What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone using dash cams?

Being looking around online for a dash cam, and I've herd mixed reviews on how well they work at night, or how many fps...

Searching through youtbe, I've noticed the sonyexmor look pretty legit at night, and I can't really tell the difference between the ones filmed during the day...

Any input would be great :tiphat:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
there are many "Dashcam Owners" clubs, do a search for them as they will have recommendations. but really all you need to do is refine your search keywords

armedoldhippy

Veteran
don't steal one off of a cop car. they are pieces of shit that inexplicably stop filming just when you need them the most...:biggrin:

Green Squall

Being looking around online for a dash cam, and I've herd mixed reviews on how well they work at night, or how many fps...

Searching through youtbe, I've noticed the sonyexmor look pretty legit at night, and I can't really tell the difference between the ones filmed during the day...

Any input would be great :tiphat:

Wish I had one. The other day, some punks swore at me for no reason while I was at the top of my driveway and then sped off. Once I caught up to them, they pulled over near a parking lot and I confronted them. Little shits were shaking in their boots and couldn't even man up and admit what they said. Not that I would have gone to the cops (I don't do that), but it would have been nice to point out a dash cam and make them think I would. They were typical suburban kids driving mommies car on their way to go surfing.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

last thing in the world that I'd want is evidence of me escalating a situation if I feel like it's the thing to do at the time.

your camera could be friend or foe....... :dunno:

Wish I had one. The other day, some punks swore at me for no reason while I was at the top of my driveway and then sped off. Once I caught up to them, they pulled over near a parking lot and I confronted them. Little shits were shaking in their boots and couldn't even man up and admit what they said.

That sounds lame that those kids backed down pretty quick.
I just got back from the Asian market, and the computer shop had a bunch of choices. The store owner said, people usually just ask for whatever brand name it popular, and most customers don't hardwire them in. He recommended ViofoA119v2

there are many "Dashcam Owners" clubs, do a search for them as they will have recommendations. but really all you need to do is refine your search keywords

Thanks tips, just asking what everyone here on ic was using so I didn't get a bunch of troll comments, but anyways none the less, thank you for you time and input.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-10-best-dash-cams-you-can-buy-right-now

https://www.t3.com/news/best-dash-cam

G-sensor has come up a couple times. I'm not going to post the 12 hours of youtbe vids I watched today on dash cams. Just lookin for some knowledge on what's out there and where my money is best spent...:watchplant:

unique6381

I'm running Viofo 119's in my cars and SUV, recent upgrades when they were on sale for $50 last year. They're good in low light where most other dashcams fall off.

Here are some recent reviews:
best dash cam 2019

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Might be more useful to get a gopro and mount it so the image includes your speedometer. More useful when getting pulled over from the YouTube's I've seen.

I use a Blackvue dash cam that plugs into the obd port. Has a switch on it for parking mode so records even when you are not driving. Its senses movement and starts recording automatically. Also wont drain the battery as it will cut off when the battery gets to a certain level. Expensive but definitely worth it.

Forgot to mention that it also has a rear camera. That 1 just powers from the main camera and the wire runs along the headliner. It has an app where you can instantly view and download the footage to your phone.

Latest posts

Latest posts