What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spurr's groundbreaking fert. mixes and methods (YouTube screen-cast and web site!)

spurr

Veteran
High all, :tiphat:

I have been getting quite a few requests for my new/current cannabis specific nutrient formulations, from fertilizer compounds. I haven't posted much lately, and I probably won't be posting much outside of this thread in the 'Nutrients and Fertilizer' sub-forum.

I have been working like crazy on my new method, well over a few hundred hours, which includes my one-of-a-kind methodology to create nutrient solutions with strong pH buffering against basic and acidic pH swings via very accurate and easy to use calculators (i.e., "Bru'n Water", UNH "Alk Calc" and "HydroBuddy").

My new methodology is unlike anything I have ever seen before, it's quite unique and very useful. All programs used for calculations are free and open source.

I really do believe my new methodology will really help growers get better results, re pH swings especially from RO water and root exudates. At they very least, I believe my methodology and formulations will give better results than any other nutrient formulations and fertilizers.

At this moment I am far too tired from working on the screen-cast I made (17:41 minutes) for folks that are visual learners vs those that learn best by reading. I have been working on this screen-cast for well over a week, and I'm going to take a break for a day. I will come back and write more about why I choose certain ratios (e.g., NO3:NH4, K:Mg, K:Ca, Ca:Mg, etc.), why I choose certain compounds (e.g,. DAP vs MAP), why I choose certain acids and bases, and why I choose certain concentrations (e.g., > 80 ppm P for full-flowering stage, > 20 ppm CaCO3 as alkalinity, etc.). Until then, please feel free to post questions, input and corrections if you notice I did anything wrong.

The screen-cast will show you everything you need to learn and do to use my new methodology, as well as my new cannabis specific nutrient formulations.

For now, please watch the screen-cast I made and uploaded to YouTube (see below), it's very high quialty if I may so say myself. I used a $300 program to create the screen-cast, add my custom bad ass cannabis soundtrack (e.g., Luis Armstrong "Muggles", Cal Calloway "Reefer Man", etc.), add lots of "callouts" to add commentary to the video, etc.

Also for now, please visit my web site for my methodology and nutrient formulations (see below). I uploaded the full screen-cast I made (~34 mb), along with important files and documents I wrote for using my methods, and my customized HydroBuddy database files.

Please see this post for simple step-by-step directions for using my default values, re alkalinity and water pH:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4713122&postcount=65

PLEASE NOTE:

My customized HydroBuddy database files contain only the fertilizer compounds needed for my formulations and methodology. You should backup your HydroBuddy directory before copy/pasting my files into the directory (folder), if you already use HydroBuddy for your custom formulations.

Below is my screen-cast video on YouTube, along with the first frame in my screen-cast:

[youtubeif]CZpXCfw4JVY[/youtubeif]

picture.php

Below is my web site, please visit the site to download needed files and the full screen-cast so you don't have to watch it on YouTube:

picture.php

P.S.
Below is my YouTube Channel, I will be uploading a second screen-cast I shall make for those who only want to use my nutrient formulations (with HydroBuddy) and not use my more involved methodology (which provide for more accurate results):
http://www.youtube.com/user/SpurrCannaInquisitor

P.P.S.
I added a few Easter Eggs into my screen-cast, all are at the same point in the video. The first ICer to find and post about the Easter Eggs gets a gold star! Here's a hint: "Foilage"
:blowbubbles::bump:

Last edited:

spurr

Veteran
My formulations for stock solution ...

My formulations for stock solution ...

Please see the following post:
re amount of potassium carbonate, potassium silicate (as AgSil 16H) and acids to add per liter, for my default formulations (not grower customization):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4708083&postcount=17

• Apply these stock solutions at 10 ml/L, each.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

spurr

Veteran
Quick Note:

One of my main goals to was to start growers off on the 'same playing field' of RO water. However, RO water is a poor choice to grow plant because it lacks needed mineralization namely alkalinity. My methodology allows for proper re-mineralization of RO water to make the RO water MUCH more ideal for plant growth vs plain RO water.

The great thing about RO water is removal of crap from tap water or well water, such as PCBs, birth control, drugs, floride, chloramine, chlorine, lots of minerals that most growers don't account for, etc., etc. That said, making RO water is not good enough, we need to then condition the RO water for plant growth. That, in a nut shell, is what my methodology accomplishes.

pH swings will be much reduced with my methodology and formulations thanks to pH buffers not found in RO water that growers use. The reasons are varied, from use of potassium carbonate, to citric acid, to a NO3:NH4 ratio of 4, to use of nearly 3 mM/L (aka mmol/L) P during full-flowering which may increase THC content.

Water-culture growers and growers using coco, or perlite, etc., should get much benefit from my methods in regard to pH control.

FWIW, I am testing "Amberlite" ion-exchange resin, as a means to remove excess H+, etc., from water, which come from root exudates and have very strong affect on pH. I have a few great studies on using ion-exchange resins for horticulture in water culture and soilless culture.

P.S.
I am pretty sure I know what's in the new product "PH Perfect", and if I'm correct (i.e., "MES") I warn everyone TO NOT USE PH PERFECT. The amount of MES needed to strongly control pH hinders plants (i.e., 10 mM). At least 1 mM is needed for pH control, but that concentration has much reduced efficacy, however, 1 mM does not seem to hinder most plants studied. Also, MES has a very acidic effect on aqueous solution, that is, once MES is added the pH must be brought back to ideal range with a strong base.

Last edited:

spurr

Veteran
Ug, one last thing, then time for bed!

To calculate the pH increase from potassium carbonate (or bicarbonate, etc.), use the following equation: log(starting ppm CaCO3/ending ppm CaCO3)

Ex., the K2CO3 (potassium carbonate) added for my methodology provides ~1.18 increase in pH. Using my working educated guess of 5 ppm CaCO3 in average RO water, and the 71 ppm CaCO3 from the K2CO3: log(76/5) = 1.18

spurr

Veteran
quite interested nice work

Thanks. I know it's a lot to ingest in one sitting. Hell, it took me weeks to come up with this (finding Bru'n Water as the hardest part!), so I hope the screen-cast will help people understand what I'm up to.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll go into much detail, re my reasoning and logic and scientific rational, soon.

:tiphat:

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i tested at genius level in school and all this makes me think im fucking stupid....

im really interested, but its to much to take in....

spurr

Veteran
Hey buddy,

Sorry about that! FWIW, I too tested in the very highest level (they wouldn't tell me my IQ score), so high they tried to recruit me out of high school to work for the Gov., with nuclear reactors and shit ... I said no fucking thanks I wanna get high! (true story)

I know it's all a lot to take in, but it's really not complicated at all. It's just a whole lot in one serving. That is why I made the screen-cast with some great songs, so it's enjoyable to learn, and easy as pie too. Just watch the video, and pause on sections where I write comments. It's best to download the video and files from my web site, that way the files are easy to read (they aren't so easy to read in my HD screen-cast video). Once you see the video I think it may be easier to grasp, watching me go though every step, one by one in the video should help, I hope.

If not I'm very willing to answer any Qs to help clear up confusion. I think the biggest factor is no one has done anything like this before, of which I'm aware, at least not in the cannabis world. So there is not only a lot of new info to take in, but also a very slight learning curve.

I made it as easy as I could, it's really quite simple once you try it.

Last edited:

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats

Spurr is out of control man he is on a whole nother level :respect:

Some amazing work here if you can use it and put it to work :good:

Much love Spurr! :canabis:

spurr

Veteran
Oh yea,

I designed my methodology so that anyone can make use of my efforts, even if they don't wish to use my cannabis nutrient formulations. I foresee tomato growers, orchid growers, et al., using my methodology in the future. As well as I foresee growers here using my methodology while using there nutrient formulations (ex., Yosemite Sam, Tester, Avenger, etc, etc., etc.).

D

DonkDBZ

Just about to finish veg gonna have to get some reading and watching done

all bud.... all bud....all...bud
hidden treasures!
secret cannabis info!

is that it?

spurr

Veteran
Just about to finish veg gonna have to get some reading and watching done

all bud.... all bud....all...bud
hidden treasures!
secret cannabis info!

is that it?

Yup :D ... gotta love ALL BUD! :dance013:
picture.php

I would have spoken in the video, but my voice is wayyyy more effeminate than Crush's, so I didn't want to be eviscerated by you meanies! (j/k) ;)

spurr

Veteran
Oops,

I forgot to list the needed amount of potassium carbonate, potassium silicate, citric acid, sulfuric acid 35% (veg and early-flowering) and phosphoric acid 75% (full flowering), if a grower chooses to use my educated best guesses. That is, RO water pH (6.0) and alkalinity (5 ppm), increase in pH from potassium carbonate (i.e., 1.18) and increase in pH from potassium silicate (i.e., 2.0). Instead of (ideally) testing their aqueous solution pH and alkalinity after adding to RO water potassium carbonate and potassium silicate, and entering that data into Bru'n Water.

Here are the needed quantity of bases, acids and potassium silicate (where silicon dioxide is converted into silicon once mixed with water, and then the silicon is converted into plant usable "orthosilicic acid" which is used at 1 mM (~30 ppm) to over 5 mM):

Vegetative formulation:
  • 0.096 g/L potassium carbonate
  • 0.324 g/L potassium silicate (as AgSil 16H) for 80 ppm Si
  • 0.024 g/L citric acid
  • 0.081 mL/L sulfuric acid (35% purity)

Early-flowering formulation:
  • 0.405 g/L potassium silicate (as AgSil 16H) for 90 ppm Si
  • 0.024 g/L citric acid
  • 0.081 mL/L sulfuric acid (35% purity)

Full-flowering formulation:
  • 0.356 g/L potassium silicate (as AgSil 16H) for 90 ppm Si
  • 0.024 g/L citric acid
  • 0.058 mL/L phosphoric acid (75% purity)

NOTE:

The quantity of citric acid, sulfuric acid (35%) and phosphoric acid (75%) will change if you test and use the pH and alkalinity of YOUR aqueous solution instead of using my educated guesses of pH 9.0 and alkalinity of 76 ppm CaCO3. If you use test results (data) of YOUR aqueous solution, re pH and alkalinity, the resulting final alkalinity will be different than using my default values of pH 9.0 and 76 ppm CaCO3.

• The goal is final alkalinity greater than 20 ppm CaCO3 (re pH buffer), final pH to be 5.8-6.0 and greater than 0.01 g/L citric acid (re pH buffer).

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for putting in the work to post that:wave: Its much appreciated!

spurr

Veteran
NOTES:

1. I forgot to write in this thread (but it's noted in my video and files), that when you use potassium carbonate and citric acid, make sure to add them both (into separate containers!) to water for an aqueous solution of the base (K2CO3) and the acid (citric). Then add the aqueous solutions to the reservoir in the correct order; don't add dry K2CO3 or dry citric acid directly.

2. For those running re-circulating systems, not drain to waste, I suggest reading the work of Bruce Bugbee. When I run re-circulating with a customized RDWC setup (re under current), I for one plan to use my starter solutions as shown in the screen shots, then for the refill solution (in a tank connected to reservoir via float value) I will use my starter solutions at 1/3 (or slightly higher) strength.
Nutrient Management in Recirculating Hydroponic Culture
Bruce Bugbee
Presented at the South Pacific Soil-less Culture Conference Feb 11, 2003 in Palmerston North, New Zealand
http://www.usu.edu/cpl/research_hydroponics3.htm

IMPORTANT:

3. I also didn't write in this thread yet (but it's noted in my video and files), that when mixing the stock solutions make sure to ONLY add 50% of the total water volume (i.e., 0.5 gallon), then measure the volume after adding the salts (e.g., 0.55 gallon), and subtract that new volume from the goal total volume (i.e., 0.55 gallon - 1 gallon). The answer (i.e., 0.45 gallon) is the volume you need to add to complete the 1 gallon stock solutions.

4. When mixing salts (direct addition) into reservoir or mixing tank, make sure to fill up the container with 95% (e.g., 95 liters) of the total water volume (e.g., 100 liters), then add all needed bases, acids and fertilizers (in the correct order!), then add the final 5% volume of water (e.g., 5 liters).

Latest posts

Latest posts