What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Jack the Ripper

Hello,
i've been growing Jack the Ripper from TGA subcool, and i've to say it's an incredible strain. 8 weeker and tight buds full of resin, great strain.

BUT, it's a pity to clone! I've got a very low success rate, and when it works it can be 3 weeks before rooting, most of the cuttings rot and die.
I 've tried several ways in hydro, bare roots, or in root riots, rotative or no rotative sprinklers, with a dome, or without...

Can someone share his experience cloning JTR or cloning difficult strains ?

Thx

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
I grew out jtr years ago and never had a problem rooting clones and flowering them. I recently found two seeds that I had from the same pack (5yo pack) and both turned out female. I will say that I don't remember the clones giving me a problem but this time around I have notice they are painfully slow to root...but they have and are growing fine. One clone was noticeably slower than the other but I think I have two different phenos from the looks of it and that may be a possible reason. I clone in light warrior soil from fox farms and put a clear plastic cup with a vent hole on a heating mat (this has been the key for me) away from direct light until I see them grow. I remove the dome and let them grow about 4 weeks in this soil before transferring to veg. I have had very good success with this but I always take at least two cuts from each plant just as a precaution.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-Fat stems provide better uptake and seem less prone to rotting so quickly.

-I use an Easy Cloner with 1/4 tsp pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) run for a day in tap or RO water.
-I take cuts and soak in a jar of tap water for a few minutes then dip in rooting gel then place in the cloner.
-A day or two later I'll add rooting nutrients in the cloner & top off with tap or RO water.

I've typically got nubs showing on most cuts within 7 days & thick roots 5-7 days afterwards.

My clones have mostly rooted. 2 over 8 have died, the other have taken 4 weeks to root. Those with bare stem have rooted very high, just under the plug, where there is not a lot of water, just wet air. But it's very slow !

Jahaze, don't you find it's a fantastic strain ?
MJpassion, thank for the advice about thick stems, it's true that i thought i was better thick than thin. I will try thin stems...

I did a cross of JTR and ACE malawi male. Must try it soon !

JTR is just one of those strains that tends to be hard to clone. It is pretty odd considering that it has so much sativa in it and generally speaking it tends to be indicas that are the hard ones to clone. This strain just takes a lot longer to clone so if you are having problems with mold it is a humidity issue. If you lower the RH you will be able to let them go longer without developing mold.

JTR is just one of those strains that tends to be hard to clone. It is pretty odd considering that it has so much sativa in it and generally speaking it tends to be indicas that are the hard ones to clone. This strain just takes a lot longer to clone so if you are having problems with mold it is a humidity issue. If you lower the RH you will be able to let them go longer without developing mold.

Thank you for your feedback ! Mold is on the lower part of the stem, inside the cloner.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the stem gets slimey its root rot taking hold.

Add an air stone to the rez to increse oxygen levels.

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
JTR

JTR

John LOQUE, I do like the JRT. I had a plant from the same pack that stayed in the garden for a long time. While she had a very small harvest window, she was one of the lemoniest plant I have ever smoked. Very bright lemon with a touch of fuel/petrol...very tasty. The high was very nice as I remember but taking too much would trigger anxiety. I let her go really because I got tired of it and wanted to try other lemony strain. That was a mistake but at the time it was sound reason...lol. Anyway, hope one of the two girls I have give me something close to the other one. Here they are at week 7. I think I will let em go past 9 wk before I consider chopping. I have a tall one which has a lemon funk thing that is very earthy. the second one is shorter and smells of lemon pinesol. The smell is much brighter than on the tall one.

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
Taller pheno Wk7

Taller pheno Wk7

this is the taller of the two. She stretched so fast after the switch that she created longer spacing between nodes. Lemon funk with earthy undertones.

Jahaze

subiendo el humo
Veteran
shorter pheno Wk7

shorter pheno Wk7

This the shorter of the two. She smells really nice: lemon pinesol. Has a faint piney chem smell as well. I hope this is the keeper. Better structure as well.

Thank you jahaze for sharing. I find the smell to be more like household product, those to clean the floor. LOL ! The buds are very compact. They are not very big but they don't reduce as they dry. When dry, they are very hard, it's incredible. So it's a high yielding strain !

And what about sticky fingers at harvest ? I don't like to harvest JTR because my hands are too sticky. I must wash my hands with oil twice at least during the trimming.

Great strain ! do you know their chernobyl ? Like the name suggests it should be potent ! JTR x Trainwreck