What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why prohibition really pisses me off

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
Just got back from visiting my cousin in Brazil and it really changed my views. I always supported pot legalization but thought hard drugs should remain illegal. After going with my cousin to the favelas to buy some pot I was fuckin shocked. The first thing I noticed was a big dude standing on the street corner with an ak47 (i think) and 4 grenades around his waist. When the police come into the favelas to arrest the drug gangs they don't run...they fight. Statistics say over 1000 children under the age of 18 are killed in the favelas every year by police or enemy drug gangs. I swear I saw kids as young as 12 (i think) holding all sorts of pistols and automatics. Apparently the leader of 1 of the local drug gangs called C.V is 16 years old! You gotta admitt that a 16 year old in charge of the lives of countless gang members is pretty scary.

Anyways don't wanna rant so I'll quit and get to the point. It is no fucking way fair that these kids have gotta be dying to stop idiots making dumbass choices (don't wanna offend any cokeheads). Prohibition is killing these underprivelaged favela kids to stop some rich white dudes from killing themselves. Fucked up? I sure think so and my new opinion is that not just pot but all drugs should be legal. anyway sorry to rant but I'm way pissed off.
peacenpot

sogman

I think legalizing ganja is an informed and well made decision, which has not been fully carried out yet! but its in the works.
Drugs only go as far as you take them, I'm not certain of the Netherlands policy on drugs beside marijuana but I do know that they have much less issues with addiction and violence then us north americans.

Is the opium poppy legal there? and is extracting the opium legal?

Thats one drug I'm sorry to all who disagree with me but it is a must try, hands down. I'll try anything organic you can do morning glory seeds and they contain a derivative of LSD's natural ingredients.

As far as addiction goes, I agree it's a scary thing but where you draw the line is where you understand what your dealing with. I've heard synthetic crap like Meth takes days to come down off fully, who wants that anyway. Make the organics legal!

sogman said:
I think legalizing ganja is an informed and well made decision, which has not been fully carried out yet! but its in the works.
Drugs only go as far as you take them, I'm not certain of the Netherlands policy on drugs beside marijuana but I do know that they have much less issues with addiction and violence then us north americans.

Is the opium poppy legal there? and is extracting the opium legal?

Thats one drug I'm sorry to all who disagree with me but it is a must try, hands down. I'll try anything organic you can do morning glory seeds and they contain a derivative of LSD's natural ingredients.

As far as addiction goes, I agree it's a scary thing but where you draw the line is where you understand what your dealing with. I've heard synthetic crap like Meth takes days to come down off fully, who wants that anyway. Make the organics legal!

Netherlands herb and mushrooms are legal and I think something else but I cannot recall. Mory glories contain lsa...similar to lsd but you can't really compare the two...

rsteeb

Some people can't deal with drugs in a healthy fashion. Drug abuse can harm, maim and kill. None of that is any kind of controversial.

Prohibition is promoted by people with delusions of superiority and the desire to control. It does damn little to mitigate the damage of drug abuse; but rather adds layers of atrocity and pernicious corruption.

Fucking one's self up with drugs is tragic.

Fucking someone up with criminal convictions, property forfeitures and incarceration is evil incarnate.

I do not pretend to know how to "legalize" the hard stuff, but it's absolutely absurd for cannabis to remain illegal while coffee-- much less alcohol and tobacco-- is openly marketed.

And when it comes to raids on medicinal cannabis providers, I am about ready for armed insurrection.

mars2112

always hopeful yet discontent
Veteran
o.gkushowns said:
Prohibition is killing these underprivelaged favela kids to stop some rich white dudes from killing themselves. Fucked up? I sure think so and my new opinion is that not just pot but all drugs should be legal.

you are absolutely right. prohibition is the reason why children are dying like this. because gangs and cartels run the drug trade. are there any alcohol-running cartels? no.

sproutco said:
I don't want my idiot friends killing themselves with heroin or coke. Lets try to legalize harmless pot.

me niether (although there's no proof that decriminalizing hard drugs increases the number of hard drug users). i lost my 2 best friends in the world to heroin-related suicides. and if heroin was decriminalized, de-stigmatized, and regulated by health care professionals, they would have had an easier time staying clean and getting back to a normal life. but since heroin and other hard drugs are so stigmatized and users so ostrasized from society, addicts have a hard time staying clean and feeling accepted. they are afraid to seek health care. they committ crime to support their habits, end up in jail, with criminal records, and often end up with worse habits. they are labelled junkies or addicts and end up living self-fulfilling prophecies. they overdose and contract diseases because no one ever teaches people harm reduction methods. junkies are seen as the lowest form of life, and after a while that gets to a person. when heroin is the only thing that makes you feel good, why would you not keep doing it?

it is a horrible vicious cycle that we can thank the drug warriors for.

a controlled regulated system of distribution, with harm reduction and realistic drug eduction is the only way we will get control over drug problems. when we stop jailing and start caring about people, then we will see change. drug addiction is a health problem not a criminal problem.

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
My personal believe is that all drug POSSESION should be legal. Nw I still think we shouldnt allow people to go buy coke at a store but rather instead of placing them in jail where they will not be cured place them in a rehab center. I know in some cases this happens but not in all like it should be. I think it should be like prison in which you cant leave untill youre cured but should be a place just for drug offenders. Also should have tighter security than prison to prevent relapes.

Wacky Tobacky

sproutco said:
I don't want my idiot friends killing themselves with heroin or coke. Lets try to legalize harmless pot.
yes we all agree that pot is harmless and should be legal but so should all other drugs... why you ask? because of what he just posted. if its illegal and is controled by the black market then it puts people like 16 yr old gang leaders in charge of distibution in those type of areas. ya heroin and coke are bad drugs but its better in the hands of resopsible people rather then immature gang members. if it was legal and regulated then addicts can get it from places that suply it instead of posibly getting robbed or killed trying to get it. plus the US gov spends around 50 billion dollars a year on the war on drugs so they would save 50 billion dollars and could use that money for better things like rehab for those addicts and education about drugs. i mean real facts about drugs not propoganda that they spew out on the TV.

G

I know what your getting at but legalizing all drugs would lead to a downfall in society. What needs to happen is something like the herion giveaways in Amsterdam, Its not a perfect system but It keeps people from shoothing eachother for a fix. Do you want a President on methamphetamine, you ever met a skitzer man, by the bye Im curious as to your age?

J

Jam Master Jaco

I completely agree.

And legalizing all drugs would NOT lead to a downfall in society. As human beings we have the ability to make choices for ourselves. We should know what is best for ourselves. Obviously children cannot make these decisions but that is up to their parents to enforce.

If you are too weak minded to control yourself from taking drugs, whether legal or not, you have some serious problems. Think about it, if you take a few shots of some crazy ass household cleaner you can probably get a really crazy buzz going on. But you know why we don't do that? Because it's bad. But we are given that choice, we just don't realize it. Every time you look at a bottle of chemicals you must realize that you have the ability to take off the cap and start chugging. Just like with drugs, you have the ability to take them, or not. It all depends on your personal choices. But please, the government should not be in power to be our mommies and daddies and make decisions for us. The government is there to protect us, not from ourselves or our own choices, but from foreign countries.

Legalize all drugs and vote LIBERTARIAN. :woohoo:

G

If you lock someone up for over 6 months they will be cured from their hard drug habbit, so locking them up is a good thing. The ones that it doesn't work on are to stupid to realize that the drug was a bad thing, and they just go and do it again. So if you have any sort of a rational mind you would be cured, you don't have to go to rehab to quit a chemical addiction. I've done it, it was hard but I'm here and I only smoke weed, no chems I dont even take tylenol, not that it fucks me up or anything its just that without feorign chemicals in your body you immune system drops because its being covered up. Same situation as people who are bed ridden their legs shrink and eventually if they stay bed rtidden they wont be able to walk because of muscle shrinkage. Im talkin meth man and nothing is more addicting than meth, If you think all drugs should be legal look at a time lapse picture of a meth head, their faces morph, shink and die young. I am strongly agains hard drugs, I think you need to go look at the facts and live the life before you go and say such a bold statement as to all drugs should be legal, I'm sure that all ex-chem heads would say the same.

mars2112

Veteran
Dank1 said:
I know what your getting at but legalizing all drugs would lead to a downfall in society. What needs to happen is something like the herion giveaways in Amsterdam, Its not a perfect system but It keeps people from shoothing eachother for a fix. Do you want a President on methamphetamine, you ever met a skitzer man, by the bye Im curious as to your age?

c'mon now. do you honestly think if hard drugs were decriminalized (controlled and regulated by health care professionals), that the president would suddenly become a tweaker?? i don't get your logic here.

and the "heroin giveaways in amsterdam" (not quite giveaways) are what we are talking about. we're not saying you should be able to buy balloons of dope at every walgreen's. we're saying let health care professionals treat drug addicts by regulating the drugs they use until they can wean off. with enough support and eduction to keep them safe, healthy and stabilized.

G

And legalizing all drugs would NOT lead to a downfall in society. As human beings we have the ability to make choices for ourselves. We should know what is best for ourselves. Obviously children cannot make these decisions but that is up to their parents to enforce.
Do you think a crack head can make good decisions? You want an addict to run your country, thats what would happen. Look at what drugs did to the girls, and dont think that these are random cases, dude I live in meth hell and I see it every day, thats one reason why I'm moving.

methuse.jpg

%20%20before%before%20and%20after.jpg

I dont know why the pics wont work just search "METH ADDICT" on yahoo

Last edited:

mars2112

Veteran
Dank1 said:
If you lock someone up for over 6 months they will be cured from their hard drug habbit, so locking them up is a good thing.

PLEASE show me research, studies, stats.. ANYTHING that proves this point. PLEASE! because i have worked with many drug addicts in a professional setting, and this is simply not true. i was a drug researcher and did my MA thesis on health care access among street addicts in SF. i have had to pour through volumes of research pertaining to drug use and users. and i have interviewed many hardcore addicts over several years, and jail is the last thing that helps them. trust me, i know because i was in the life, i got out of the life, and i worked with many who were in the life and were still in.. believe me i know that jail does nothing for addicts.

sorry if i sound harsh, but this is an issue i am very close to. as i said before, i lost my 2 closest friends to heroin-related suicides.

The ones that it doesn't work on are to stupid to realize that the drug was a bad thing, and they just go and do it again.

too stupid?? how about too poor.. how about lack of any decent opportunity. how about lack of any support system, people who care... access to health care..??? job training, education, housing?!?!? how about getting access to more drugs in jail.. how about getting out of jail and not knowing what else to do, except sling more drugs, because that's all you know how to do?? because you weren't taught any better, or your parents were addicts, or they died and someone else raised you.. or your husband got you addicted, or you got hooked because SSRI's didn't help you..

my point is there are many more issues related to drug addiction that you are not considering.

without feorign chemicals in your body you immune system drops because its being covered up.

huh?

I am strongly agains hard drugs, I think you need to go look at the facts and live the life before you go and say such a bold statement as to all drugs should be legal, I'm sure that all ex-chem heads would say the same.

hmm. ok. so you are basing your reaction on your personal experience and your personal opinion. so therefore all addicts should go to prison because that will cure them. because that worked for you.

i'm sure glad you are not in the position of making public health policy in this country.

and i'm one of those "ex-chem heads" you refer to (different drug, same issues). and i sure as hell don't believe drug addicts belong in prison.

G

people get addicted all the time to these glorified prescription meds, I was one of them if anyone would know it would be me, I am again going to say that until you have lived it dont make comments like these, and dont say that I have no will power because a physical addiction has nothing to do with will power, after a while your body needs the drug so you can feel normal otherwise you have shaking vomiting withdrawls you think something that can make you vomit without it should be legal?

I never said that our current president would go become a chem head, Im talking years into the future when it would become the norm.

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
Prison doesn't work to kick anyone from their drug habbit. Prison is a revolving door with most drug addicts. A better monitored center would need to be in order for them to truly be kicked from their habbit. I believe some hallucigen drugs could be taken in a proper setting, such as lsd, with proper medical professionals. If the person happens to be having a bad trip that he can't be talked out of the administration of thorazine would end the trip almost imediatly and with proper healther physitions any questions that need to be answer could be. With things like coke and meth I dont think people should be arrested for possesing them. They should be placed in treatment centers so they can kick the habbit.

G

I'm not saying that they should go to prison but that 6 months but without any drugs in their body and their physical addiction will pass, not their cravings but the physical side effects are gone. I have read this on a few sites when I was a chem head, but they are now gone, but ther are many sites try searching "drug addiction recovery" or manty others.

I find it funny coming from a guy who claims to be an ex-addict and someone who claims they try to help addicts, wants the things that are ruining their live accessable. I think in a round about way that makes you a hypocrite. Is being poor an excuse to become a junky, poor people have less money to spend on essentials, not to mention a drug habbit that is not required to live,m again these people fall under my stupid list. Sorry if that sounds harsh but thats the truth, if you cant accept that, then maybe you havent moved on yet.

Last edited:
J

Jam Master Jaco

^^ I already posted this in this thread, but I'm going to post it again.

The government should not be in power to be our mommies and daddies to tell us what to do with our bodies. We are human beings and have the ability to make choices for ourselves. The stupid people will weed themselves out of society by overdosing on their oh so precious drugs. Everyone else can make the choice for themself whether or not they want to do drugs. The choices are everywhere and we make them all the time. Life hangs on a delicate thread all the time and most people don't realize it.

But aside from my argument you aren't listening to what mars2112 is saying. He's a professional speaking his opinion and is asking you where your facts are coming from. I can see your logic in the sense that if someone is locked up in prison for 6 months and doesn't have access to drugs that they might be able to clean out their system. But here's the thing: I'm not a professional, I don't think you are either, but mars2112 is. Not trying to sound harsh, I'm just sayin'. :wave: