What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Passiflora/passionfruit growers, please come in!

dragongrower

So.
I am growing some edible passionfruit this year.
Plants are a few years old. Have been growing indoor, but never made any flowers. I am at Lat 55..

I am going to put it in my greenhouse, were it is warm and gets lots of sun..

But does someone know what makes the wines flower??
Is it age, sun or temp or something else??

I am putting it in my greenhouse today and hope it will give me some fruit this year :D

Peace

redlaser

Veteran
They grow wild in the Midwest in the U.S., I see them climbing trees and hillsides, really showy. They seemed to bloom heaviest in the spring and then maybe a few more throughout the summer.These were in riverbottom soils that would regularly flood every spring. I'd feed them lightly and shorten the daylengths to twelve twelve for a month.

kin_dawg

I've grown a couple passionfruit, a golden and black variety. With a lots of sun they will produce and ripen a lot of fruit, kept well mulched and watered for good flower set and hopefully not to windy. In my climate it's a late harvest. The types I grew were on a grafted rootstock to make them hardier and less prone to frost. I see a lot of passionfruit that is wild and unproductive.
I found the passiflora to be short lived it seems to lose vigor after a few seasons, and needs to be pruned back to major runners to keep it productive. Also it provides cover for rats and they try to get at the fruit.
With plenty of love it gives back so much fruit in fact I nneeded to freeze the pulp, passionfruit wine anyone.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
There are species out there that will not set fruit.. But they should have flowers after 2-3 years from seed. Here we don't have the climate necessary for them to ripen the fruits, but they still flower and set fruit. I keep clones indoor and put them out every spring. I had one 2 years ago that managed to overwinter outdoor, but it broke ground too late the following spring.

Latest posts

Latest posts