comes up some more. Thankd for everyones feedback and feel free to post more great idea's.
Thanks

G

The last time that I was in Arnhem, NL, the U.S. dollar was getting 1.85 guilders (before the mandatory conversion to Euros). At the Turkish-run grocery down the block from my friends' place, Grolsch was .79 Guilders for a 12 oz. bottle, making it about .40 cents USD. The best Nepalese black temple ball and Nepalese black slab was creamy smooth, like half-melted chocolate trickling down your throat, and produced the sensation of a warm invisible fuzzy blanket falling over your whole body and head; 22 Guilders! ($13-$14 US, coffe house price).

I kinda' liked it when Holland seemd like it was -on sale- every place I turned!!! :yummy:

If I were you, BG, I'd wait 'til the U.S. dollar gets down to $1.18 or less to the 1 Euro, and buy a shit-load of Euros. Then wait til the Euro- Dollar equation comes back up to a stronger Euro of, say, 1 Euro to $1.35 or more U.S. and sell those Euros as fast as you can.

Then do it again.

Hell, it worked for George Soros, why not us? (Though he was playing with more money than I've got....)

moose eater

Last edited:

SmokeyPufmaster

Veteran
Historically the dollar is strong compared to the pound. In the 1960's the rate was five dollars to every pound. When I first went to the UK in the early 1980's the rate was 2.2 dollars to the lb. Now due to the US's looming diffuculties it's heading back up to those previous levels.

Don't get me started on the gas company's. They are robbing us without a gun. Their the only business that can make record profits while having 'trouble' maintaining their resources. And why no new refineries for 30 years? Because they can make record money by producing less. Name another business that can use that business model. We're being riped off by the companys we support and all we do is baa like sheep.

Latest posts

Latest posts